Speeding up Bolero SD, possible solution

• 2 years later...

apologies for bringing up a timely thread but can anyone (possibly Gav) confirm if this is done FOC even if the car is out of the 3 year warranty?

I'll bring it back again.

Would also be interested to know and what the latest version is now?

Would this SD card be ok? http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-Memory-Newest-Version/dp/B014IX0202/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454942498&sr=8-4&keywords=sd+card+class+10

Edited by Yohan

Have three Bolero/RDS510 2012/2013.

All have 32 gig SDHC cards with around 20-25 gig of 320k mp3's (Approx 2500-3000 tracks).

All just drag and drop from PC. Near instant response and playback. Quicker than ipod on MDI on the Passat.

Lee

Cheers, just ordered the same one.

Just checked on Vag-Com and my stereo is a version 053. Is that a problematic version for slow response?

What is the latest version available now?

I'm not sure if there's anything after 054 but that is the version number that sorted the problem.

For Blaupunkt versions of the Bolero (1Z0035156F) the latest software I've seen is 62.

It's possible to update to 61 (at least I've seen it done for HW 10) if you have access to VAS-PC as the files needed to are available online. Not sure what it gives you over 54 but from what I understand it speeds the unit up, changes the OPS screen and adds support for the Cyrillic alphabet.

As for other versions pf the Bolero, I've seen at least some of the flash files online to take:

1Z0035156G to 30

1Z0035156M to 12

Right, just spoken with the Skoda dealership in Aberdeen.

They had a technician looking to this today and said they can't find anything relating to a software update for the Bolero software. They said this is something they've never performed before.

However...

They said if I can provide information on exactly how other garages have done this, what they've used, the process they've followed etc, then they would be happy to look again if I bring my car around.

Can anybody provide the detailed information they are looking for?

Cheers

Wondering if my version of software is even afflicted with this slow issue.

I have version 053, have just half filled a 32GB Extreme SD Card and seem to navigate around quite happily after it's initial scan.

It takes perhaps a 1-3 seconds if I change through album folders 2-4 deep.

Does that sound normal?

• 2 weeks later...

If you see a 054 then you'll realise just how slow yours is + it will get worse. :thumbup:

Ok I see what you mean now, browsing takes a wee while, but turning the car on takes a good 20 seconds befor anything starts playing.

Contacted the Skoda dealer in Aberdeen who said they can update the unit but it will be at their hourly labour rate (£85 + VAT!).

They said they will only charge for the time used and have estimated no more than an hour.

I also asked what version they would put on and they said 054 as that appears to be the latest.

Is this update worth the best part of £102!?....

Is this update worth the best part of £102!?....

It is disgraceful that this update wasn't done automatically at one of the services that the car would have had in the preceding 7 years but Skoda couldn't even be bothered to properly classify what the update was for! :thumbdown:

In saying that, yes it is a worthwhile update but the 'nesting' solution mentioned earlier in the thread will do the job nearly as well. The caveat is that you need to re-do that when additional music is added.

Hmmm, £102 v 'a bit of time'? :notme:

I've not checked but is the link to the software that automatically nests the music still running?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, bit the bullet and paid Skoda Aberdeen to update it.

An hours labour :(

Scanned it again and it's now at Version 054 so I assume that's the latest for that model.

Plus side, SD card is flying now, music starts playing as soon as the ingition is turned on :)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Recent owner of a 2009 FL octavia with a bolero.  Wondered what was going on with the slow SD card!

Bit reluctant to mess about asking the dealer to check and update my bolero firmware.  

I expect they would take my car, plug it in and look for updates and give me the emissions update without sorting my bolero.  Also probably charge me and leave me with a world of hurt.

Ive tried the danish vikings little program on my music and will see how it goes!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just tried to get this done with Motorline Canterbury. Their response was "Oh, we've had a few problems with that, so we won't touch it." Interesting, a dealer having a problem with installing Skoda software. What makes me think it is more due to their competence than to the software itself? Anyway, I still have the issue. Does anyone know a dealers in the South East that actually can and will do this update, please?

Can't help with competent south east dealers but I can recommend the alternative of danish  Vikings little program which makes playlists then hides the music 8 or 9 folders deep. 

Its less hassle and can be sorted within minutes. 

I know it shouldn't be needed but will save you time. 

• Like 1

On 28/4/2010 at 16:47, DanishViking said:

Here is version 2 of my little organizer for Bolero SD-cards. The first version worked, but not completely foolproof - no pun intended ;)

But please follow the instructions:

Copy music folders to some empty folder or to the root of an empty SD-card.

These music folders should not have subfolders - this version can't (later versions maybe will) handle it.

Run my application (point to the folder or SD-card).

The structure is ready for use - playlists are made, and the music folders are moved to the right place (don't touch them!!!!)

The playlist files can be reorganized, but don't touch what's inside ...

Included is a 'mix'-playlist with music from all folders.

And remember to put one mp3/wma-file where the playlists are (in the root)

You can still download from http://www.lfsv.dk/diverse/setup.zip

Have you installed before, then please uninstall the old version, before installing the new ...

Sorry, haven't been here for 7 years. Link is working, but file is also attached.

Don't know if it's still working ... but try out, it can't harm.

setup.zip

• Like 1

Works great. I used it from the link a few pages back just last week. 

Makes a massive difference.

I'm using it on my sd card.

thanks so much for this danish Viking even if it's old stuff for you it's helped me out great. 

Cant be bothered with the hassle of trying to explain what's needed to the dealer and wasting my time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My only gripe with this so far is that it doesn't sort playlists alphabetically by default.   For example, I have a load of mp3 files like this:

• 101 - ghjh.mp3
  • 102 - pdfg.mp3
  • 103 - adnf.mp3
  • 104 - cccd.mp3

And instead of setting them 101, 102, 103, it went alphabetically on the first alpha character in the filename, so the resultant playlist order was like this:

• 103 - adnf.mp3
  • 104 - cccd.mp3
  • 101 - ghjh.mp3
  • 102 - pdfg.mp3

The filenames are fictional and random, I just paid attention to the first letter to illustrate my issue. See how the order in the .m3u playlist is structured in the second list? It shouldn't matter what the title of the track is as long as it goes in order alpha numerically, which it should due to me ensuring they're numbered correctly (see first list).

No big deal, I can use the edit playlist option to sort them. My concern is that if I add more music, will it undo my changes and remake the playlists in the wrong order?