Skip to content

Alasdair1

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Alasdair1

  1. Not sure but just noticed think the bolt that your looking for is in the second picture. Three for top mount, 1 nut for strut and bolt and nut for base of shock. From memory on my octavia they just sit by themselves unless mine was missing. I used a cold chisel to carefully wedge open knuckle to separate the shock. You may need a special socket for top of strut to hold while loosening and tightening. I got away with a swan neck spanner. Hate doing springs. Have had a bit of a run of blown shocks and broken springs. Hope I dont have to do any more soon. In the last year I have had three shocks and 4 broken springs.(two were on the rear so easier to change) Alasdair
  2. If the dash isnt showing open door or internal light coming on then it might be the door switch thats failed or broken wire in rubber gaitor at pillar. My mk2 octavia opens driver door and then on second press passenger door and boot. keeps coming up with message check deadlock but no idea what it means. Alasdair
  3. If I remember correctly you have to use new bolt to fix shock to knuckle. I didnt bother but used threadlock on mine as I had it apart before I realised. Also the top mounts on my Octavia have a specific direction to be mounted. Check the old ones when they are removed. Skoda ones have arrows but the KYB ones I got didnt so had to fit by comparison. I assume you have a decent safe spring compressor? Not sure if you need to remove Hub. If so you will need new nuts. When I did mine the bolts that hold top mount were seized and started spinning. I managed to get a long extension bar with socket in wheel arch to stop the nuts that had broken their welds from turning. Alasdair
  4. From these codes P020300 it may be number 3 injector thats failing or a wiring fault to it. The other code I think relates to MAF. If its rough idling try and disconnect MAF. Sometimes if the MAF is bad the idling will improve if disconnected. May be difficult to tell if you have a misfire on no 3. Is your VCDS cable genuine? Not sure if you can swap injectors around to check like coil packs as I think they are coded individually to engine Alasdair
  5. The ones with silicate bag I think have Mit Silikat on the tank and the tanks I think have a double skinned section. Have you scanned with vcds and are there any fault codes at all? Alasdair
  6. Update found one on ebay that looks identical. not sure if exact colour but for £25 ordered it. Should be able to make one good one out of whats left of mine. Alasdair
  7. As you have had it since three years and is now 12 years old it depends on what you would get for it. Try we buy any car etc to get a ballpark figure and ask at garages re trade in value. If its in really good condition I would probably keep it and replace injectors unless you get offered a reasonable amount. You could get it scanned with vcds to check condition of DPF . EGR valve is generally cleanable or fairly easy to replace. If you go down the lines of something older and petrol you may end up with a different set of problems. At least you know the last 9 years of history of this car. Son wants to upgrade from his mk1 1.2 but its giving us no problems and although a 55 plate remarkably free off rust. Alasdair
  8. Think there may be an earth near or behind glove box or at fuse box. Also found this https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2Sm3QJJNRZo Alasdair
  9. If theres 8v at blower,wipers etc then I would suspect a poor earth/connection somewhere. I would assume that it should be 12v at fuse box. What is the voltage of battery when car is off and also when running. Alasdair
  10. Have a 2012 octavia estate 1.6tdi and wing mirror got totaled a few days ago. Guy in lorry who destroyed it was really decent and came to house to let us know. He said if I get it fixed and he would pay for it rather than go through his companies insurance so thought I would use the one off my old 58 plate as it has indicators built in to save him some money. I assumed it was facelift wing mirror as it has indicators built in but not the same shape of glass . My 2012 is a facelift model as its got the indicators but glass is slightly different shape. How many designs of wing mirrors did the MK2 have? Colour is light silver and have found a few that look the same colour but are described as grey. Alasdair
  11. Failed glow plugs can cause light blue white smoke especially when starting from cold due to small amount of diesel not being burnt properly. Once warm should burn diesel completely as no need for glowplugs. Hopefully a simple fix. Could also be failing turbo seals. My old volvo smoked when at idle for any length of time and cleared itself when revs increased Alasdair
  12. Quick update. Noise seemed to disappear yesterday and only difference was I put AC off. I have a feeling it may be AC pump or related. Will have to check further. Car was also I think in process of dpf regen so not sure if its related. Alasdair
  13. The drivers side also controls passenger so no idea why passenger works when drivers is disconnected and key is out of ignition. My sons mk1 was intermittent then failed completely and Breezy Pete on here repaired the drivers motor/controller for me. Excellent quick service. Maybe ping him a message if he doesnt see this post. Alasdair
  14. Maybe a scan to check if heater plugs are working. My old octavia used to smoke a little after start up as two of the heater plugs had failed. Still started no bother but was a bit lumpy for about 10secs when really cold weather. Alasdair
  15. Could be a failing bearing/sensor ring as you mentioned but the fact it does it before moving may point to a wiring fault rather than sensor/sensor ring. Might be worth checking connector on sensor that was replaced and trace back wiring looking for damage. Alasdair
  16. Mine were all serviced at independant garages once the warranty ended so probably didn't bother with checking alarm etc. Alasdair
  17. Maybe the arrow speed tires. Try and swap front to rear and see if the uniroyals are any better. Arrowspeed I think is a budget/mid range. Had autogrip budget tyres/same size on my people carrier and they used to do the same. Alasdair
  18. It may depend if the wiring is present. I would have a look at switch and see if there's any extra wires going to switch that aren't being used. Alasdair
  19. Reckon if its going to max it may be a short somewhere. Your being very polite by saying electrical issues are very elusive. I have many other phrases. Hope its an obvious one Alasdair
  20. Sons MK1 was the same. ABS/brake warning light. On his it was the strip fuse beside battery that had a hairline crack. His brakes were also spongy and needed a pressure bleeder to remove air from rear after piston replacement. Tried manually for ages but only when I used a presurised gunson the air came out. Alasdair
  21. I agree as long as it has a good service history and haldex/dsg have been serviced regularly should be fine. Check out any MOT records for advises/corrosion etc. When buying a car or my son it was amazing how many low mileage failed MOT with bald tyres leaking shocks, corrosion etc. If you put a car in for an MOT with canvas showing on the tyres and a front strut thats covered in oil the chances are its not been looked after or driven like you stole it. If your buying privately I would avoid any that have number plate obscured as they may be trying to hide bad MOT results etc. Alasdair
  22. All my skoda when I bought them with full service history have no mention of battery replacement. My 08 plate siren still works. My 2012 plate siren doesn't. Did have an old volvo 940 that used to drain battery in the same way. (used the same supply as clock for charging which kept blowing fuse) I removed siren/battery to discover it was pretty near to being on fire. Batteries were melted including plastic surround. Never bothered fitting another one. Alasdair
  23. Have noticed an odd pulsating noise when driving and can't locate it. Sounds mechanical and doesn't seem to change with speed but more noticeable in 3rd gear higher revs than 4th. Sounds as though its coming from engine bay passenger side. Its quite rythmic (similar to when a washing machine is emptying) Doesn't seem to do it at idle Dont think its bearing or driveshaft related. Any suggestions welcome. Meant to add its a mk2 octavia estate 2012 plate Alasdair
  24. Maybe the connector to tank is needing cleaned or there is a break in wire. Alasdair
  25. May have been a wiring connection issue. Check the wiring back from the sender to make sure its not shorting somewhere. Alasdair

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.