Asr

DayVe

Hey guys

So ive had my Fabia for coming upto 24 hours now,Its nothing like my golf so you'll have to excuse me if this is something simple im just not getting because im trying to get familiar with other changes.

ASR . . . Why is the cars traction control labled ASR? What does it stand for? Or is it something else? Its labled as ESP in the manual but the button on the dash is labled "ASR"?

Im sure it stands for anti slip regulation or something like that.

Its just another word for ESP, does the same job.

I dont see why they just dont keep it the same over the VAG range though.

Sure somone will come up with the answer.

Hey guys

So ive had my Fabia for coming upto 24 hours now,Its nothing like my golf so you'll have to excuse me if this is something simple im just not getting because im trying to get familiar with other changes.

ASR . . . Why is the cars traction control labled ASR? What does it stand for? Or is it something else? Its labled as ESP in the manual but the button on the dash is labled "ASR"?

I have a Fabia VRS. ASR is the standard traction control systyem - basically uses the front brakes and power reduction to control wheel spin. ESP was an optional extra on mine (55 plate) but standard on later and SE models, I think - and uses all 4 brakes to reduce sliding/spinning and tries to maintain intended direction of travel when skidding - uses steering wheel sensors and yaw sensors and some magic - it really works (I have it on my Octy 2 VRS)

ASR and ESP are not the same.

I have a Fabia VRS. ASR is the standard traction control systyem - basically uses the front brakes and power reduction to control wheel spin. ESP was an optional extra on mine (55 plate) but standard on later and SE models, I think - and uses all 4 brakes to reduce sliding/spinning and tries to maintain intended direction of travel when skidding - uses steering wheel sensors and yaw sensors and some magic - it really works (I have it on my Octy 2 VRS)

ASR and ESP are not the same.

My bad.

Cheers. :thumbup:

ASR is the button that you press right after you fasten your seatbelt.

It is the electronic equivalent to an 80-year old's reactions trying to control wheelspin, and can actually cause an accident when you try to briskly enter a roundabout by cutting power to the wheels excessively...

my 2p worth

Bas

It is the slowest reacting Traction control i've ever known, almost pointless IMO. The only thing i've noticed is the flashing warning light, but the wheels continue to spin untill you ease off the throttle yourself.

Having owned two Vag cars now, i can honestly say thet Traction control on them is pretty poor, and it saddens me to say that the Peugeot 307 i briefly owned outshone VAG in this area :(

Dont quote me, but i think the esp will actually cut the engine out, i think a mate has it on his, lost the back end, and it resulted it the engine cuttin out!

ESP - Electronic Stability Programme controls the throttle and brakes independently to keep the car stable in corners (i.e. no loosing the back end etc) - totally useless in the snow. ASR - anti spin regulation basically controls the power on the front wheels to reduce spin.

It is the slowest reacting Traction control i've ever known, almost pointless IMO. The only thing i've noticed is the flashing warning light, but the wheels continue to spin untill you ease off the throttle yourself.

Having owned two Vag cars now, i can honestly say thet Traction control on them is pretty poor, and it saddens me to say that the Peugeot 307 i briefly owned outshone VAG in this area :(

it gets a lot better if you have someone who knows what they are doing when they re map,you can alter the settings on it,i would assume if you brought the subject up with your dealer they would be able to set it to your liking:thumbup:

ASR is standard on all VRS. It is basically traction control.

ESP was £400 factory option. It incorperates ASR, aswell as EBD(electronic brake distribution) and a stability control.

If when cornering fast the car starts to loose grip, the stability brakes wheels to get traction back and keep the car going around the corner instead of the nearest field.

There is a proper description in the handbook.

I paid extra for it.:)

it gets a lot better if you have someone who knows what they are doing when they re map,you can alter the settings on it,i would assume if you brought the subject up with your dealer they would be able to set it to your liking:thumbup:

I was just going to ask about remapping and ASR.

Im going to get logical now...

Your outside wheel will turn faster than your inside wheel, but will always be to the same ratio on full lock, right?

So why dosent Skoda make the ASR kick in when the ratio goes too high (or low, which ever it is).

Or even use sensors on the steering rack to somehow make the ASR kick in.

Either way, the ASR is way too strong, and as pointed out, dangerous!

I have been caught out many times by it, but luckly never been hit.

Also, when fitting a LSD, you may aswell not have ASR on ever. So why didnt Skoda do that? Must be a money thing!

To be honest i try not to spin the wheels anyway. My toyos aren't cheap and i prefer to get as many miles as possible from them, so when my car does spin i let off the throttle and ease the power back in so paying a dealer a daft amount to alter the settings is pointless really.

ESP is a very good safety feature and is great all year round, it should be standard on all cars IMO. The 307 i owned had it as standard and it saved my *** one morning on a patch of ice at only 40mph on a 60 road. The car corrected itself before i had a chance to think about it.

ASR (traction control) is useless in snow if you are stuck and needs to be off so you can get moving.

ASR is the button that you press right after you fasten your seatbelt.

It is the electronic equivalent to an 80-year old's reactions trying to control wheelspin, and can actually cause an accident when you try to briskly enter a roundabout by cutting power to the wheels excessively...

my 2p worth

Bas

yeah thats pretty much what my mate said. Bit scary when it does too!

I had ESP on my Fab vRS and it's in a different league compared to ASR.

1) It cuts the engine power a lot less (generally, of course if you go crazy it will still)

2) It works VERY well, as a safety feature.

3) Having a Quaife near enough got rid of the need to cut engine power (ASR) altogether.

Retrofit is possible but incredibly expensive, and I would think that your insurance company would have something exciting to say about how much more they'd charge you. I sure would want to have that kinda thing fitted by a certified professional with something in writing to get that one cleared with the insurer.

SO - I'd recommend ESP over ASR any day. If you want it, get it with the car :)

PS my Fabia Estate only has ASR but hasnt got sufficient power to have required it much. The vRS (stock power) has too much torque to put down and the ASR is so so easy to activate (at least on the demo car I drove pre-purchase) that it would have driven me nuts. Of course sensible use of the right foot might help more :D

esp is for gayboys who can't drive:P

I don't need it because i am fat and proud:D

1 mistake and the car could be written off. With ESP...it could be worth the £400. I thought it was. As I say its not just traction and stability. Look in the handbook. It explains it really well. In theory you can go round corners faster:eek:

1 mistake and the car could be written off. With ESP...it could be worth the £400. I thought it was. As I say its not just traction and stability. Look in the handbook. It explains it really well. In theory you can go round corners faster:eek:
i also have enough working knowledge of these systems to not need the handbook to tell me what they do:P

thanks len:D