Everything posted by StevesTruck
-
FS III caliper bleed nipple rounding off and not budging
Just to agree with everything @KeithCheethamput - if a 6 sided socket isn't working, I do all the above, then carefully apply the molegrips.
-
1.6 cr reliability.
The main problem on the 1.6's is injectors dying, mainly on cars that have only ever pottered around, then go on a long journey.
-
What did you do to your bike today?
The main reasons I changed are Fuel injection and ABS. The 700 is just the more modern version. And I broke it already... suspect it's plug caps, so not the end of the world, but it had a ride on a recovery truck.
-
What did you do to your bike today?
Getting the NT650 ready to go on ebay. Bought an NT700.
-
Dash change facelift double din fascia?
I have an autoleads DFP-20-02 fascia adapter. It does the job, but the fit isn't great, I probably wouldn't buy another one. Theres a fair bit of space behind the radio, so the extra depth shouldn't cause an issue.
-
Mk1 TDI 130 Engine electronics light
Best bet is to read the fault codes, otherwise it's just guessing games really. You can get basic code readers for under 30 quid. They won't do the flashy stuff, but they'll tell you why the lights on.
-
Time for an engine refurb?
She's back in the car she likes and it's working like it should do. Don't worry about how you got there.
-
MIBII - Vertically flipped reverse camera image
I had this with a cheap camera. Luckily the kenwood head unit it was plugged into had an option to flip the image.
-
312mm brake discs
They suit well! I think the disc you need is off an older Audi S3, fairly sure that's what I used when I upgraded to 312's on the caddy. I'm not 100% on that though because it's a few years ago and I can't remember what I had for breakfast most days
-
Replacing driver seat belt
Fair play. I've not worked on that part of a roomster, but normally there's two separate bits of trim. The lower plastic one covers the belt, and the upper one (normally part of the soft headlining) covers the curtain bag. I don't know if it will be the same on your car? On the fabias, the seatbelt trim has a lip down the sides that sits in the door rubber, and 4? Triangular shaped trim clips that push into the door pillar on the cars shell. It's worth using something plastic to release the trim from the door rubber, then if you want, you can take that bit of rubber off the door frame so the trim isn't twisted, and run a small prybar trim tool up the back of the trim. Get it as near as you can to the clips, then it's a straight pull away from the pillar to release them. If you're a bit more fatalistic, as I am, to can also just wiggle and pull the trim off the pillar. All of the above, assuming it's the same as a fabia.
-
Replacing driver seat belt
How frayed is it? If it's a few straggley bits on an otherwise good belt, it is possible to tidy them up with a cigarette lighter.
-
1.6tdi starts, runs for 2 seconds, then stops ?
Do these have a stop valve/solenoid? Could equally be that as much as the immobiliser.
-
Tell me about the 2000s VAG petrol engines!
Avoid the 1.2 petrol in all it's forms, and generally anything with an Aluminium block. I'm also not a fan of any direct injection petrol engine.
-
What's it worth? 2005 Estate
.
-
Suddenly need a new car on a tight budget... recommendations please!
My last two have been small traders listing their p/x's on ebay. Both have had niggles, but nothing major.
-
Fabia Clutch Kit
To be fair, euro do send what you've ordered when they say they're going to send it, the down side is trying to work out what you want to order from their website. You'll have a choice of two parts. One will say something like 3 bolt fixing, the other will say something unrelated like 270mm diameter. I'd rather ring my local parts place and have a chat with someone who knows what they're doing. Cheaper too.
-
How to lock car without alarm or how to disable alarm?
A couple of people that I go kayaking with use a combination code key safe that's like a padlock and hang it on the roof rack or the towing eye. I just take my van and leave the keys in the back. If you don't know exactly where to punch the back door, it's not opening
-
Fabia Clutch Kit
I don't rate autodoc at all, slow despatch and delivery. I paid extra for a Hitachi sensor off them and they still sent some random crap that lasted 3 days.
-
Fabia Clutch Kit
Can't go wrong at that really. We've had a couple of Luk flywheels not last well in transit flatbeds, bit that could be in part down to how they're treated
-
Suddenly need a new car on a tight budget... recommendations please!
Same here My general rule buying cars at this end of the market is to spend half my budget, and save the other half for making sure it's right. I tend to think the only difference between most £1000 cars and most £2000 cars is a wax and polish. I bought a mk2 octavia 1.9 in a hurry back in November, spent about £1000 on the car, and left myself some budget for what it's needed (wheel bearing, header tank, battery, MAF), which is stuff I'd be suspecting most cars it's age would be needing sooner or later anyway. £300 and some spanner time and I'm happy that it doesn't really need anything.
-
What's the purpose of the Octavia 4x4?
It's got them, it's still terrible.
-
What's the purpose of the Octavia 4x4?
Having done a couple of 80 mile round trip commutes in the ice and snow in my 2wd 1.9 DSG.... I can see very much the point in the 4wd version. Mine's terrible at winter driving
-
2014 vrs tdi engine squeak sound.
If I'm doing a stab in the dark, I'd say it's going to be a roller/pulley/tensioner. Did they say were replacing a full kit? Is it worse if you start the engine from cold and stick the headlights on (basically load up the alternator)?
-
Front wheel bearing
Yep, doing that with it on the car worked well. Thanks chaps
-
Is my Outer CV gone please, car in bits (not like crying) ? Really appreciate if you can help and look at quick video
Looks alright. Any radial (clockface) play innit?