Skip to content

StevesTruck

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by StevesTruck

  1. Petrol or diesel? Either way, 100k on a timing belt, that's definitely getting your money's worth, I'd be changing that before now.
  2. Wouldn't have thought so somehow 🤣
  3. They're called "blind" or "blanking" grommets. You order them based on the diameter of the hole. You should be able to find either the size you need or an assorted pack fairly easily online, maybe eBay or Amazon.
  4. Does it rev freely in neutral? When you say you can't access vcds, do you mean you haven't got it, or it's not connecting, or it's not working properly? Has it worked properly since you worked on the vac system? I managed to cross a couple of vac lines on my 1.9 Octavia, it was ok to start with, but then suddenly would be well down on power. After a day it would barely run. I'm wondering if you might have run the wrong hose to the actuator, which is pretty much what I did.
  5. Not easily, no. The easiest way is to take the pipe off the filter and run the fuel pump (either via bypassing the relay or flicking the key many, many times).
  6. Having worked around the retail sector for a very long time, no, the customer isn't always right. I've dropped a fuel pump nozzle in a similar way resulting in diesel going down the leg of a decent pair of trousers and over my shoe. My fault, I didn't check it was hooked on right before I let go. I've also whacked the tank on my last motorbike with a fuel pump nozzle because the hose was a bit tangled on the one next to it. That left a mark, it was my fault though for not being more careful.
  7. Probably a bit late, but try https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/vagbolts I've used them a few times.
  8. How'd you know he was on his way to work? 😁
  9. At the very minimum, I'd replace 10+11 on the fronts and 8 on the rears, because they do get grubby and corrode, so don't normally come out without a fight.
  10. The chip shops normally return used oil via an arrangement with their supplier. Other establishments normally have to pay for the collection, so theres a chance there. To be fair, I've not really heard of anyone running on it in at least 5 years, so you've got a fair chance of finding a source of oil. The other one I used to do was filter and separate the water from waste engine oil and throw a bit of that in the tank with the veg oil.
  11. I'd be thinking is a timing issue.
  12. The other one I've used when I've been stuck is a G-clamp. Not elegant, but it works.
  13. Not quite as unlikely as someone stealing the 15" steelies off mine - I've got no idea why it had locking wheel nuts on when I bought it 🤣
  14. Is it an old-fashioned twist on can type? I normally just put a couple of latex gloves on and use the force. Cup wrench sockets are the best option if you can find one to fit. A mate has one of these and he says it's good https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/automotive-tools/halfords-advanced-adjustable-oil-filter-remover-926527.html When you order the new one, have a shop around for one with a hexagon on the end so you can just put a socket on next time (Bosch filters normally have this feature). Worst case, sharpen an old screwdriver and bludgeon it through the side of the filter and use that to lever it round.
  15. There's quite a bit of adjustment on the subframe mounts. I haven't done a golf/oct conversaion, but generally speaking if I'm dropping a subframe, I tend to paint around the old frame with some primer, then line the new one up to the edge of the paint mark, so I've got the best chance of getting it put on square.
  16. It's been a long time since I've done it. I used to run an Astravan on veg oil, but that's going back 15 years. I always took the rule of thumb to be if it's a Bosch pump, it's got a chance of working, anything else, don't even try. I always thought the older VE pumps, be it D/TD/TDI were ok if they had a Bosch pump, but the PD and SDI aren't at all.
  17. Can you run PD's on veggy? I thought it was just the older VE engine in the mk1's that would take it?
  18. I paid Halfords to fit a bulb once, it was worth every penny. It was also pitch dark and raining sideways. Also worth mentioning that the boost hoses behind the headlight were caked in oil.
  19. I just put a pair of these in dad's fabia, they give a nice bright white beam BOSCH H7 HEADLIGHT LAMP BULBS PURE LIGHT HALOGEN 477 499 12v 55w TWIN PACK A1396 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223279893281?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=oVHWpHOgT3q&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Ciw0HycsQty&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL Drivers side is really easy, passenger side needs you to manipulate the cover a bit to get it out of the engine bay due to the battery box being a bit close. Unclip the cover and move it towards the radiator. Turn it so it stands on end, and it comes out fairly easily.
  20. I'd suspect driver's side front wheel then, it feeds the wheel speed back to the ECU for that sort of thing on most VAG's.
  21. They do fail over time. If you're minded to look into it yourself: Sometimes they just need a clean (particularly if it's in a rear drum brake), or a bit of contact cleaner in the plug. Likewise, the cable that goes down to the sensor can get damaged, particularly on the fronts. The sensors themselves aren't terrible to change, just give them a spray up the night before and use a decent hex bit when you take it out, as rounding them off isn't fun. if you're fitting a new one, use a decent brand.
  22. I looked into adding a row of standard ford seats in the back of a transit van, using all the mounts and parts that ford do.... Complete headache to get the DVLA to go for it, so I'd say it's a none starter unfortunately.
  23. Glad you got it sorted. Always look for the simple stuff first 👍

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.