Handbrake cable issue on my VRS

fireman

For anyone thinking about doing this ,, i did it today and it works !! Fitted in minutes, sore fingers though.

I second that... no need for mole grips. No need to jack the car up either, though doing so makes the left a little easier on account of the exhaust :)

Driving appeared smoother (no longer feels like i'm towing a trailer) but I'll reserve judgment for a few more days.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the IKO spring on my 2005 vrs. Very easily fitted in the way described previously, and is the only obvious way this particular spring will fit IMO.

Dog leg to top (it also secures via the hole further down), them the spring coils around clockwise until the spring fits neatly into position on the bottom. You can just about do it with just your hands! No gloves or tools etc

Haven't driven on it but the handbrake does feel more positively resistant although isn't a bad thing.

I will be quite interested if it stops some of the noise/dragging issues I've had although I've also got a full set of Pagid to fit albeit since my brakes seem to still be ok and legal at the moment so I'm not exactly in a rush

I'll be more interested if these springs provide more of a longterm cure.

If they are a bit too heavy, wouldn't it be possible to put them in a vice and bend out the unsprung bent 90 degree part a bit so they match the other model springs a bit closer on one end (at the hooked end I think it is) ? Or would they just snap?

trying this tonight on my 54 reg fab vrs so hopefully using the part numbers listed on the first page i will be able to get the correct outcome :)

any top top tips for adjusting the handbrake before/ after doing this??

Edited by pasco

Its balanced on the back so there is only one nut to loosen off, then you can nip it back up a bit to make sure you get 3-5 clicks on the lever. With the 1j0 part I noticed there is a lot more resistance.

Not really so bothered about it at the moment as its doing the trick with stopping any binding, but I can see what people are on about with the other ones, could probably do with slightly less of a kink in the spring so its less pressure on the brake lever to bring it up.

Personally I keep a 10mm spanner handy, you can loose it a bit and you can roll the handbrake off and can actually push the car front and back. Its a simple diy adjustment.

Really you are supposed to get it in the air though and spin the wheels and should notice either of the wheels start to bind after a few clicks and should be impossible to move a wheel by about 4.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone fitted these springs onto Otavia VRS calipers?

I think that you would need to see if you have the same callipers on the Octavia as the Fabia etc and not the newer Boro Golf one - but if you had that then you would already have springs fitted to the callipers as have the Passat Superb A4/A6 B5 platform.

One thing though, if that car has the older Lucas calliper, as the Octavia is longer so has longer cables, maybe try the Sharan springs first, then if that does not seem strong enough to guarantee the levers return to their stops, then try the Bora springs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Fitted my Sharan springs just now, same as ScottHowie :thumbup: only took 2min. No tools used, didn't even require a jack. Curious to see if it makes any difference, if not £4.12 is not the end of the world!

I have ordered the Sharan springs. I have done this after reading all the threads on this topic which I thought was discussed in a friendly and helpful manner and is a credit to everyone who had an input. On topics discuued like this you can understand how newbies prefer this site to others.

Hi everyone, I have just received my springs, the part No. has changed they are now 7HO not 7MO the numbers remain the same. Thought you would like to know.

£1-73 each plus VAT. Total for 2= £4-14p

Edited by john42

Hi everyone, I have just received my springs, the part No. has changed they are now 7HO not 7MO the numbers remain the same. Thought you would like to know.

£1-73 each plus VAT. Total for 2= £4-14p

One thing to point out, sometimes a number change is due to the original "source" car no longer being produced, but another marque's equivalent model is, one case like this is the flexi brake pipes on VW Passat B5 and probably Audi A4 (on a B5 chassis), now the p/n is for the Skoda Superb as it was the last car to use that platform. Other times, the first "group" determines what the part actually looks like - and the other two "groups" are just the section of the car and the actual part. This means that usually the second and third "groups" will be the same for all models, but the actual model specific shape and size of the part comes from the first "group".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did this today using 1K0615295 and 1K0615296 springs.

I found an easy way to fit the springs:

Before going under the car, load up the springs and hold them in their tensioned position with a cable tie (takes a fairly hefty cable tie).

2012-03-17134525.jpg

The springs then just slot into place and you can cut the cable tie off.

Job done with no pinched fingers!

Handbrake feels a little firmer but still comfortable to use.

My reason for doing this was a small chance of getting an extra 0.5MPG and possibly to stop the handbrake sticking on when the car is put away after washing it. Time will tell...

Got mine today, part number is 7H0 615 295 and 7H0 615 296 Total price inc VAT was £3.91 from TPS

OK, just ordered from local skoda dealer using the part numbers quoted & received 1 correct item (7H0 615 296) and one incorrect item. 7H0 615 295 is a totally different spring costing £15 which I had to pay for as it was classed as special order given that I provided the part numbers. Seems that 7M0 615 295 has been replaced by 7M0 615 295A but will know more when that arrives tomorrow!

Not a happy bunny (not happy that this design fault needs rectifying either along with the uncerviceable interior, frayed seatbelts, hesitation fix, porous alloys...................need i go on!).

Quote "My reason for doing this was a small chance of getting an extra 0.5MPG and possibly to stop the handbrake sticking on when the car is put away after washing it. Time will tell..."

Furby138, I'd think that the brakes sticking after washing is just a general disc brake "disease" - though fitting these springs should keep the "return action" working longer and so should reduce drag.

16sam, one trick to try might be to phone another VAG dealer's parts department tomorrow quoting that "wrong" part and ask them for a price, if its the same as the one that is just one digit away from it, then use that fact to get back to the other parts place when you go to pick up the second spring you ordered. Getting wrong bits when you have trusted the information you got on a forum, is always a possibility and leaves you, as you said without any chance of getting all your money back. Main dealers will normally take back incorrectly requested parts put will charge a percentage of the price to cover the cost of handling the returning parts - in your case maybe the £15 cost did not cover this. I confess to have ordered the wrong parts once, I have a copy of ETOS and when in a rush ended up ordering in a pair of TRE for a Polo 9N without power steering - VW did not import any Polo 9n without power steering in UK - I took it on the nose and my (friendy) parts place took them back in and correctly charged me for this and ordered in the correct parts - lesson learned!

will know more when that arrives tomorrow!

Only it didn't arrive AS PROMISED...........should have checked before setting off on the 12 mile round trip (but i'm used to better service with my other car so didn't).

16sam, I tend to find that only the workshop get "next day delivery" of parts ordered before 16:00 - or, if they made a mistake with your order the correct parts arrive the next day. Recently, ordering on Friday before 16:00 means waiting until Wednesday morning for the parts to arrive, where sometimes in the past a Friday order is ready for collecting on Saturday morning - and that is to an Edinburgh dealership.

• 2 weeks later...

Having problems with my rear brakes not sweeping the whole disc face (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/233375-rear-brake-problem)

So I have fitted these springs today. Hope it will maybe help with the issue above.

Anyway, I ordered

7HO 615 295A (near side)

7HO 615 296 (off side)

Fitting was a piece of cake. No need to jack up the car (i've got a 1,9tdi), just clumber under the car, locate the holes and stick one end in, and squeeze the spring and slot in the other end. Took about 1min each side.

I'll report back to let you know if it fixes my (slightly different) problem.

• 1 month later...

After reading the entire thread I noticed there are many people who have tried both the "1k0" springs and the "Sharran" springs. Has anyone switched from the "1k0" to "Sharran" and maybe have an available pair of "1k0" they can sell me at a reasonable price?