Recent Dealer Experiences

I thought I would share my recent experiences of dealers when shopping around for a FL Octy TDi CR vRS estate.

I've been to the three dealers in the Midlands and got pretty much the same response at all of them:

First Dealer - Went in on a Sunday morning, I was the only punter there. They only had non-vRS Octavias on show but had a bit of a poke around before being asked by the salesman if I needed assistance. Explained I wanted to buy a car and take advantage of the 0% finanace offer. He whipped out the brochure and specced up the car and basically quoted list price for everything minus VAT. I said I'd had a much better quote from DrivetheDeal. He then started on about how you had to pay 35 to order etc etc... I said this wasn't the case and that if he could do something with the price I would be grateful. He wouldn't so I left empty handed although he did take my details.

Second Dealer - Popped in at 1730 on the following Monday, all the sales staff were busy with other customers but I found a fellow tucked away in the corner who looked like he could help. They had a vRS demonstrator which I asked for a sit in. The salesman took a while to find the keys and took me to the car. I had a brief fiddle with everything and had a look in the boot, the salesman stood over me the whole time. I asked about possible deals and if they could look at my part exchange, he replied it was too dark, then walked back off into the showroom! I left empty handed.

Third Dealer - Went in at 1600 yesterday. They had no vRSs around but again a standard Octy in the showroom. I had a good long poke around opening and closing everything, no one approached me. I went up to a guy sat at one of the desks and fed him the same spiel. He came outside to look at my car and valued it bottom book. He took VAT off the list price and that was his offer. He advised me to take the DrivetheDeal price with a pinch of salt. I told him I was ready to order now if he could have another look at my PX value and the new car discount. He said that taking the VAT off was the best he could do at this time. I left empty handed.

So there you go, it looks like they're selling well! The last guy said he would know today if the VAT offer would be extended and that the lead time was 8-10 weeks. Apologies for the lengthy post. P.S. Where am I going wrong?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't go to Autosales did you? Had exactly the same experience as you. They knocked another £500 off when i emailed after I got a quote from DTD. They also said that you wont be the first keeper etc and there are fees. I replied with I will be the 1st keeper and the fees are all in the price. If you can't do any better I will just order from them - All it means is a 260 mile round trip to Surrey which doesn't bother me when im saving £1600!

I thought I would share my recent experiences of dealers when shopping around for a FL Octy TDi CR vRS estate.

I've been to the three dealers in the Midlands and got pretty much the same response at all of them:

First Dealer - Went in on a Sunday morning, I was the only punter there. They only had non-vRS Octavias on show but had a bit of a poke around before being asked by the salesman if I needed assistance. Explained I wanted to buy a car and take advantage of the 0% finanace offer. He whipped out the brochure and specced up the car and basically quoted list price for everything minus VAT. I said I'd had a much better quote from DrivetheDeal. He then started on about how you had to pay 35 to order etc etc... I said this wasn't the case and that if he could do something with the price I would be grateful. He wouldn't so I left empty handed although he did take my details.

Second Dealer - Popped in at 1730 on the following Monday, all the sales staff were busy with other customers but I found a fellow tucked away in the corner who looked like he could help. They had a vRS demonstrator which I asked for a sit in. The salesman took a while to find the keys and took me to the car. I had a brief fiddle with everything and had a look in the boot, the salesman stood over me the whole time. I asked about possible deals and if they could look at my part exchange, he replied it was too dark, then walked back off into the showroom! I left empty handed.

Third Dealer - Went in at 1600 yesterday. They had no vRSs around but again a standard Octy in the showroom. I had a good long poke around opening and closing everything, no one approached me. I went up to a guy sat at one of the desks and fed him the same spiel. He came outside to look at my car and valued it bottom book. He took VAT off the list price and that was his offer. He advised me to take the DrivetheDeal price with a pinch of salt. I told him I was ready to order now if he could have another look at my PX value and the new car discount. He said that taking the VAT off was the best he could do at this time. I left empty handed.

So there you go, it looks like they're selling well! The last guy said he would know today if the VAT offer would be extended and that the lead time was 8-10 weeks. Apologies for the lengthy post. P.S. Where am I going wrong?

I had a similar experience when I wanted to trade my car in for a Octavia 4X4. The salesman at my local dealership knew little about Skodas. When I asked him to check the website to see what was in the pipeline he claimed he knew nothing about it. I then heard him giving a load of bull to an elderly couple trying to con them into buying what he had for sale not what they wanted.

2nd dealer I went to not much better-said my car -1.9 not good seller. Could only give me bottom book because the VAT offer affected their profit.

Seems to me some of these guys are not hungry for sales if they have to go out of their way.

Ian,

All you can do is get lots of quotes and also try "online"

I had a very similar experience with 3 midlands based dealers, very stubborn.

In the end I got an very good quote elsewhere. Free delivery on a trailer to my house or 80 miles to fetch it.

I'm taking the delivery time with a huge pinch of salt, expect it when I see it.

Persevere & good luck.

I found the same problem in Surrey, don't waste your time. Buy on DtD, then sell your old car either privately or via auction or WBAC. You'll get a far better deal than you will at any dealer. :thumbup:

I honestly don't think they look at the forums or have any interest in Skodas! I wasn't really having a go at them just saying that it looks like they're selling well so are in no mood for dealing, maybe this will change when scrappage ends. I also think they will be more open to discounting when the VAT offer is over and they've possibly got a few less people coming through the door.

I'm biding my time for now but am desperate to get an order in and get driving!

I replied with I will be the 1st keeper and the fees are all in the price. If you can't do any better I will just order from them - ]All it means is a 260 mile round trip to Surrey which doesn't bother me when im saving £1600!

DtD prices are actually OTR and delivered to you door. I'm sure if you were willing to actually drive to Marlborough where DtD source their cars from you could strike even better deal since they would be saving on transport and paying DtD comission...

I have a similar experience with local dealers and had similar FUD how DtD is going through fleet sales and you'd be second owner. I'm trying now to arrange purchase with help of one of our fellow Briskodians, but it looks like we might have run out of time (I got to it too late, wasted too much time on local garages). At least dealers in your neck of the woods are open on Sundays, nearest dealer to my postcode is closed on Sunday and open shorter on Satuday.

DtD prices are actually OTR and delivered to you door. I'm sure if you were willing to actually drive to Marlborough where DtD source their cars from you could strike even better deal since they would be saving on transport and paying DtD comission...

I have a similar experience with local dealers and had similar FUD how DtD is going through fleet sales and you'd be second owner. I'm trying now to arrange purchase with help of one of our fellow Briskodians, but it looks like we might have run out of time (I got to it too late, wasted too much time on local garages). At least dealers in your neck of the woods are open on Sundays, nearest dealer to my postcode is closed on Sunday and open shorter on Satuday.

Deal is all done now - for my own piece of mind and knowing some numpty hasn't ragged it up the M40 I would rather collect myself. Got friends down there anyway.

Hi mate,

Don't know where you are in the Midlands but I bought my vRS from Startin skoda in Powick (just outside of Worcester). Found the service great, they have a white pre-facelift 09 vRS you can demo.

PM me if thats any good, Ill let you have further details of who i dealt with.

Steve

I told him I was ready to order now if he could have another look at my PX value and the new car discount. He said that taking the VAT off was the best he could do at this time. I left empty handed.

I had a similar experience nearly 3yr ago. Told them I'd buy there and then if they'd do a deal but they wouldn't budge, couldn't do any better etc etc. A couple of weeks later they phone up I tell them I got what I asked for at another dealer and bought the car, they go mental down the phone at me for "not giving them a chance" and hang up on me.

Other dealers were generally better than you had experience with. Busy but friendly, too laid back if anything.

My aunt and uncle tried Malborough last month for their Octavia, dealer would not move on the price even though I said you can you deal with drive the deal you have lots of room for discount. In the end went to A.E.Withams in walton and got a deal they were happy with.

Ok they are not the cheapest but from my own experience they will help out in anyway and are upfront about things which is a pleasent change. If you pop along there speak to geoff and let him know Mike with the Octi estate in white sent you. Also both time for both myself and my aunt and uncle were allowed to take the car out on our own, even taking the demo apart just so they could have a test drive of the 1.8TSi DSG.

Marlborough are my local dealer, and to be honest I wouldn't recommend them. The attitude of their sales manager was dismissive and far from professional (the other salesmen were fine). I went armed with the DTD price and was told point blank they couldn't get close to that price. The sales manager even told me that DTD contact them to get the best price, and so the price they quote on the web isn't valid. I went back a couple of times to see they could improve their offer but they weren't interested.

I spoke to DTD and was assured that the price they quote you 'is the most you'll pay'. As this price was a little over £3K less than what I'd been quoted by Marlborough I went ahead and ordered with them. Based on my research I was fairly sure that Skoda's bought through DTD are supplied by Marlborough, so it was no surprise when I was contacted by their sales manager a couple of days later. He even had the nerve to tell me he was disappointed I hadn't given him the chance to come back with a better price.

Marlborough are my local dealer, and to be honest I wouldn't recommend them. The attitude of their sales manager was dismissive and far from professional (the other salesmen were fine). I went armed with the DTD price and was told point blank they couldn't get close to that price. The sales manager even told me that DTD contact them to get the best price, and so the price they quote on the web isn't valid. I went back a couple of times to see they could improve their offer but they weren't interested.

I spoke to DTD and was assured that the price they quote you 'is the most you'll pay'. As this price was a little over £3K less than what I'd been quoted by Marlborough I went ahead and ordered with them. Based on my research I was fairly sure that Skoda's bought through DTD are supplied by Marlborough, so it was no surprise when I was contacted by their sales manager a couple of days later. He even had the nerve to tell me he was disappointed I hadn't given him the chance to come back with a better price.

Try Rainworth Skoda in Mansfield, they matched my DtD quote, order to delivery 10 weeks

Thats hilarious!!! emoticon-0136-giggle.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0136-giggle.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Thought I better get a post up since I've been reading everyone else's posts for the past month and not contributed!

I went to my local dealer having already had a look at DtD. The dealer was really good and had me out on a test drive within 10mins, though he was a tad surprised I wanted a petrol vRS! Anyway, I broached the subject of the DtD price and got no speil in return but just said he couldn't get near that price. So I obviously placed my order through DtD.

Reading through the previous posts 2 things occured to me. If we all got the DtD price matched by the dealer, DtD would eventually end up with no business and we would lose their discounts (hence nothing to price match against), whereas if we bought through them their buying power would increase meaning more discounts. I don't work for DtD by the way, thought I better point that out!

The second thing was that if all the dealers were reducing their prices to beat sites like DtD, the residual values would drop - better we let the less money savvy people buy the cars at the higher price so we can get the bigger discount and still have decent residuals.

Sorry if that was all a bit long winded, but just had to get it off my chest! :)

Was it Bob? I assume he's still there.

Both mine came from Marlborough, and the current Octy, well, if it was PDI'd then I'm Myleene Klass!

Xenons not aligned, rear windows smashed when used, wipers failed the next week (motor) and suspension blocks left in - disptite being checked 3 times as part of the xenon alignment!

Xenons aligned and blocks removed by a now gone local dealer.

All I'll say is check everything on the list with them before you leave!

The salesman at Marlborough I dealt with first was called Kim and he was always helpful, and quickly arranged a couple of test drives. I also dealt with a guy called Mike who again was helpful. As I said, it was the sales manager - Keith - who I found to be really off hand.

Regarding the DTD price. I'd already done my research and got a DTD price before my first visit, but didn't mention this when asking for a quote as I wanted to see what they'd come up with on their own. I said I'd think about it and come back later in the week. When I returned I mentioned DTD to see their reaction; this is when the Keith's attitude changed and he spieled off the DTD prices aren't valid. I said to the other salesmen that I'd prefer to do a deal with them directly if they could come up with an offer that a least approached the DTD price, but Keith wouldn't budge.

I've had the car for 3 months now and it all seems ok. The only minor niggle is that I noticed one of the front discs was scored the day after I collected it, so I took it back in a couple of days later. Unfortunately as I walked in Keith was the only person in the showroom. I explained the problem and was given the brush off, he just said "so what, it's a new car and just needs to bed in". I got much the same attitude from the service department, saying that as it isn't dangerous they couldn't do anything about it. I should has insisted that they change it, but as I felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall I gave up.

When the first service is due I think I'll be going elsewhere.

Edited by shrikep15

Ive been looking for Occy estate now for about 5 weeks and been into a number of dealers so far. My experience is that not one of them was interested in haggling. They all stated the ticket price is the price you pay and there was no haggling. It would seem that most dealers are only interested in dealing with people that dont question what they say.

If anyone walks into a dealers with a bit of sense and knows what they are talking abou, the dealers **** them selves because they know they are gonna have to work for their money and most of the time cant be arsed !

The Hat