Skip to content

Alasdair1

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Alasdair1

  1. If I remember correctly I removed air filter plus housing and disconnected pipes. I thinkyou should be able to get to the selector/cables once removed although I was changing clutch so battery and housing was removed anyway. You may have to remove them as well to get access. The gear stick gator unclips and you pull it up to gain access to lock the gearstick. Mine was a 1.9tdi BXE 08 plate. Alasdair
  2. Might be a wiring fault to CTS. Check for corosion or broken wires etc. Alasdair
  3. If its a droning sound that changes with speed and gets better/worse when turning wheel I would suspect bearing on its way out. Have done a few on Fabia and Octavia. They didn't have any play or feeling of roughness with wheel off ground and they past MOT but definite droning noise. I ran them for a while as I didn't have time but I changed them as soon as I could as I didn't want to risk them failing completely plus if they aren't replaced they tend to heat up and can wear out faster and wore case scenarion seize if really bad.
  4. They will stretch slightly over time but on my Octavia it was the end connectors that fit on the selector lever on top of Gbox that were slipping. The ends are replaceable and easy to do. Theres a process of locking gearbox with a small lever on mine and then locking gearstick with a 6mm drill bit. You then release cables and reattach to make sure they are in the correct position/length. The selector on Gbox can seize as well nd has plastic bushes that can wear out. Alasdair
  5. Is the beam wide enough to go to the outside of the wings. You may be able to build up something either side of car for it to sit on or perhaps inside the engine bay where the engine/gearbox mounts are. Alasdair
  6. Glad you got it sorted. Its a lot simpler on the Fabia. My daughter has a VW Up and the front flexi is part of the Cat. I managed to patch hers up for the MOT but will have to remove Cat and see if I can get a flexi repair. Problem is the angle it comes off the Cat so may have to replace that as well or get it welded. Why they don't make it simple I don't know. Alasdair
  7. I am not sure but I did read that if petrol has to be from petrol and vice versa re diesel due to different imobiliser systems. You then need to retrieve original cluster code and reprogram new cluster etc. I think it reguires VCDS or similar to access and recode. I looked into it for my old 08 plate Octy but got a bit too complicated for me. Alasdair
  8. Be careful with autodoc. A lot of the parts are RHD although I assume arms are ok. It may depend on engine and gearbox fitted to your MK2 Alasdair
  9. If you have new plugs I would check the old ones and probably change them anyway as you already have new ones plus you have changed leads etc. As for the hose I can't seem to download and view video. Alasdair
  10. Is yours fitted with an EGR cooler? They can fail and leak coolant as well as get blocked. I know its on the 1.9tdi engine as both of mine Octy and Seat have them. Its right at the back of the engine beneath the EGR valve on mine. If its leaking coolant I would expect a white smokey exhaust. Alasdair
  11. Definitely needing changed. Do both sides and get new top mounts as well. I agree with Pete that a loud bang isn't normal when a shock leaks and is more likely a broken spring unless the noise you heard was the shock bottoming out if its failed competely or a failed ttop mount. I used Napa on my last Octavia as thats all I could get in an emergency for an MOT but they are already a bit weak and not looking good. Other Octy has KYB and there a lot better and have lasted for a couple of years so far. Check the struts and if your lucky there is still a sticker with OEM part number left on there. I also replaced springs while I was at it as mine were getting rusty. Alasdair
  12. Might be worth creating a small gauze filter or similar if its been left open just in case something goes down it. Alasdair
  13. Normally a pipe from the air filter etc is a breather pipe or similar so should probably be left open. Alasdair
  14. I wouldn't drive until its checked thorouhly. Check the caliper retaining bolts plus if there the same as mine the calipers fit behind the carrier at bottom. I once had a garage fix brakes as front seized when away from home. They managed to unseize caliper but didn't have the bottom in the correct place. Caliper was loose and pads eventually slid out towards middle of disc. Wasn't happy at all. Alasdair
  15. Who knows? Might be worth checking fuses to see if any for the rear of car are loose or a bit coroded or connectors for boot area and brake light. Just wondering if theres an earth thats poor?. Hopefully its a one of but at least you can get it open from the inside
  16. They are studs and nuts on my sons 1.2 06 plate. I sprayed them for a few days with penetrating oil and they came off fairly easy. I replaced front pipe with flexi as it was blown. I just used the original gasket as it seemed fine with a slight smear of exhaust paste just in case. There is a bolt that connects a spring like stabiliser that sheared but I managed to replace as its in part of the exhaust. Think it was a 13mm head so probably m8 Alasdair
  17. May be the actuator is sticking sometimes. Used to do it on my old 1.9tdi. Not often but random limp mode. I sprayed it with oil etc and manually operated it until it felt smooth again. Not sure what turbo you have but another point may be sticking vanes in the turbo if its a variable vane one. Try some turbo cleaner additive to tank and see if it helps. Alasdair
  18. Personally I would change it but I am a bit paranoid re timing belts. The timing belt interval has changed according to skoda etc. They now say from memory 180000 or 15years which I reckon is far too long but in your case it will depend on what make of belt was used when it was changed at 81200. If it was OEM vw/skoda /gates it should be ok but if it was a cheaper make I wouldn't risk it. Alasdair
  19. Last Mot I was waiting and they didn't try windows at all. As long as doors open I reckon its ok. Alasdair
  20. If it was hard then its not instant gasket so shoud be ok. If its running ok then hopefully a new turbo will be ok now the oil lift strainer is clean. Alasdair
  21. The orange bits could very well be instant gasket. Looks too much for it being a dipstick. Have had a few cars where someone has gone to town with it and ended up with more on the inside of engine than outside. Have a good look around engine especially rocker cover etc for traces of orange. Alasdair
  22. Rear wiper doesnt work on my MK2 with boot open so maybe a problem with boot switch/lock. Found this on another post. Not sure if yours is the same
  23. Think the button on the MK2 only disables interior sensors in case you have a dog etc. I think the only way to disable is to disconnect battery. Make sure the manual door lock works before hand. Have come accross a few that are seized through lack of use. Alasdair

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.