Everything posted by spcdust
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
The software version will change once the update is successfully installed. It is always a bit of a mystery when any of the Skoda OTA updates is received as to whether it has been installed or not or what it even was as no update history is recorded, which would be very handy, so you’re not sure what has installed unless you catch the notification at the time.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
I think the whole history of VAG / Skoda not being able to provide a stable platform for the Octavia Mk4 over an extended period has rocked many users confidence. On the face of it, version 1941 and associated firmware updates do seem to be much more solid and stable but trust has seriously been tested, and when owners hear that there might be another "major" update on the horizon rather than being happy it kind of fills them with dread.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
Possibly, but there does seem to be a fair amount of module firmware updates that exist as separate installs. End of November 2023, under the manufacturer warranty, due to multiple issues I had the Infotainment software updated to 1941 and also the SOS module firmware updated - this was shown as two separate jobs on the "invoice/works schedule". Whilst the SOS module issues greatly improved there were a few hiccups and come January I went back to the dealer to say the SOS module fix had not been completely successful. Annoyingly the original manufacturer's warranty had just expired and the dealer said they would have to do any subsequent fix as a chargeable job - something I thought unreasonable as the original fix was not completely successful but this was a Skoda UK issue rather than the dealer being difficult. Separate story but I took this up with Skoda UK who after a lot of back and forth they agreed to cover the dealer charge by way of a goodwill payment direct to me. It was mid-February, by the time the dealer could fit me in, and lo and behold there was yet another new firmware update now available for my SOS module which they applied (there have been quite a few over the short lifetime of the Mk4). Seems Skoda is constantly issuing firmware updates for critical systems control units and these are not necessarily part of the OTA updates but require dealer intervention - which of course they can charge you for. I would argue that Skoda would likely avoid OTA updates for critical systems due to the variation of specific parts used during the manufacturing cycle of the car and also the risk of "bricking" a part preventing the safe operation of the vehicle.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
Indeed, the whole set up really feels like a house of cards. You might have the latest Infotainment software version installed but if a specific module that handles, for example, the SOS system, cruise control, parking sensors, engine management (the list goes on) is “faulty” then it becomes a paid for update. The dealers seem to just apply updates on a wing and a prayer hoping it fixes a reported problem without really understanding how the whole software / firmware eco system works together.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
I agree - cars are so computerized nowadays with all aspects of the car being handled by separate control units, all having their own firmware to run, which then all report back to a central MCU and the manufacturers, beyond the original manufacturers' warranty, don't cover software issues on extended or Skoda Approved Used warranties? Look how long it has taken Skoda to sort out the Octavia Mk4 software issues.
-
Matrix Lights - Dazzling oncoming drivers
There is certainly some discussion to be had regarding the brightness of Xenon / LED headlights. I do a fair amount of driving at night and in recent years I increasingly find myself being dazzled more often than previously by headlights. Initially, you think that the driver has them on full beam but actually I think more often or not they are dipped, it's just the sheer brightness of them. LED bulbs are certainly the way forward for lights but they don't need to be so bright and intense that they could light up a football pitch. As far as the Matrix array lights, in theory, it sounds like a good idea and maybe they do work in the main but people seem to blindly rely on the technology, I guess as they paid for it, despite "feedback" from other road users suggesting that they are not functioning as expected.
-
Matrix Lights - Dazzling oncoming drivers
So are cars coming off the production line with un-calibrated headlights - if so that would seem a major flaw? Also, finding a dealership that accepts calibration is required and has the necessary equipment seems a more hassle. How often do the headlights need re-calibrating and, once out of warranty, at what cost (I’m guessing hefty dealership prices). I don’t know, flicking the dip and full beam switch yourself seems a lot easier and you can be more confident you are doing it in good time and not dazzling other road users.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
Actually, funny you should say that, the same thing happened to mine last week as well. Lost the user profiles and had to log back in on for both my wife and I. Talking to owners of other cars all of these systems seem to have their quirks - some more serious than others.
-
Matrix Lights - Dazzling oncoming drivers
I don't have matrix headlights so can't say how effective they are but the multiple posts I read of those that do have this feature being flashed do not instill much faith in their effectiveness - the automatic system seems flawed if oncoming drivers feel the need to flash you as they are being dazzled? Personally, one thing I hate is oncoming drivers, or drivers behind you, who don't dip their headlights in good time. The moment I detect an oncoming car headlights, often by their beam reflecting on an approaching corner or the beams being visible over the brow of a hill, and long before they are straight ahead of me, I dip my lights so there is no chance of dazzling them - it's just common courtesy and considerate driving.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
Purchased my 2021 plate Octavia in October 2023 and it had an older software version installed and suffered countless issues. Within a month got the dealer to upgrade to 1941, plus the SOS module firmware updated, and the difference has been night and day. Snappy GUI, no crashes, etc. It did seem to take Skoda an inordinate amount of time to get a stable software version released and it must have been frustrating for earlier owners of the MK4 but software version 1941 seems, in the main, to have sorted everything out.
-
Skoda Vehicle User Account Problem
Actually, just went out to check again, this time the car did let me log in (although asked for the S-PIN), and seems to have sorted itself. Noticed that yet another digital manual download had occurred (how many times do they update this?), which didn't show earlier. Possibly this had some impact but never had this before.
-
Skoda Vehicle User Account Problem
Got in the car this morning and noticed the car seat didn't adjust (key is assigned to my user account) and there was no sign of the two accounts assigned to the vehicle. Tried to log in to my primary user account and got the message "Sorry, this function is currently unavailable". Drove the car, and noticed that whilst a user icon for my account name was available to select the icon had a padlock on it and when I did try to select got the same "Sorry, this function is currently unavailable". Odd behavior - the only thing I thought was perhaps Skoda servers are down but does anyone have any insight?
-
What is the current software version?
The current software version is 1941. My advice, get the dealer to update it in the workshop. They may say it will come OTA but this is not always the case, OTA updates only become available after a certain software version is installed. If you experience infotainment "Issues" version 1941 is pretty much rock steady. If you get SOS issues where it randomly crashes/becomes unavailable they will need to update the SOS module / MCU firmware. If in the UK you should still be under the manufacturer's original warranty. Skoda-approved used car warranty does not cover software / firmware. Map database looks to be well out of date but that's either a paid-for Skoda Connect option whereby it automatically downloads or you can do this yourself via the Skoda website and a USB-C drive. I also bought a Skoda Approved Used car last October and despite what they tell you they hadn't updated the software.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
I am pretty sure Version 1941 is the latest / current version for Skoda cars. However, there is a 1969 version for Seat cars, which shares the same Infotainment platform, so logically that will likely be released at some point for Skoda vehicles.
-
Second Hand Car - Never been Update (Infotainment systems - 1803)
I think so, however they don't seem to be replacing the SOS modules anymore and are applying new firmware to them that have made them stable. I had SOS firmware updated in November 2023 which sorted out the SOS module constantly crashing and then another newer firmware update applied to it only this week for complete stability. The OP should hopefully still be within the manufacturers 3 year warranty so my advise is get the car booked in at the dealership ASAP and get in the Infotainment updated to version 1941 and also get the SOS module firmware updated to the latest version. Once this is done the difference is night and day, I went from the Infotainment / SOS system being terrible to it being pretty much rock solid.
-
Dashboard / Interior Doors Cleaning Product?
I've searched the detailing forum but couldn't find an answer. What product are UK people using to clean the dashboard and doors of their Octavia MK4? Most cleaners have a finish such as Gloss or Satin but due to the style of the dashboard curious what product people would recommend (don't think a Gloss finish would suit). I was considering this one but am now unsure: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NVGV7XC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
The voice sometimes changes when there is an update - you can change it back to female somewhere in the settings. Weirdly, I find Laura one of the better voice assistants - never comes on unexpectedly and 95% of the time does exactly what I ask first time which is generally, change the radio station, change temperature, sync temperature, change blower power, change seat heating setting etc.
-
Current Sat Nav Version number please?
Google Maps / Tom Tom Go and Apple Maps allow you to download maps to your device so no need for a connection to a network. Traffic conditions might not immediately be updated if the connection is bad.
-
Adding a wireless charger
I am pretty sure the USB ports deliver a relatively low wattage based on the 15W MagSafe charger I have plugged into the car. It does the job but charging is pretty slow.
-
Park assist - what am I doing wrong
To check your cars full specification you can download the cars Digital Certificate via your Skoda Connect Account: https://www.skoda-connect.com/
-
MySkoda app is now supporting Octavia iV
I don’t have that but I think as my car is a First Edition there are several features the vehicle does not support such as remote locking.
-
MySkoda app is now supporting Octavia iV
Does seem a step backwards in that regard. I currently have both apps installed so I can use Essentials to see the separate trips data.
-
MySkoda app is now supporting Octavia iV
My ŠKODA App also takes longer to refresh compared to Essentials. Also Essentials driving data seems to display multiple same day drives as separate trips where as the full app appears to combine multiple same day drives as one combined trip.
-
Condensation in light
Possibly now it's all LED bulbs you don't get the heat of filament bulbs that would have quickly evaporated any condensation?
-
New engine cover
Thanks for confirming, I thought that was the case but had a moment of doubt.