List your crap tyres for this weather!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You boys just can't drive! :rofl:

Worn 452's on my VR6 seem fine to me! Yeah, they're no winter tyre, but if you're carefull they're ok - I've not had a problem with them!

Must be the Canadian in me ;)

I'm on nokians this year, but last year they managed to offer no grip at all on about 20 feet of ice.

To be fair to them I don't think many friction tyres would have offered much grip.

Dunlop Sp Sport's 225/40/18 on mine and they curl up in a ball in the corner when theres even just a bit of slush!!!

Scott

Dunlop sports on mine too. Only had to drive it for a day in the snow (then broke down again !), They're only 205/55/16, but they are

a nightmare to get going on the slightest incline in the snow. Don't think the grooves in the tread are wide enough !

Toyo Proxes are **** in this weather, and mine are only a couple of months old. I got stuck this morning, the road wasn't even on an incline. I was driving along, but had to stop as a couple of cars were coming the other way and a parked car was blocking my side of the road. I stopped, but the car refused to move on again, so there was me stuck in the middle of the road, doing my best basil fawlty impersonation. In the end I just floored it for about a minute in first gear and it eventually moved.

Edited by luke_a

Hands up who will be looking around for four wheels and "out of season" snow tyres when it is mid summer this coming year. Changing rims and tyres at this stage in the winter will surely be hugely expensive.. If you can find any left to buy!!.

Crap tyre for this weather?

Try Toyo R888 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Now that made me laugh. I can't imagine the 888 doing anything but failing miserably in snow.

As for finding rims and tyres.. well i have the tyres but a spare set of alloys or steels wouldn't be a bad thing at all

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s, you might as well have slicks or R888 on snow/slush, they are just as bad. :thumbdown:

However, in summer in the wet or dry they are very good. I wish Nokian or Vredestein would make something suitable for my Furby for winter.

Edited by Jim H

I was going to take the octi out tonight but after a few people I know have stuff their cars I decided to leave it on the drive just incase one of the plonkers out there hit me! I might take it out tomorrow and see what the tyres are like.......if I can get it off the drive as its covered in ice :(

My Octavia RS 2010 came with Bridgestone Potenza. Utter c**p tyres for snow.

I have a 2006 Octavia vRS that I've had since September. It came with Bridgestone Potenzas on it.

I'd noticed they were a bit crap in the wet, but they might as well be covered in butter for all the good they are in the snow.

Well the Vredestein Sportrac 3's on the Octy seem pretty good (although it does have the benefit of 4x4) and the Vredestein HiTrac's on the Fabia also seem to be coping well. It may be that they both have a directional V tread pattern and fews circumferential sipes (grooves).

I've got 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Primacy on my Elegance. Reasonable in dry snow but useless when it gets a bit slushy on top.

The traction control is best left on. I tried switching it off, but only for a few seconds as the wheel spin was so bad.

Yes, I've had 40 years experience driving in snowy conditions. If these current conditions were guaranteed to last I'd get some Vredestein Quatracs on. Excellent all year round tyres if you do not drive in an aggressive fashion.

Continental SportsContact 2 are truely dire. But it's no great surprise when you look at the absense of any transverse cuts in the tread pattern, let alone consider the rubber compound.

I have another car with Toyo Proxies on it - it's staying firmly locked away in the garage!!!

I got stuck behind 4 cars on a hill today. The car causing the hold up was an Octy Mk2 Elegance combi with a set of 'kojak' michelins on the front. (I went up the same hill yesterday when the conditions were worse in my Octy Mk2 Elegance combi with Falken ZE 912's without a problem)

A Land Rover towed the Octy up the hill, We push a Golf and an Alfa and got them started, then I drove the Wife's Fabia with Uniroyal rain experts up the hill without any assistance,

The rain experts get my vote. :thumbup:

You boys just can't drive! :rofl:

Worn 452's on my VR6 seem fine to me! Yeah, they're no winter tyre, but if you're carefull they're ok - I've not had a problem with them!

Must be the Canadian in me ;)

They're alright on my vrs too to be honest - as good as any other tyre I've driven on snow with anyway!

I find them a bit crap the rest of the time though!

My Octavia RS 2010 came with Bridgestone Potenza. Utter c**p tyres for snow.

My 2.0 L&K came with Bridgestone Potenzas too and I have had no dramas at all with them other than when the snow went up past the bumper and I just got totally stuck. Now got Nokian WRg2s fitted, not had a chance to go out in them tonight, but it's minus 10 so should still be snowy in the morning :giggle:

Another vote of much crapness for F1 GSD3's.

I have them on my vRS petrol and they are very rubbish indeed.

Struggle to get up anything slightly uphill and it took 4 goes to get out of my drive this morning.

The OH has a Fiesta ST with Toyo Proxes 4 on and they are superb in comparison.

The '4' is a four season tyre and really does shine in the snow.

Grip in the dry and wet is about 95% of the F1s, so I'll be having them next :)

My Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta's in 225/40/R18 fitment dont like it at all. Moving off or loosing momentum on a incline can really mess things up.

I cant say i blame them really, as there not designed for snow at all. But i think having the wider rubber is the reason im struggling at the moment.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s, you might as well have slicks or R888 on snow/slush, they are just as bad. :thumbdown:

I've got Goodyear Eagle something or other. They don't seem to be any better/worse than my previous car. I only had one bout of slitherin and all the cars in front had problems on the same patch. It was uphill on setts at traffic lights. I couldn't get through the lights on the change, so I kept going to the leveller part of the junction any way, just used common sense and waited for a break in the traffic to complete my left turn. Up until that point I think I was doing slightly better than the other cars in the grip stakes but it may have been my driving style and trying to maintain momentum, in fact the only problems I've had have been when I've had to stop for some reason, if I can keep rolling, even slowly it's usually ok. The turbo lag is a help but I may try some 2nd gear starts if things get tricky in future.

Took it out tonight and have to say they are not that bad in the snow/slush/ice. Was able to pull away ok and only got the traction control to pop on a few times. Though I was driving like a grandad as I didn't fancy stuffin my new pride and joy.

Hankook Evo V12's seem very sure footed in these conditions. Also, I can't get my head around why switching off ESP in icey conditions could be a good idea !!