Everything posted by Luckypants
-
What makes EV tires different
Very interesting as these are the exact tyres my ID.4 came with. And he's talking *******s about recharge time in that Audi, it's one of the fastest out there.
-
Disable speed limit control in ACC
I quite like the adaptive cruise on my ID.4 keeping to the speed limit. I pay attention to the road while driving and if I see a slower limit approaching, knock off the ACC and allow the car to coast down. I do get annoyed by the 'phantom braking' when the car 'sees' a limit for another adjacent road but it rarely happens for me. FWIW you can turn off ACC in the ID.4 and have plain old cruise control if you want, so I would expect the Enyaq to offer the same, as its basically the same software. I would strongly recommend reading up on it in the manual. If you want to just poke around, its somewhere in the driving aids menus.
-
Electric vehicles and charging
My home tariff this week is 25p. Fingers crossed the wind starts to blow and the Russians start sending more gas.
-
Reversing camera
Not trying to be funny, but have the dealers / factory left the plastic protective film over the reversing camera lens? Sometimes this film is hard to spot. I've resolved similar problems on phones / tablets by finding and removing the film.
-
Electric vehicles and charging
Tesco, Aldi and Asda are the 'free' chargers I have used. The local Aldi have 22kW free charge posts, no app required - literally just turn up and plug in. Tesco are widespread but I find the ones in urban areas are often busy with all points taken. In fact my first need for a rapid charge was in Congleton and tried the Tesco rapid there, but previous user managed to knock it out faffing about trying to disconnect (also a new EV driver). The 4 7kW and 2 22kW posts were all taken. Luckily there was an Osprey charger nearby to use, just a bit more expensive. Asda was useful but run by BP Pulse and I needed to add £5 credit to the app to initiate a charge. So 'free' but I have £5 floating about in BP Pulse's bank account. These are excellent facilities and have probably given me 500+ free miles in the time I've had the car. You do have to wary of parking limits on the car parks and not all locations have the same restrictions e.g. no time limit at my local Aldi but the next one over has a strictly enforced 2 hour limit with £70 penalty charge.
-
England EV Charging points, a proposal. & location & news on new charging hubs in England & Wales.
Another excellent development in charging infrastructure is Osprey's introduction of Kempower chargers. First one will be live in Wolverhampton next month. These are very clever sharing the total power available for the hub between the vehicles charging dynamically to make the most of the grid connection. Not sure if this development has made it onto this forum so here it is
-
Hyundai Ioniq 5
Yes I believe that to be the case. True highspeed chargers seem to be Ionity and those made by Tritium. The more common ABB chargers are limited by amps in this way it seems.
-
England EV Charging points, a proposal. & location & news on new charging hubs in England & Wales.
The Gridserve replacement of Ecotricity chargers has slowed down quite noticeably. It seems unlikely that they will hit the target of replacing all the old charger with the new ones by the end of this month. There has also been moans about reliability of the new chargers on Twitter and Zap-map. I hope these are teething troubles. I found out something interesting about the new Gridserve chargers going in on the Electric Highway network (mainly on motorways). They are advertised as 120kW chargers, but can only achieve this on 800V cars. The rest of us mere mortals will have to put up with 60kW. There is more to charging speeds than the headline speed. I also saw the same issue on another MFG's high speed chargers, 160kW for 800V but 'only' 80kW for normal 400V cars.
-
Hyundai Ioniq 5
On that subject, I found out something interesting about the new Gridserve chargers going in to replace the ageing Ecotricity ones on the Electric Highway network (mainly on motorways). They are advertised as 120kW chargers, but can only achieve this on 800V cars. The rest of us mere mortals will have to put up with 60kW. Bit of a derail, but there is more to charging speeds than the headline speed. (I also saw the same issue on another network's high speed chargers but cannot remember which one)* *I remembered, it is on Motor Fuel Group's new high speed chargers, specifically at their new hub in Stretford. The headline speed is 160kW but the small print on the charger shows 80kW at 400V.
-
Hyundai Ioniq 5
I think as he gets used to it the efficiency will improve. For example running re-gen level1 in town when it most likely should have been level3 or auto. However, if it doesn't get up past 3.2 I think it will damage Hyundai/Kia reputation for efficiency as people expect them to be good now. Efficiency in our ID.4 has definitely improved as we have got used to it, even allowing for better weather now over when we first got it.
-
Enyaq Witb Wet Front Floors
Someone on the ID.4 group had the same issue, it was a disconnected drain hose.
-
Enyaq suspension
I doubt very much is the suspension is adjustable in this fashion. More likely the transit blocks left in as has been previously suggested and they've taken them out to 'adjust' it. The adjustment story is likely BS to cover up their error. Its noticeable that no one else has complained of this problem with standard suspension on here or in any of the FB groups I'm in. I'm glad you've got it sorted and the car rides properly now.
-
Real World Range
There is a chap in the UK Enyaq owners Facebook group that has his Enyaq 60 on as a taxi. Might be worth having a search on there for any info? https://www.facebook.com/groups/3036207156410016
-
Assist systems offline
May be relevant, may be not. On the VW ID.4 and ID.3, the first part of the first over the air update to the software causes exactly these errors to appear. When the update is ready to be installed, the errors clear. I don't know if this update is being pushed to Enyaq yet, but you could check?
-
Be aware if EV charging in Scotland next week chargers may not be available. 'Charge Place Scotland' / Swarco / Evolt. Change over next week starting Monday 26th July.
Should you be using Charge Your Car app now? SWARCO have launched a replacement app and that is the one they update. CYC have nothing to do with it anymore.
-
The MG 4 and 5 EV and Maxus vans - Game changing cars & vans from SAIC
This could be a step up for MG but I think will struggle against the perceived quality of European manufacturers at that price point. Not coming to the UK either, so won't make a difference here. I think the more significant car for MG is the MG5 long range, with around 250 mile range and 100kW DC charging capability. An electric estate car with over 250 mile range might well have got my vote over the ID.4, I like estate cars.
-
Be aware if EV charging in Scotland next week chargers may not be available. 'Charge Place Scotland' / Swarco / Evolt. Change over next week starting Monday 26th July.
Reading that article and the 'news' article on CPS website (https://chargeplacescotland.org/uncategorised/phase-2-of-network-migration-is-underway/) will make every seasoned IT professional cringe. All the problems they are talking about are easily identified ahead of time. The database merge they are talking about for instance, that should have been done well ahead of time and run in parallel for a couple of months.
-
The 'new' green numberplates.
I linked that in yesterday ^^^^^^
-
Electric vehicles and charging
Some good news for charging in the UK, Osprey are brining in Kempower's smart chargers that will see more cars get max charge power more often. Osprey’s first Kempower sites will open in Wolverhampton in mid-September and Banbury in mid-October. https://fullycharged.show/blog/dynamic-load-sharing-a-rapid-charging-gamechanger/
-
The 'new' green numberplates.
This article was from before the UK notified the UN of the change from GB to UK id letters. the photo is an old photo Grant Schapps tweeted in November.
-
Enyaq Sportline 80x awd
After looking up "skeumorphic" I have to agree!
-
The 'new' green numberplates.
Yes I have seen many with the green stripe on the left, but I am on a number of EV forums where people post pictures of their new EVs I have seen none of the other formats and think those were only for consultation. As far as I can tell, you can still have country letters and flags displayed as previously, even 'in the green'. This is a UK thing only though. If travelling abroad you will need a 'UK' sticker if you have a green plate, as this is not EU compliant for country identification. To travel abroad you need to display a Union Jack with 'UK' on your plate. I assume plates made up before this ridiculous change to a 'UK' instead of 'GB' identifier are still valid. https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers
-
The 'new' green numberplates.
Nope, I got mine in March and the plates were introduced from December 2020, so really the dealer should have been well aware. Plenty of EVs still being supplied without them from what I see. Not that I'm bothered, it seems a gimmick to me. None of the supposed benefits of having a green plate have materialised, everything is about 'raising awareness' these days instead of actually doing something. I would have liked the dealer to have offered a choice of plain, UK 'euro style' or 'green stripe' though. What are the benefits of these 'Green' plates? Apart from virtue signalling of course!
-
The 'new' green numberplates.
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/gb-car-sticker-to-be-replaced-by-new-uk-version/ The green stripe is a UK thing, so if you want to drive abroad with an EV green plate, you will still be required to have a 'UK' badge displayed. On the EV green stripe thing, many dealers are not aware, so new EVs are supplied with normal plates. I was not even asked and didn't think about it, so my car was supplied with bog standard plates and no stripe of any kind.
-
Full Skoda Enyaq review after 4500miles (or 7200 km).
@wr0na Thanks for the reply.