VRs? should i?

arosascotty

hi there, looking to pick everyone's brain for a bit.

basically i'm on the hunt for a new car. originally i was thinkin about cooper s's, 182's and type r's. and i suppose i still am to an extent. but when a good friend mentioned the VRs i haven't been able to shake of the idea of it. its cheaper to insure, and tax, for my budget (about 8k) i could get a newer one. due to these things it would be easier to save for a deposit to, rather than giving 1300 to the insurance man for any of the other cars i was considering. and the scope for modding and tuning is pretty big.

but the question is, i only live about 4 miles tops for my work. and occasionally at the weekend i might do a little more. is running a diesel over these miles econmincal? i realise you wont get 50+ mpg, is there anyone else doing a similiar sort of thing?

sorry for the long post.

any comments at all please fire away.

cheers

scott

Buying second hand, you are not paying as much as a premium for a new diesel. A diesel isn't ideal for short runs, but the VRS is such a hoot to drive I would say go for it. You could always leave early and take a longer route to work :rofl:

I frequently drive 64 miles to buy a pint of milk at an all night shop in the borders :rofl:

The 182,cooper S and type R all all faster out of the box

So buying a vRS then modding it up to their performance would negate the insurance premium that the fabia provides

Personally all four cars you have mentioned are decent cars

So its not much help

but

Go for the one you like the look of best

Okeh's got it bang on, pretty much.

The 182, Cooper S and Type R are quick, where as the Fabia is "nippy".

You'll certainly get more enjoyment out of the other 3 when actually driving.

The 182,cooper S and type R all all faster out of the box

So buying a vRS then modding it up to their performance would negate the insurance premium that the fabia provides

Personally all four cars you have mentioned are decent cars

So its not much help

but

Go for the one you like the look of best

thats what i was beginning to think myself, by the time i've informed the insurance company of mods etc, my premium wouldn't be far of any of the other cars.

so i might end up with a type r for 8 months, then when i really have to knuckle down for a house etc, i'll get a vRS. it realy depends. i need to drive one. then take it from their.

Out of all the cars you have mentioned the Honda is the last one i would go for

I test drove one just before i bought my skoda and have had a few spins in various mates typre Rs

They are very fast when i vtec and the engine has a reputation for being unbreakable but they are right handfull when you just want to get to work on the daily grind due to them having the torque comparible to a wet paper bag

Imho a fantastic car for blasting about in but a tad tiresome if you do a lot of miles everyday

Tbh having had a Clio 182 and a 190bhp Fiesta ST i find the Fabia quicker due to the torque

But for sheer driving fun and cornering ability the Fiesta and Clio win hands down. I miss the handling aspect of both those cars, used to enjoy wynding up Type R's in both aswell.

Given ur mileage personally i'd choose the 182, join up on Cliosport.net it's full of help and advice and common faults on them. Really really good people and very helpful with loadsa banter thrown in

If you fancy another car to add to you're list, a Fiesta ST with the Mountune 185 package, thats what i had and what a hoot, the noise is addictive and the pull from 5k to the redline at 7150 is amazing! I loved that car, only had it 6 weeks! But i covered 3500 miles in it and realised i do too many miles for a performance petrol hence the Fabia VRS came into play and now i'm addicted to driving that and started tuning it

Having owned Quicker cars (Subarus etc) one thing I will say is you never get bored of frugality:thumbup:

You may not have a monster drive to work but whenever you go anywhere you will be happier not to be looking for fuel every ten mins, the VRS is a brilliant all rounder as long as you dont need decent rear space I dont think you can do better.

Just one thing if I was to do evrything again id still buy one but id insist on leather

if you're only doing very low miles I see no reason to saddle yourself with a diesel. having been driving a diesel Ibiza to/from work every day for the past few months, the torque thing is a giggle but kinda wears off, the lack of revs and general fun factor don't go away though :(

this may not be any help, but I've had my vRS for 2 weeks and totally love it.

I average about 1000 miles a week though so my situation's a little different, but I always smile when I leave a BMW sitting and still know I'm getting better mpg.

It's a great fun car to drive and the acceleration mid range is excellent.

I'm not sure about the other choices you have but I would recommend the vRS.

Unless it was a *16, *16, or *20 then the BMW wasn't trying... but anyway!

Seriously, if you're looking for a high-revving hot-hatch then a Fabia vRS just isn't gonna do it for you.

Don't get me wrong, I do think my vRS is a great car, but if someone offered me a swap for a Type-R I'd have no hesitation in accepting it! If you're not doing many miles then there's just no point to a diesel - the torque is great, but not very exciting. I'd much rather have to work the engine to get the power, and get rewarded with aural stimulation!

personally i wouldn't have a v tec given,aweful noisy engine,if you want a turbo engine buy one,don't buy a petrol pretending to have one,on the odd occasion you have to do any sort of milage it gets a little wearing.

V tec all the lag of a turbo none of the boost:(

I've had my fabia for over 5 years and I'm now in the process of changing it. My mileage has dropped so I'm not doing anywhere near as much so it means a petrol is now possible.

But I just prefer the diesel drive, relaxed and easy, maybe its my age?

Anyway the point is the fabia is a very very good car but its not in the same league as the clio/type-r etc and really should not be compaired as they are all different tools for different jobs.

If fun/speed etc is your top requirement then go for the petrol ones. If you need economy and a good alround package then the fabia is the one you will want.

Also personally mine is re-mapped and in honesty even though it will give the hot hatch a run for its money its too heavy and lacking the rev range to really beat it, it cant carry as much speed into the corners though often it will carry more out due to the torque.

but the question is, i only live about 4 miles tops for my work. and occasionally at the weekend i might do a little more. is running a diesel over these miles econmincal?

In a word, no. The ultra efficient diesel takes longer to warm up fully and isn't that economical until then, and it won't be that good for the engine to never warm up fully. Plus you'll be freezing in winter when the heat hasn't fully come on in the cabin by the time you get to work!

In a word, no. The ultra efficient diesel takes longer to warm up fully and isn't that economical until then, and it won't be that good for the engine to never warm up fully. Plus you'll be freezing in winter when the heat hasn't fully come on in the cabin by the time you get to work!

Agreed it takes a couple miles for mine to get to temperature so driving on cold oil everyday probably isnt a good idea! On the other hand I love my vRS, its such a good all rounder, I can drive to work, chuck a pram in the boot when needed (on its side) and take it to a track for plenty fun! :D Happy days

it takes me about 7 miles to warm up properly in winter and as i now only travel 9 miles to work i am freezing when i get there :o

i could dive faster but at 5am in winter its not recomended

it takes me about 7 miles to warm up properly in winter and as i now only travel 9 miles to work i am freezing when i get there :o

i could dive faster but at 5am in winter its not recomended

That's cos it's efficient - my old BMW warmed up in 1 mile but it was doing 12mpg !!!

wow, loads of replys :D

thought this thread would have died off death. i never read my own writing properly before posting, but the idea of the fabia was "i could get a newer one. due to these things it would be easier to save for a deposit for a house" my mistake. sorry.

see if i ended up getting a type r, or clio, because of insurance, cost of running, i'd plan on selling it in a years time. which would hopefully coincide with buying a house. and get something (like a vRS) for more sensible, but still fun, motoring.

i hold the fabia in high regard, i like its looks, i think with a set of coils and a remap it'd be an awesome car. and it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to run. so i'm really just wondering if the fabia had what it takes to keep me happy i suppose.

there are also downsides to the Vrs, in the respect that i don't travel far to work.

i need a test drive to have any real idea what i think.

Good idea

take a test drive, personally the VRS suits me down to the ground and if your thinking of getting an all rounder in the near future I would go for it now so you dont lose too much money

Its comfortable, quick (enough), running costs are great and I like the understated looks,

Only thing id change mine for at the moment is a LE which is what I'd look for if I was you :thumbup: