'Skoda Superb II Road Test' by Honest John

psawczuk

The lack of wiper in the rear is strange? Has anybody tried it with rain?

It looks like a serious omission, doesn't it?

Not tried it, but it was dry when I did my test drive. If it's anything like my old Superb, then the aerodynamic effect as the air passes over the car will keep the rear screen clear. If not, there's always Rain-X.

Bagpuss.

Not tried it, but it was dry when I did my test drive. If it's anything like my old Superb, then the aerodynamic effect as the air passes over the car will keep the rear screen clear. If not, there's always Rain-X.

Bagpuss.

I keep seeing this stated, but what if you are driving in town at 20mph, or want to back into a parking space? Ok a car might "clear away" rain when up to speed where the aerodynamic effect comes into play, but there are so many times out side of this where I would much rather have the rear wiper to just brush the rain away

I sat in the new superb yesterday when picking my car up from Bickertons, it was the 170CR Elegance and my god is it nice! They have done very well with the facelift and the interior quality is just like my GF's dads BMW 525 MSport which costs a fair packet more too!

I keep seeing this stated, but what if you are driving in town at 20mph, or want to back into a parking space? Ok a car might "clear away" rain when up to speed where the aerodynamic effect comes into play, but there are so many times out side of this where I would much rather have the rear wiper to just brush the rain away

Definitely. My Golf's got rear wiper which automatically gives you a sweep when you engage reverse if front wipers are on. Even with parking sensors theres no substitute for clear glass

I sat in the new superb yesterday when picking my car up from Bickertons, it was the 170CR Elegance and my god is it nice! They have done very well with the facelift and the interior quality is just like my GF's dads BMW 525 MSport which costs a fair packet more too!

Did you notice the steering wheel rake adjustment is broken. That was me within 30 seconds of getting in the thing last week! :rofl:

I've had lots of saloons over the years, and none of them has ever had a rear wiper. It's never, ever been a problem, even without something like Rain-X on the glass.

However, all of the hatchbacks or Estates I've had (Golf, Passat, Leon) really need a rear wiper as the screen is always getting covered in crud. I think it has something to do with the more upright angle of the glass.

Another thing to note is that the new Superb actually has quite a small visible area through the rear screen. There is no visibility from inside of any of the rear of the car. You just can't see where the rear of the car ends, so reversing without parking sensors would just be guesswork. Anyone who is ordering an S or SE would be well advised to order at least the rear parking sensors.

Bagpuss.

It might be BS but I was told the old superb had special rear glass so that a wiper wasn't required. In the 2.5 years of ownership (in Scotland so it rains a fair bit up here :) ) I can't say I needed it. Perhaps it had been treated before I got it, and I wash/waxed the car weekly the rain just seemed not to be there in the situations you describe. Wouldn't have a car without heated mirrors either, find them great for keeping a clear view behind