Why aren't you changing your car?

Allams Skoda

Why aren't you changing your car?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Why aren't you changing your car?

• Is it the lack of low rate finance available?
    • Or cost of living has increased giving you less money each month?
    • Interest rates on mortgage have increased?
    • Has the price of fuel had any affect on your decision?
    • Perhaps the new road tax bandings have put you off?
    • Are you happy with your existing car and have no reason to change it?
    • Lack of job security?
    • Unpredictable income?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, new cars are an impossible luxury for many people. Even £5000 is a stretch with income not being much relative to high living costs.

Truth be told, most people could easily be using 15-20 year old cars and saving themselves thousands, but the lure of a new car is strong. Now that those people are more focused on other worries, the new cars are of lower importance - like after the war.

TH

6,7 and 8, but mainly 6.

I've never bought a new car (had loads when I was a company car driver though - no choice in make or model, and generally not impressed with new cars reliability)

My 7 year old vRS does what I want, how and when I want it.

I've done my own work on it and I "know" it.

To get anything better I would have to lay out several £'000's so why bother. I'll probably keep it 'til it eventually blows up or rots away.

Quite happy with my car, will not be changing it any time soon, I own it and I like it. Decent performance, decent fuel economy and fun, it has also held its value well. The 2nd car is a little small now with a little one on the way, so might look at changing that next year. Bummer is we own both cars so no loans outstanding etc. But there are some cracking deals on cars at the moment, so might be tempted next year.

I'm keeping mine 'cos I'm happy with it but important reasons have been missed from the poll though maybe they are covered under the job security option.

Several of my friends and colleagues with company cars are hanging on to them longer:

1) to eke another year out of them to reduce costs

2) upcoming redundancies will free up newer cars to pass on as hand-me-downs

3) because the company car holder themself is about to be made redundant (started out in May as reason 1 but now he knows the real reason!!)

After seven years of loyal service the Octy vRS is sold, and I have just bought a new car that I pick up on Friday.

Just fancied a change, and with the suicidal deals for cash that the dealers are offering, this was, well for me anyway, the perfect time to do so.

Just saved over £5.5K on list price, which makes it hard to refuse.

I've had mine since new (2002), and will probably keep it and run it into the ground as its worth about 2-2.5k trade in, so I would have to find too much to get any worthwhile improvement (4x4 Octy Revo'd 55k). This would apply in any economic climate as I bought it when I had no mortgage and now I have one again, so can't afford a newspaper never mind new car:eek: Just wish it did 40mpg and didn't eat its tyres:rofl:

To answer the thread title simply and concisely: because I like what I've got at the moment :)

Clearly if I were faced with the prospect of money burning a hole in my pocket, I could of course be pursued to change perhaps :P

Steve

Because the price of cars has fallen through it's **** and if i'm just goin to loose a heap a money on it

I've just checked the Glass's guide valuation on my Octy and it's down about £800 on what a similar aged vehicle would have been 6 months ago.

That's not that mine has depreciated £800 in six months , but in April a two and a half year old car would have been worth £800 more than a two and a half year old car is worth now.

That's obviously affecting my calculations on when I can afford to sell , but it's not all bad news as if I go for something second hand then this will also be up for sale at a suitably reduced price so the total cost to change may be a bit less.

Option 6 for me.

My present car is an AWX base model Superb.

The new Superb cannot match the combination of power output and economy of the old AWX engine (1.9 130 PS). All of the later models which will tow my heavy trailer have a DPF which I will not have and which, according to VAG's own literature is not suitable for my driving regimen. The Mk II Superb has the same pathetic flop down rear seat fold as my car - it's just a bit better than useless.

Finally, the VAG Boot Boys at MK are not people with whom I would wish to conduct any further business. I am not convinced that they have the minimisation of my motoring costs in their grubby sights.

It's a pity because the actual car has been fairly good - very few faults and a very good screwdriver job by Skoda - the only assembly fault I've found is a small paint run.

So, I'll minimise depreciation of the present car by keeping it - it's comfortable, reliable, powerful and frugal so I'm happy with that. When it has worn out, I'll replace it with a Japanese diesel - they will have got them right by then. MK trading policies, VAG's unwillingness to correct known Passat defects (rainwater leaks, anyone?) and some extremely shoddy dealer work have sealed the fate of this car.

rotodiesel.

Happy with my car, outstanding finance and aiming to get on the property ladder all combine to stop me. In 18 months time when the PCP is up though, who knows, although I doubt I'll be buying new again.

I've just ordered a brand new Octavia VRS. A "Factory prices" deal being offered so decided to take the plunge. The "old" car will be in 3 March and I fancied a change. Sorry to buck the trend...

The last couple of cars I've bought for around £5k run them for 5 years 120000m and sold them for under £1k.Last Golf £3.5k at auction did 130000m and sold for £600 5 years later. Routine maintenance only. So far it has worked for me and the books have balanced with expenses recd from work and running costs. Did buy an MX5 ex demo this summer(??) though with the intention of having 1 car for fun and 1 workhorse.

Secondhand cars at dealers are too dear and it's too much trouble to haggle so would buy privately or auction again.

I am disappointed with the current Skoda finance though. Would consider a 4x4 Octavia but 8% is way too much especially as Seat is doing 0% finance. I know that contradicts what I said first before you all shout but if I could buy a new (or ex demo) run it for 10 years then that would also work.

Paid £14.7k for the Mazda in June. I thought the depreciation was horrific till I saw how much i'd lost on £10k of stocks and shares ISA's

You could pm me if you can do an amazing deal on a metallic 1.9 4x4 tdi. DTD is at £14600

Edited by loskie

i feel there isn't a suitable car available that will replace my Fabia vRS

Try the Ferbi 1.9 tdi Sport :thumbup:

Cars are simply running better for longer so no real need to change.

I think in the current climate people are more focused on to satisfy their needs before their wants. I might want a 5 series touring but i don't need one, my octy estate is just fine.

Hi James,

I guess there are various reasons why people aren't changing their cars at the moment - mortgage rates, falling house prices, stock market losses, price of domestic heating ,price of fuel.... just no cash to spare.

However, I'm sure things will pick up for the car market sooner than for other areas of the economy such as the building market. Borrowing rates should fall soon as the government tries to put the brakes on inflation; interest rates for investors will be very low so people will see little advantage in saving; oil prices will fall as demand from industry slows; and then there's the psychological pick-me-up of "buying something nice" to help people forget their troubles.

If you're in the trade I know things are difficult at the moment, but just hang on in there.

Please don't take this as if I'm having a rant or anything

Obviously the car market both new and used is in some difficult times and I'd like to know what is the actual reason that people are not buying cars?

1) Is it the lack of low rate finance available?

2) Or cost of living has increased giving you less money each month?

3) Interest rates on mortgage have increased?

4) Has the price of fuel had any affect on your decision?

5) Perhaps the new road tax bandings have put you off?

6) Are you happy with your existing car and have no reason to change it?

7) Lack of job security?

8) Unpredictable income?

I probably should make this into a poll but not sure how, if someone wants to edit this into a poll that would be great.

I'm just curious as to the actual reason that car sales have gone down so much, and if anyone has any ideas of things that could be done to help the situation I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Happy with my Yellow VRS, want to pay cash, but no new VRS to upgrade to!

So I am going to run my Skoda until I have any problems then I can only go with the SEAT (I have to research this though as I find the SKODA VRS excellent VFM and Performance)

I will be sad if no VRS replacement

National