How can I lock the doors from inside?

Anybody knows if I can actually lock the doors when I am driving. I know I can press a button beside the cup holder then people can't open from outside. However, if I try to open from inside, the second time the door will open. Yor may wonder why the hell you want to lock yourself inside, to tell you the truth, I am a taxi driver. Sometimes the passengers aren't behaving themselves (like get sick in the car or tring to run without paying), I need to lock the door untill I get to a police station or find the nearest police available. Most of times they managed to get out if they tried to open the door more than once. This crappy door lock design really affects my business and let the baddies run away, so anybody knows if I can interfere with the design in some way to keep the door shut?

Hmm, problem is the anti-hijack thing needs to be over ridden if there's an accident / health & safety thing. Afraid the only thing I can recommend is if the fare looks a bit worse for wear, ask for cash up front.

Using VAG COM you can set the doors to lock automatically at 10mph. However you can still open the doors from the inside by using the double pull, I wouldn't think that any manufacturer would enable a full lock in, because of safety concerns. The only answer would be to use the child locks, but this would mean that you would have to get out every time, to let passengers out!

Legal warning

The words 'false imprisonment' spring to mind.

Women passengers would probably freak out at being in a taxi that only the driver could unlock

In an accident the locks automatically release to enable rescue.

I suspect you licencing authority would have something to say too.

You can use the child locks on the rear doors. But then you need to get out to let them out.

I have never been in a cab, anywhere, which locks me in. Including LTC vehicles.

Probably there is no answer to it then. Child lock is not a solution, I used to use it to prevent some ejits just open the door when they want to get out regardless of the traffic from behind. One day a guy demanded a free trip or he would report me because I used the child lock. I told him to f**k off but I never used child lock again, just in case I am in the same trouble. But some guy from London told me that black cabs can lock the door if the driver wants to.

Edited by howardshe

Black cabs will lock while in motion, but unlock when stationery

In a black cab the lock is activated through the footbrake pedal so the cab doors will only unlock if stopped and if your foot is not on the brake ie handbrake on

If they wont pay, get out, double lock from outside and dial 999? Or, if its happening that much, cash up front? Don't think I'd be wanting to drive a car with a non paying customer locked in with me!

Do you have a shield between you and the passengers, if not then you must be bonkers to think you can lock someone in your taxi that doesn't want to pay, they will just strangle/stab you for ****s sake. Is it worth it getting killed for a fiver?

Ask for the money upfront if you don't trust them.

Or get a black cab! :)

Edited by luke_a

I wouldn't endanger yourself by locking someone in just for money owed. I know its your living at stake etc.. I think the only solution would be that the customer pays up front. If the customer is genuine they should pay

I think that your on a very sticky wicket and should think again. Your very likely to be summonsed for false imprisonment. Quite serious! You would then most likely loose your licence. Have you considered thumb screws, only joking but false imprisonment is of the same sort order. i also agree with some of the comments above, if you lock in some of these people they cold turn very nasty and may be able to prove that their actions were justified in self defence. I am also very concerned and alarmed that you might consider doing this at all or even have the facility to do it. Where is it you operate exactly?

The false imprisonment thing is ballcocks, black cabs stay locked until the vehicle has stopped and the footbrake released so I really don't see the problem.

I wouldn't do it without a screen though.

I think that your on a very sticky wicket and should think again. Your very likely to be summonsed for false imprisonment. Quite serious! You would then most likely loose your licence. Have you considered thumb screws, only joking but false imprisonment is of the same sort order. i also agree with some of the comments above, if you lock in some of these people they cold turn very nasty and may be able to prove that their actions were justified in self defence. I am also very concerned and alarmed that you might consider doing this at all or even have the facility to do it. Where is it you operate exactly?

I operate in Dublin. After reading all the posts I have already given up the idea of locking the door. However, if a passenger opens the door without looking out the traffic from behind and causing accident, whose resposibility is that?

Can you not get advice from the organisation that issues your operators licence? They must have some guidelines on these situations.

I understand peoples comments on false imprisonment etc. However, think about this. If you were at work and someone took an hours money off you without you being able to prevent it, would you want to take as many steps as possible to prevent it happening again? I'm sure many of us would.

Can you not get advice from the organisation that issues your operators licence? They must have some guidelines on these situations.

I understand peoples comments on false imprisonment etc. However, think about this. If you were at work and someone took an hours money off you without you being able to prevent it, would you want to take as many steps as possible to prevent it happening again? I'm sure many of us would.

No, the law in Ireland seems to protect criminals more than protect law biding people. Do you know that if someone breaks into your house, you can't injure that burgular in any way otherwise you will be sued? Sounds ridiculous but it is the law in Ireland.

No, the law in Ireland seems to protect criminals more than protect law biding people. Do you know that if someone breaks into your house, you can't injure that burgular in any way otherwise you will be sued? Sounds ridiculous but it is the law in Ireland.

What consititues self-defense in that situation is a bit of a mystery here too.

yh the law in ireland (i used to live there) says basicaly if a burgler come into your house and say trips over some wire you had lying about because you where rewiring you are at fault and can be sued!