Loss of power? intermittent turbo? Goodness knows!

Hello,

Once more I turn to the forum for help! The lads in the  local garage were left scratching their heads!

I have a 2009 Skoda 1.9tdi Estate - 108,000 miles - recently serviced - all ok

Car has been running fine.

5 days ago - started car all ok - drove a mile or 2 in built up area then onto open road - foot down - thought I was driving through treacle! Really poor. Got to my destination & since then seemed to be ok........until this morning - same thing. 

Acceleration in 2nd / 3rd really really poor takes ages to get to 40 /50 mph. As mentioned took to garage - they looked at it for an hour - no luck. Couldn't replicate on ramp in garage. A 3rd test drive - all ok !!!!! This afternoon all ok.

I did notice that when the problem is occurring that there is NO whistling sound - which is the turbo "kicking in"? Does this make sense?

HELP PLEASE - its getting round to my busy working period (again!)

CHEERS

Stuart

When it is really poor, if you turn off the ignition and start the car again, then keep driving is ok?

Do you easily replicate loss of performance when booting it up a hill?

Based on experience from my 1.9TDI (mk1), it could be sticky VNT, 'n75' value (not sure what it is called in the mk2), MAF, or MAP sensors.  On the mk1 not all instances of sticky vanes would log a fault code.

Fuel filter change is the first thing i'd be looking at if its not flagging a dtc. Cheapest thing to replace too so fingers crossed.

Fuel filter would be a problem all the time. This is a sudden and intermittent loss of power which (I suspect) will clear the issue until it overboosts again.

Fuel filter would be a problem all the time. This is a sudden and intermittent loss of power which (I suspect) will clear the issue until it overboosts again.

Good point

• 1 month later...

Sorry for delayed reply - been away / busy etc

Just to clarify - No warning lights appeared on dash

Following previous ideas I did chuck some Forte Turbo Cleaner in the tank (actually 2 lots) & some injector cleaner..............all went well for over 600 miles .....then last Saturday, trundling along 3/4th gear 40/50 mph (I guess) then sudden loss of power - sluggish, like driving through treacle or as if I were pulling a 2 ton trailer!!!!!

So - back to square one??????