Useful iphone apps.

Neo_VR

Thought id give a heads up for some of the more interesting/useful apps ive found recently:

Tesco Apps: i think these apps are a damn good showcase of modern mobile technology!

Tesco finder - shows you your local store, and allows you to search for any item, then it will tell you EXACTLY where that item is in that store!.. also allows you to make shopping baskets and it will plot the best route... future intergration will probably allow downloading your shopping lists from your clubcard.

Tesco Wine - photo the label of a tesco bottle of wine and it will tell you more info about it.. reviews etc

Tesco Clubcard - basically displays your clubcard barcode on the screen so you can scan it... its only a v1 app so no doubt more features are coming

Other apps:

AroundMe - the latest version has augmented reality if you have a 3gs will pick up your location and allow you to search for stuff closeby.. ie cashpoints.. then turn phone sideways and it will open the camera and overlay the location and distance onto the picture.. handy to showoff in the pub, but you might look a bit of a berk trying to follow it round a busy city lol

Sleep Cycle - I really really find this app intreaguing... basically its an alarm clock... but the way this differs, is you leave the app running and put it on your matress, it uses the accellerometer to detect movement and roughly what "phase" of sleep you are in (based on the fact we tend to cycle between 3 different types of sleep) and it will decide when the best time to set off the alarm is when you are not in deep sleep, so in theory its easier and more refreshing to wake up.

Also it shows a cool graph of your sleeping patterns over the night.

Roadtrip - I use this to record fuellings for the car and other expenses stuff.. and it takes great pleasure in telling me the MX only does 25mpg!

Logitech Touchmouse - a free trackpad app that connects over wifi to a pc/mac with the server software installed... will probably make good use of this when i have PC connected to main tv in front room!

post-272-12659629520269_thumb.png

Open the browser on your phone and put in http://iphone.tvcatchup.com/. Make an account and login to watch tv. U can access it from a PC ( www.tvcatchup.com) to make your account and just login on your phone. works very well over 3G and seamlessly over wi-fi

Voucher Cloud - This free app will give you discount codes for shops within the range of your iPhone, very handy indeed

Around Me - lets you know of things about you such as banks/cars/petrol stations/places to eat etc

Ping - iPhone version of blackberry messenger. Sent free texts to othe iPhone users who also have that app installed

Edited by vRShafz

Remote is a good app, allows you to control iTunes over wifi so if you're lying in bed and listening to music on you're pc you've no need to get out of bed

RAC Traffic is another good one, tells you all incidents on the roads from you're location

My Car Park is also good if u forget where you've parked you're car. Again uses you're location and set a marker, then once ready to return to your car it'll guide you via the map to it again. Handy if like me you're dozy lol

0870 if you dial alot of those number, it uses the Internet to find another number so you don't need to run up you're phone bill

Bump to transfer stuff from iPhone to iPhone

Mover+ is an app I got reccomended but as yet not used it haha

• 1 month later...

Cheers guys - very useful!

Keep the good stuff coming emoticon-0100-smile.gif

(Tom - recent iPhone purchaser emoticon-0136-giggle.gif )

Tom, have you got a Juice pack or its little brother the Juice Air pack (both jacket type battery cases). The former more than doubles the battery life of the iphone.

Tom, have you got a Juice pack or its little brother the Juice Air pack (both jacket type battery cases). The former more than doubles the battery life of the iphone.

Nope. I'm finding battery life just fine - but I have a charger in the car and in the office, so I doubt I'll ever be caught short. :)

Ok are you sitting comfortably???????

Apps

Facebook

Boxcar - gives push notification for all tweets not just DM's and mentions.

SimplyTweet - paid for Twitter app

Twitteriffic - free twitter app

Shift Worker - allows you to add different icons to a calendar to show what shifts you are working.

Shazam

Last.FM

The Guardian

Sky+ - Allows you to set recordings on your Sky+ or Sky+HD box while away from home.

BBC iPlayer - Only works on wifi at the moment

IMDb

2010 F1 Timing app - two versions.... i have the free one that gives you live timings (actually around 5 seconds before you see it on the TV) from all practice sessions, qualifying and the race. Basically what the teams themselves see at the circuit. There is also a £19.99 version that also shows the circuit and actually where each car is.

Sky Sports football score centre - Like soccer saturday on your phone.

National Rail - The app they show on the TV ad which is basically the national rail website on your iphone but with extras like being able to actually see where your train is on it's route.

Google app - voice recogniton google search to save you typing in your google searches.

iFlipClock - great flip clock style alarm clock.

PhotoBucket app

Flickr app

Photoshop mobile app

ebay app

Amazon.co.uk app

Next app

iHandy Level - spirit level

0870 app - find geographical equivalents for 0845/0870/0345 etc.... numbers

Speed Test app

Games

Chain Rxn - free or paid versions

Angry Birds

Flight Control

Monkey shaker

Cheers

Dave.

My vote for the funniest app I have seen is that weird red cuboid cartoon thingie called Karl.emoticon-0148-yes.gif emoticon-0148-yes.gifVery very funny when you speak at him. You can even tickled him or give him a poke!! He might be called ‘Talking Karl’?

• Like 1

My vote for the funniest app I have seen is that weird red cuboid cartoon thingie called Karl.emoticon-0148-yes.gif emoticon-0148-yes.gifVery very funny when you speak at him. You can even tickled him or give him a poke!! He might be called ‘Talking Karl’?

Talking Carl, ****ing hilarious! lol, perfect for when im suppose to be quiet.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Opera Mini now available for UK and Australian users in the App Store :D :D

Had this on my Android phone and was most impressed with it so glad it's out for Apple now.

One small problem I've come across is that I don't seem able to reply to Briskoda messages using it though. :no: It appears like there's a single line of text to write in but it doesn't appear to be selectable. :S

The rest is good and I'll persevere with trying to find a solution - maybe I missed a setting somewhere?

• 3 months later...

A couple more new one's i have installed since my last post.....

GPS Status - From the people at PocketGPSWorld.com Shows you exactly how good a GPS reception you have.

BBC News app

Nikon L&E - Obviously only for you Nikon owners gives helpfull how to's / guides and advice on photography. Nikon update it quite frequently.

twitter - The official twitter iphone app and free too..... Wish i'd known about it before i paid for SimplyTweet 3. :)

Subcard - add points to your Subway subcard account by scanning your iPhone screen at the till.

McD's Finder - Find your nearest Maccy D's

Met Office - Set it to give you a full 5 day forecast either for your current location or any other location. Gives detailed hour by hour forecast for today / tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

I also use RAC traffic and it saved me from a good few traffic jams in the past months.

Street fighter is epic.

TomTom is sort-of worth the money, I used the maps app and often found it annoying (especially while being lost in london). I am lost no more.

Skype is awesome (free calls to skype users) iphone to iphone quality is ****, but it works.

Roadtrip - I use this to record fuellings for the car and other expenses stuff.. and it takes great pleasure in telling me the MX only does 25mpg!

I can't find this one at all, can anybody help with a link, or the actual name of the app? Cheers :thumbup: