Skip to content

TheWanderer

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TheWanderer

  1. I just don't really trust it. Its been to Nottingham and back perfectly, the time before that I went to Nottingham and then across to Rocester to see a mate there, then made a wrong turn and ended up in Donnington over a bumpy level crossing and that sent it into an electronic mental breakdown with false alarms and the VC every few minutes from Donnington to Guildford. They fitted a new experimental wiring harness and it's fine again. But unfortunately it has had so many issues that I have lost confidence in it, but I don't know if with its abysmal reliability history it would qualify for an extended warranty!
  2. I know what it's like, mine has been in 16 times, it's now running on an experimental wiring loom, it's working so I'm not worried about it anymore.
  3. I have a somewhat temperamental RS which is now 3 years old, just passed its first MOT and will be taxed in a couple of days time. But now getting reminders about my car's warranty running out next month, so I was wondering what advice you can give me. Are they worth the money? Have you taken one out? Are there any "pitfalls"? Do you regret buying one or has it saved your bacon when something went wrong with the car? I've been quoted £338 for 12 months with Skoda Finance, all the way up to £701 from one company. Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
  4. What did you put in the tank to make it do that? 😆
  5. And extended warranty doesn't cost £1k. I've just got a quote for £338 for my 3 year old RS which I don't trust, but I'll be keeping until SUK pull their corporate fingers out of their backside and get the Mk4 software etc running correctly. If I were you I'd get some quotes for extended warranties online including Skoda's own first. But if you're looking to buy another marque then it might be pointless.
  6. One of the best posts I've seen in a long time.
  7. Well I've tried that and I suspect that they could well be the root cause of the problems. I've ditched the cheap versions and paid a bit more for duracell batteries and haven't had any problems with keys since.
  8. Well whatever you choose to do have a happy Xmas and happy new year. 😊
  9. What you can use is if you have a safety can opener is a only food can and pop them in there and replace the top.
  10. Come guys give Joss the benefit of the doubt. I've had a look and the manufacturer has replaced the old version with a "new and improved" version. All I would say is if you want to try them, do so at your own risk. If you install them, let the forum know how it went and their effectiveness. However if they do come off and do significant damage to the car's bodywork, then you can only expect scant sympathy from the forum with the response of "We told you so" Ultimately the choice is yours.
  11. Mine gave no warning. Just stopped.
  12. By law of sod the battery will expire when you are out and about, at work, evening out with friends etc. I've got a second key in my work bag in a RFID pouch, plus a second set of batteries just to make sure that I'm not locked out and don't end up waiting for a taxi to get me home at 3.30 am after a 9h 30 shift.
  13. It depends on where you live. If you live in a less salubrious place then a simple tobacco tin placed in a drawer should suffice, but you can get RFID pouches from Amazon that should work and stop anything leaking from the key. Just be aware that whilst working KESSY is great. The flipside of it, is if it plays up with battery running out at silly o'clock in the evening or morning, you won't be able to start the car without the alarm going bonkers and immobiliser kicking in. So keep a set of spare batteries in your bag or wallet so if it does stop working then you can do a simple battery change which usually fixes it.
  14. Yes, you can get them for a 20 inch wheel. Not used them myself. But if you want them get them fitted professionally. Also be aware that should they come loose the damage to the paintwork of your car can be significant as it whips around at high speed until you stop and remove it.
  15. I don't know why you are so worried about it, it's nothing special unless you are an audiophile and even then you're more likely to get a bespoke speaker system installed into the car. I think it's overrated and not worth the money for what it is and you won't get any money back by having it installed.
  16. Care to share where you got it from?
  17. The cabin is OK, the design of the infotainment system is to be quite honest crap, it's a fingerprint nightmare. Virtual cockpit resolution is pee poor, my tablet is better. External styling is awful too.
  18. From what I have seen on here I don't think that there are many if any redeeming features on the Mk4. It seems to be pretty much an unmitigated disaster for Skoda. I think that they're trying to be too clever for their own good and they're failing quite spectacularly. I seriously question the validity of the motoring media/press reviews of the vehicles from all of the software issues and reliability issues highlighted by thousands of customers across the UK. From all of the faults and complaints I'm wondering if the reviews were "sponsored" by Skoda to avoid a certain a certain word to get these awards and outstanding reviews that the Octavia has been receiving by the motoring press/media. I won't be making a purchase for these very reasons and despite my Mk3 being a right pain in the backside for the last 16 months, it's now performing well and I'll be keeping it until the PCP comes to an end and then I'll decide.
  19. It's the software that is the major issue and considering that software controls almost everything... Mechanically I think it's OK, but as I've said before until Skoda pull their fingers out of their ears and butt and get the software right so it doesn't malfunction or misbehave and does what it should without resetting, freezing etc. I won't even consider buying one.
  20. I was looking at the 128Ti or Jaguar XE 250.
  21. If you've got any sense you'd cancel it anyway with the amount of issues there are with the current model. I'm being pestered by Garlands to trade mine in for a new one and have been told NO WAY. Looking at BMW and Jaguar.
  22. I have it in my Mk3 as an option and I won't be having it again. I think that you really need to be an audiophile to know what the difference is from a standard system, especially with the road noise etc and unless you have your music encoded very high bitrate or Hi-Definition in which case I don't think that the system will play unless they've now got the necessary decoder installed into the system. Save money as you won't get a return on it when it comes to resale value.
  23. That's surprising 😮 It just might open another proverbial can of worms though as you could get further software issues as that software could be for the Australian market and not the UK one. Has anyone tried it and got it to work without any problems? 🤔

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.