Everything posted by Aldfort
-
Komiq spare wheel
Yes - in Australia, not the same in the UK old bean.
-
Komiq spare wheel
Sadly you are wrong and it's already documented elsewhere on this site. A hard wired dashcam is a modification according to many insurers. Sadly if you fail to notify the insurer of the modification you risk invalidating your insurance. Of course I'm speaking about the UK, where you live it may be different. 😁
-
replacing tyres/alloys for more comfort
There is some mis information in this thread. Skoda will sell you a set of winter wheels and tyres for this car. They are a catalogue item. The winter wheels and tyres are offered on either a 16 or 17 inch rim from memory. That said, if the insurer has been asked and given the response stated by the OP this will be on file with them. If the car is found to be on other than the supplied wheels then the insurance might well use this to decline a claim. Sad but's that's how it is in 2025.
-
Hardwired TomTom
The only thing I can think of is that the Tom Tom is not shutting down when the ignition is turned off. Maybe it's been hardwired into the wrong circuit? In the old days we had permanent live and ignition controlled circuits. In modern cars we still have permanent live and ignition controlled but also circuits controlled on the canbus or by the car's CPU.
-
It used to be simple.
To be fair the owners manual tells you how to operate the car. It does not provide detail of what might be different from your last car. Still glad you seem to have it sorted out.
-
Komiq spare wheel
Yes, the punctured tyre! I am assuming it will fit reasonably into the wheel well when it's flat. Probably with a bit of pushing and shoving. As I said, based on what I've seen I'd be happy to drive a few miles on the space saver with the punctured tyre in the wheel well. I'd not be happy to have an 18 inch wheel jammed into the spare wheel well as a spare tyre as it does not fit properly. The rolling radius of the 16 inch wheel and tyre is different to the 18 inch wheel and tyre. This has been pointed out. Therefore the 16 inch wheel and tyre is no better than the space saver as you should not be running tyres of different rolling radius on the same axle. The solution for the OP's father is to buy 5 x 16 inch wheels (ideally the Skoda ones) and tyres if he wants a proper "spare tyre", or to keep his 18 inch wheels and accept he can use the emergency space saver spare if he gets a puncture. I'll say again that in this litigious age I'd only be using the solutions in the Skoda handbook. I'd even avoid buying my spare wheel kit from 3rd parties. Let's not forget that in 2025 wiring in a dash cam can apparently invalidate your insurance!
-
It used to be simple.
To be clear with push button start: There is no ACC position. Pressing the button without touching the pedals turn on the whole ignition system so you are in the equivalent of IGN position. Pressing the button while depressing the brake (or clutch) turns on IGN and starts the engine. The above said, the car is a bit cleverer than cars of old. You'll notice that unlocking the car actually energises some things (e.g dashboard) In the same way when you stop the car and turn off the ignition (press the start stop) the radio still plays until you exit the car. (Or until the cars "brain" decides it should be turned off!!)
-
Komiq spare wheel
I'm just confused now. The OP is asking about a spare wheel for his dad. There is enough info in this thread to suggest that a full sized 18 inch wheel is too big to be a spare and you need to fit the space saver wheel kit. I've had a look at mine this morning I run an 18 inch wheel and it will sort of sit in the spare wheel well but it's not a good fit. While I'd be OK driving a few miles to a garage to drop it off I'd be worried it was not properly secured if left in there on a day to day basis. There is, of course, an insurance angle to consider anything that the insurance company can point at and say "non-standard" places the insured at risk.
-
Komiq spare wheel
You should be able to get the whole kit from a Skoda Dealer. it is the most expensive way though. I have read that if you have the variable boot floor it's a little more complicated.
-
Port of exit Emden
I've played this game as well. Then when you think it's not in the UK suddenly you get a phone call saying it'll arrive at the dealer tomorrow. I must admit now that I give the supplying dealer some latitude (colour, trim level, accessories) so that they can try to find the car I want "from stock". Worked a treat last time, had the car in 2-3 weeks.
-
Warning Lights
"Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything."
-
Stop/Start issue / Battery Question
Takes 2 to bicker and it's unhelpful on a forum like this if somebody does not read the whole thread and understand what answers have already been given. Utterly pointless to repeat the same answers over and over IMHO of course.
-
Warning Lights
Before this gets silly: The start stop may well not function. Sometimes this is nothing to do with the state of battery charge. As an example, on a hot day if you have the A/C turned on then the compressor needs to run if it senses the car is too warm. This will start the engine (or not stop it). The key for the OP is to follow the instructions in the manual to clean the particulate filter. If that does not work then professional help is needed.
-
Warning Lights
Remember, In a modern car faults stack up. A blocked particle filter will cause the engine ECU to put the car in a limited power mode (That's the EPC light). This in turn will turn on the dreaded orange "check engine" light. Sometimes, even if you solve the original problem, (particle filter) you'll need to clear the fault codes using an OBD II reader.
-
Stop/Start issue / Battery Question
The resting voltage should be at least 12.6 volts. So the battery is starting to struggle. There are several things to consider. The first, as mentioned, is proper adaptation of the battery. The second is proper charging while in the car. The charging voltage should be checked. The third is excessive power drain on the battery. This can be from to many accessories in use to a tiny little leak to ground.
-
2019 Scala 1.0, got these codes, how do I fix it
Sorry, I drive a 1.5 but the valve will be somewhere in the inlet tract. The intent is to suck the fumes out of the carbon cannister. Pic below might help.
-
Does my reverse sensor have an issue
I've checked the manual (page 140 or so for Kamiq) and the icon in the bottom left of screen does have the red lines on it. The function of the icon when touched is to put the rear view camera into full screen.
-
Lane assist is dangerous
Well defo does in my 2024 Kamiq and also says it in the handbook.
-
2019 Scala 1.0, got these codes, how do I fix it
Things to check: That you have not inadvertently over filled the gas tank recently. Modern tanks should not be brimmed. The vent from the carbon cannister is not blocked. The Purge Valve is functioning. There might be a thermal vacuum valve in the system, it will be linked to the purge valve if present. If so check this. You'll need a workshop manual to check all of this but these are some on this site you can download.
-
Does my reverse sensor have an issue
I think mine looks exactly the same. It's an icon. When you reverse does the sensor actually work? The beeping starts and the actual visual warning behind the car image in the screen starts to flash?
-
boot lid
I think the solution was provided in one of the answers. If you use smart locking it locks everything with a single press on the fob. However by the time you walk round to check the boot it has probably decided you want to open it so it lets you. You can "deadlock" the car, it explains how in the handbook, method varies a bit with trim level AFAIK.
-
Can Skoda tell me details about past services?
For similar reason I keep a full paper service history and place it in the car when I sell it or trade it in.
-
Lane assist is dangerous
Worth mentioning that with ordinary Cruise Control the cat can exceed the set speed on downhills.
-
Can Skoda tell me details about past services?
@GuyIncognito The simple answer to your question is Yes, if the car was serviced by any Skoda main dealer. If the car has had work done by specialists then depending on if they sign up to be able to update the online service history or not there may be gaps. If you go to a Skoda garage with the VIN and the Reg, they may help you and give you a printout of the official online history. If they do it will be as a favour, it's not something you can demand.
-
Fusso Coat Cracked in Tin.
It looks like the solvent might be kerosine (actually nonane which is quite pure unlike kerosine which has other stuff in it.) Also there is some naphtha in it. Look for a MSDS for Fusso coat online and take it to your local store. THat said it might be easier to buy some more.