Dealership Valuation

I asked for a valuation on my 2007 '07 plate Octavia MK2 vRS Tdi Combi from the local Skoda dealers, they offered £9k:eek::eek::eek:

Spec is as follows:

39,000 miles

Black Magic

Electric Sunroof

Sunset privacy glass

MFD2

Maxi dot

Reverse Sensors

Jumbo Pack

Active head rests

Curtain airbags

Xenons

Raised boot floor

Factory fitted blue tooth

Cruise control

I know second hand car prices have tumbled, but this has fallen off a cliff. Is the dealer in the right ballpark, or did I just ask on a bad day? I know they have a mark up, still seems very low to me, certainly for the spec on this car.

Edited by neebsta

Was the price as a trade in against something new, or just a cash offer to take it off your hands?

Maybe someone else can confirm, but I assume this make a difference.

That was generous of them according to what car :ouch

FREE VALUATION Skoda Octavia est. (04-) More about this car...

Skoda Octavia Estate (04-) 2.0 TDI PD vRS 5dr 2007 (07)39,000 miles

Dealer £9,640

Private £9,050

Part exchange £7,725

Trade £7,245

Cost new £19,420

The above obviously doesn't take into account of the various toys that were specced but don't think they really matter too much. I would imagine they'll be pricing it to expect to sell in the new year as nothing is shifting.

At that price I'm bloomin tempted to upgrade from the 1.9tdi but swmbo would kill me.

When I was recently looking round to get my new one, all the dealers made it quite clear that they do not want to take anything in px as they cannot sell them, and dont want them sitting on the forecourt dong nothing, but if you have cash and no px, then they will do suicidal deals to sell you a car.

I guess I was lucky to sell my Octy vRS so quickly and did not have the problem of a px, but it was a well known, well modded car, that was priced to sell, and I know that TrevorB33 is well pleased with it.

I did make it clear when I asked for the quote that it wouldn't be on a trade against another vehicle;)

Consider the current state of the car market, with new car sales down c. 25% on last year over the last two months, you were very fortunate that they even made you an offer considering it was for a straight sale and not a P/X.

Comparing it with the What Car prices posted earlier it seems a very fair price - take the money!!

When I was recently looking round to get my new one, all the dealers made it quite clear that they do not want to take anything in px as they cannot sell them, and dont want them sitting on the forecourt dong nothing, but if you have cash and no px, then they will do suicidal deals to sell you a car.

I guess I was lucky to sell my Octy vRS so quickly and did not have the problem of a px, but it was a well known, well modded car, that was priced to sell, and I know that TrevorB33 is well pleased with it.

I agree. At end of October, when I traded in my 05 Elegance hatch for a brand new TSi, the dealer where I bought the 05 could not take it back in px till (possibly) early 09, due to "cash flow".

The one that did the deal, West Sussex Motors, was part of a big multiple - Birchfield. By the way, they had a nice line up of good looking 2ndhand Octys incl. vRS, if anyone is looking.

Your guess is as good as mine, since there isn't an active market valuations are just someones opinion until a buyer is found.

Try whatcar or if you actually need rid of it then webuyanycar style websites may be your best port of call when you take account of the advertising and what it will lose in the next 2-3 months while it's advertised until it's sold in the new year, not to mention the hassle etc

Anyone got any idea what a 55 1.9 Ambiente with 43,000 should fetch privately, not as a trade?

Well the trade price from Glass's comes out as

Skoda Octavia Ambiente

1.9TD Diesel 5-door Hatchback

5 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive

Year: 2005 55

Mileage: 43,000

Estimated value of your car

Part-exchange Price:

Excellent condition:

£6020

Average condition:

£5390

Below average condition:

£4750

So you'd expect to see it on a dealer forecourt for at least a grand more , and somewhere between the two for a private sale.

Odd thing is , I've just looked up my car and get something very similar for a newer and higher spec (trim and engine) car albeit with more mileage.

Skoda Octavia Elegance

2.0TD Diesel 5-door Hatchback

6 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive

Year: 2006 06

Mileage: 63,000

Estimated value of your car

Part-exchange Price:

Excellent condition:

£6300

Average condition:

£5620

Below average condition:

£5000

I'd have expected a bit more of a difference given the list prices involved

Shop around for a dealer valuation. Some dealers attract a large number of used car buyers (and offer more), whilst others concentrate more on new cars (and offer less).

A local company asked for valuations on three 2006 TDi VRS (company cars, full service history, all around 55k in good condition). In a forty mile radius, the valuations varied by over 25%!!

I think that in the current climate you could throw any price guides out of the window. It's anyones guess what things are worth and as with houses everyone always overvalues the cars they have to sell.

• 2 months later...

Interesting thread. Likely to enter the market for a low mileage Octavia vRS TDI estate very soon, thought hard about a strong deal on a new one but cannot justify several extra grand for the privilege.

I am working on the basis that the big discounts ("no VAT" offers, for example) on new vRSs will flow quickly through to used valuations too? Fair position or am I just daydreaming?

Campbell

Interesting thread. Likely to enter the market for a low mileage Octavia vRS TDI estate very soon, thought hard about a strong deal on a new one but cannot justify several extra grand for the privilege.

I am working on the basis that the big discounts ("no VAT" offers, for example) on new vRSs will flow quickly through to used valuations too? Fair position or am I just daydreaming?

Campbell

Im thinking along the same lines.

Im looking for a 2005 or 2006 1.9 Elegance Estate and it will be a cash purchase, no part exchange.

Im thinking along the same lines.

Im looking for a 2005 or 2006 1.9 Elegance Estate and it will be a cash purchase, no part exchange.

Buying with cash does not enhance your position, dealers sell finance for profit.

Just done a quick Whatcar guide on mine. Lost £7k since Nov 07 :( Yikes! At the time though, second hand prices were very strong, I'm talking £1-2k difference from new (once discount taken into consideration). Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place..... :(