What were your Dad's best cars? PICS PLEASE!

Rob.

Ha ha… great fun :thumbup:

My real dad had nothing fancy, just one of these:

78Midgetred4.jpg

which apparently they used to transport me in my Moses basket on the back shelf. Well, it was the 70s

Then when he split up with me ma, him and his new girlfriend had one of these…

morris-minor.jpg

Me and our kid loved the holes in the floor where we could drop stuff on to the road :giggle:

My step dad was more of a petrol head and after a 1.6GL, got one of these…

capri28i.jpg

Stonking car. He got pulled up for speeding once even though everyone was doing the same speed because he overtook a plain clothes copper in exactly the same car. Cheeky.

Before he died he was driving one of these…

jaguar-x-type-30-estate-30-04.jpg

It was OK. Full leather, etc… but it was the diesel so a bit gruff

The only cars my Dad had between me being born (1980) and his death (1999) were x3 Lada Riva's, all bought brand new.

profileold.jpg

I managed to write off the last one about 3 months after he died. :(

Other cars he owned that i've been told about and that i can remember from before i was born were:

7386808966_3e024f0c86_z.jpg

vauxhall-viva1.jpg

ClassicMiniExt1.jpg

first one I remember was his 1969 Ford Cortina MkII 1600E. He got it second hand in about '74 and repainted it by hand with a brush in Ambassador Blue Reg STD234G i040015.jpgjpk3.jpg Fitted a centre console in it IIRC. Summer was a bitch due the black vinyl seats burning your arse when you got in after a day on the beach!

Next he got another Ford, a MkIV Cortina 2.0 Ghia in Diamond White, reg RCH243R. He fitted a diff from a 1600 I think, it was quick off the mark with the twin Weber carbs and K&N filter. Helped him change the clutch on it, fook me the gearbox weighed a ton, lots of swearing, a hammer flying down the garage and a steel toe capped boot to the metal cantileve tool box fixed it in the end :D

2606331.jpg

I had a red mark 5 Cortina. 2.0 GL

Bloody loved that car, if vinyl wrapping had been around

at the time it would have definitely ended up with a

Starsky and Hutch stripe. :D

• Like 1

The best car my father owned (in my opinion) was a Renault 11 TXE Electronic which talked and had an electronic dashboard. As a kid from the Knight Rider age this car was the future and the most amazing thing I'd ever been in. Shame it kept telling him the fan belt had failed when it hadn't.

Fond memories and at the time a great car! I was 7 years old so to me then, this was the future and I was proud to travel in it. I cried the day Dad got rid of it.

No photo and dad sold it last year as he now can not afford to get it back on the road but our family car for the first 15 to 20 years of my life was an Almond Green Riley 4/72 Reg CEL 374 B. I never wanted it to go but sadly it happened.

Lancia Beta HPE VolumeX

92756964.jpg

Vauxhall Astra GTE 8v (on a B plate, an early one), again, photos of the actual car. He took a sequence of photos showing the digital dash doing its "count up", but I've only uploaded one of those.

8222685901_ebdfd632b3.jpg

GTE3 by Rob'll Pics, on Flickr

8223763574_71eacd5fbd.jpg

GTE2 by Rob'll Pics, on Flickr

8223765804_d895255d01.jpg

GTE1 by Rob'll Pics, on Flickr

Unfortunately these were both gone by the time I arrived. His 'coolest' car during my childhood would probably be his Fabia vRS, but I liked his Rapid's and Estelle's too for obvious reasons!

8223767308_0f6c8cef88.jpg

Fabia RS by Rob'll Pics, on Flickr

Don't think I've got any "actual" pictures of my Dad's cars over the years but I'll have a go with t'internet ones:

Volvo 240 Saloon - in yellow, remember by Mum polishing the vinyl seats with furniture polish, you could get in one side and slide out the other

Morris Ital - not just any Ital but one with an LPG conversion:

3892941397_191fe0ddd8.jpg

After these, in went into Rover mode I think starting with 2x MG Montego's! One red, one green, both stolen at some point during ownership.

Montego210.jpg

Followed by a couple of Rover 800s, culminating in a Rover 820 Vitesse Sport:

vitesse-006_4439.jpg

After that he went through a couple of VW Passats, an Audi A4 and Landrover Freelander before retiring.

Now he's not working, he seems to change his car every 5 minutes having gone through a Range Rover 4.4 HSE, Jaguar X-Type, Jaguar S-Type, Landrover Discovery and now drives a Lexus IS 200 F-Sport:

image1_300.jpg

My Dad was a staunch Vauxhall man (or rather anti-Ford) so his line up was single-marque. At the time I remember them all being exciting cars in their own way, but I've only included the sporty ones which were probably the ones which gave me my interest in cars, although bizarrely I only ever owned one Vauxhall:

Ascona SR - think we had a couple of these, one in green and one in blue

300px-Ascona_B_rechts.jpg

Manta GT/J - Y reg.

OpelMantaGTJ_1.jpg

Cavalier SRI 1.8i Mk2 B-reg replaced a couple of year's later with Cavalier SRI 2.0i (114bhp) Mk2 D-reg (both saloons rather than hatchbacks)

7825233450_ccf023a68c_z.jpg

Calibra 16v K-reg

holden_calibra_red_1992_red.jpg

And now he's an old man, he has one of these ;)

L-Jaguar-XK8-1.jpg

Mum had a slightly more eclectic selection of cars:

MGB Midget

Fiesta Supersport

Various Mini's

Fiat 127

Renault 4

Vauxhall Nova GL

Bedford Rascal pickup

Renaul 5 (Mk2?) GT turbo

Various Micra's

Peugeot 106

Citroen C1

Panda 100hp

but I'll wait for the "what were your Mum's best cars" thread before I post pics of them :D

Chris

My dad had these horrid cars. (internet pictures)

He learnt to drive in this as his first car i wasn't born. (Apparently its only redeaming feature was that you could get 3 in the front bench seat.

Ford Zephyr

359ad716cee8466884e50c3c12531eb6-2.jpg

An orange morris marina coupe.

7357848364_39f0970432_z.jpg

I was only a couple of years old when he bought this and it had no rear seat belts in the back so i would often

roll from one side to the other going round corners. I also bit a chunk out of the rear of the front passenger

vynl seats right down to the foam lol. Dad was not impressed.

After that it was a torrid choice for my mums cars as Dad mainly drove the works van

C Reg Mini Metro 1.3l in Champaigne colour.

G Reg Volvo 340 GL

R Reg Golf 1.4 (woefully underpowered)

Finally saw sense and bought a decent motor - 2008 VW Sharan 2.0TDI (quite good for an mpv)

Oh yeah im a Dad and i think my cars significantly better taste than my old mans. here goes.

1. 1992 Seat Ibiza Slx Diesel (First Car pile of crap)

2. N reg Clio 1.4RT (dyno'd @ 90bhp)

3. Vaux Nova 1.4 SRI (90bhp standard)

4. K Reg Clio 2.0 16v Williams Mk1 ph1 (150bhp)

5. N Reg Clio 1.8 16v Mk1 ph2 (137bhp)

6. N Reg Clio 1.8 16v Mk1 ph2 (137bhp)

8. 1995 Golf Cabriolet 2.0 Avantgarde

9. 2002 Cliosport 172 Mk1 ph2 (172bhp)

10. 2002 Cliosport 172 Exclusive Mk1 ph1 (dyno'd @ 185bhp)

11. 2002 Skoda Octavia VRS 1.8T (remapped 225Bhp)

12. 1996 Audi A4 1.8 SE

13. 2005 Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 Tfsi (Current Car)

14. 2012 Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR Blackline (Current Car)

Oh and a few others stop gaps not worth mentioning.

1989 Ford Probe GT 2.2 Turbo. This was actually my fist car after my dad wrecked it. Wanted to fix it, but at the time I didn't have the skill or the equipment. Was pretty far gone anyways. But god I loved that car. I swore to myself that i would one day buy an identical one and restore it to mint condition.

july16th_003_copyjpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

Awesome.. Glad I bumped this thread...

37.jpg

Apparently, This is the same as Dad's 1st ever car, an Austin A35... He tells me he used to go out in it at night without a licence, and one night it broke down.... Luckily, his neighbour was passing and helped him push it home before his parents woke up and caught him...

His neighbour was the local police man as well.. LOL... Oh, the good old days!

Bless, it's also the car he courted my Mum in ;) (before it broke, and he got his Lambretta.. but we're not doing 2 wheels on this thread) :D

... This is what he takes Mum out in now, Triumph GT6 (Me & him re built it last year.. Mega Fun).. This is the actual car.. Comes to meets in warmer months.

7040097875_04faab12b1_b.jpg

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

Internet pictures unfortunately, but notable cars I can remember my dad having (in a sort of order, but probably not correct)

Porsche 924

Porsche 928 S2

7888346204_5524ac1bb2_m.jpg

Porsche 944 S

jrs1.jpg

Lotus Eclat (piece of junk, the suspension collapsed and the vacuum operated headlights were dangerous in the event of pressure loss)

Lotus_Eclat_reg_1979_1973_cc.JPG

Lotus Excel SE

lotus-excelse-156970b.jpg

He's also had 2 Alfas (155 T.Spark and 164 Lusso) which lived up to the Alfa hype; the 164 was an auto, and when the selector mechanism failed, the Alfa boffins designed it to fail by getting stuck in Park. Pulled out of the driveway, gearbox failed shortly afterwards, car stopped, rear-ended by a 4x4 driver with terrible anticipation skills. The 155 never quite felt like it was running right and had various intermittent electrical gremlins, just as you'd expect.

Hmm my dad was a bit mad with his cars, heres some of the better ones

Volvo 850 T5R

volvo-850-t5r-01.jpg

1958 Plymouth Fury (ala Christine)

PlymouthFury1958-03.jpg

Vauxhall Chevette HSR

L-Vauxhall-Chevette-HSR.jpg

Ford Cortina MK2 Savage

imagesCAE2BO2E.jpg

a 1973 BMW 3 litre CSL

1973_BMW_3_0CSL_Lightweight_Coupe_Front_1.jpg

his current ride, a Audi RS4

221012121181.jpg

I guess that where I get my rather bizzare taste in cars and bikes from

• 4 years later...

HOLY MOTHER OF THREAD REVIVAL BAT MAN...

Come on.. This is well old now so there must be loads of new blood out there to chat about there Dads old motors!!

Again, as before... PICS PICS PICS.. Can be any old google pic but please, put a pic in, keeps it worth reading.

Rob..

(Still driving a silver e36 touring)

5a01d9d612117_OldCars1.thumb.jpg.cd50ad09e5f144d1becc447e1e85880d.jpg5a01da0b0253c_OldCars3.thumb.jpg.fd61dcea5073c067b19f435b68eec0f4.jpg

Dad's earliest car I knew was a Ford Pilot - no pics cos cameras hadn't been invented!

Then this Rover 90 here seen in Dalby Forest of RAC Rally fame, and Rosedale chimney - also did a 4 month tour in Southern Africa.

Excuse pics as transferred from photos.

1994 E34 525i in Diamond black.

2q82dyp.jpg.1d11b4f4cd975bf46a7a0c1d20206b68.jpg

(Pic not his one) 

Prior to that, i remember the day he finished working for a company and started his own accounting practice. I was only about 3-4, 1985-7, depending on exactly when it was. I remember because i went with my mam to bring the company car back and come home with my dad in her car.

It was a Saab 900 or 9000. I cannot remember which. Tbf i was only 3-4...

:D

They were the best because they were my favourites..

He also had a white 1992 pug 205 diesel van. Its on the best list as it was bought brand new.. a very rare event at the time..

Yeah he went from a pair of 1992 merc E180s to a '94 520i, then swapped to the (correction on above..) '95 525i kept that until the head gasket failed and took the rest if the engine with it (seized)

Got a replacement engine, then chopped it about 12months later for the first (2001) brand Hyundai Santa fe...

• 2 weeks later...

must be my age showin'  all these dads all these cars,  when I was a kid  my dad never did get to afford a car,  like most people in our  area  (about 3 cars per 200 houses)  but he did get to borrow the works Austin Devon/Somerset ? pick-up now and again