yeti mpg

wakev

My best ever yet! Mind you, it was somewhat forced upon me because of heavy (but at least moving) traffic. This was local roads (13 miles) to M23 / M25 / M4, then local roads again to somewhere obscure to the south-west of Reading. Probably only acheived 70mph for a few miles.

post-30269-0-32995900-1303566380_thumb.jpgpost-30269-0-96920700-1303566387_thumb.jpgpost-30269-0-17294000-1303566396_thumb.jpgpost-30269-0-95608600-1303566404_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I managed 40.5mpg on the way back from Camberwell this evening, about 8 miles trip, including up and over South Norwood Hill. That is the maxidot, which as all know has been 'corrected'.

Gower peninsula to West Yorkshire yesterday, cross country up the middle of Wales, 250+ miles . Wet and windy, and having fun blatting along on the twisty bits (they've some very nice roads in Wales). Consumption for the journey, 52.5mpg.

Although not in the same league, I was impressed today.

I had to drive up to Vauxhall, round Elephant & Castle and back home via South Norwood Hill (again)

38 miles round trip

2 hours 51 minutes driving/idlingemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

average speed 14mph

average 33.4mpg.

I used the built in stop start facility in the car today.....the key again, otherwise the average mpg would have been much lower emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

In my 1.2Tsi I regularly get 200mpg + when travelling downhill! But seriously only done a couple of hundred miles so far in mixed driving conditions with quite a few short runs and she's averaging around 39-40 mpg which I'm happy with and will improve as she loosens up and we are able to give it a good long run.

Although not in the same league, I was impressed today.

I had to drive up to Vauxhall, round Elephant & Castle and back home via South Norwood Hill (again)

38 miles round trip

2 hours 51 minutes driving/idlingemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

average speed 14mph

average 33.4mpg.

I used the built in stop start facility in the car today.....the key again, otherwise the average mpg would have been much lower emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

Further to my earlier drive, I had to go out again this evening. Slightly better results this timeemoticon-0148-yes.gif

This time I had to drive to Eltham. I went via Chislehurst. So still all town work with traffic lights and lots of turns etc.

24 mile round trip, through 20,30 & 40mph speed limits.

57 minutes driving time.

26mph average

49.5mpg average.

Now that is more like it! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

So the diesel DSG can produce decent results.....I recon it would do even better on the open road on a reasonable journey as well. Keep the speed under 60mph and Elsie the Helipad is pretty economical (but above 14mph averageemoticon-0136-giggle.gif)

• 3 weeks later...

Maxidot can be very misleading. For example: If you start in town, the mpg readings will be low and the average will remain lower than normal - now reset the Maxidot when you reach the open road and, suddenly, the readings and overall average magically improves. Give it a go.

I have just driven from Northampton to Burnley via M1 and deliberately kept to 60mph. According to computer got 54mpg??!!

Was that in The Colt or are you driving a Yeti now?:wonder:

• 1 month later...

Clocked over 13k miles now, the engines loosening up nicely. On a 116 mile round trip to Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland yesterday with 3 adults, 2 kids, the 2 huskies and a load of picnic gear, the car averaged 52 mpg at motorway speeds (and I don't drive Miss Daisy!)

On the way back got caught in 50mph traffic on the coast road averaging..64mpg!Occasionally averaging 66mpg! The overall average is 46.6mpg :thumbup:

I am very impressed.

Hi pinkpanther

i cant believe yours is only giving you 30 - 36 mpg it takes a really bad run in traffic to get as low as 38 mpg in mine and it had the ecu update at about 200 miles. i took mine out today on the A24 and gave it a good high rpm run as it has been only doing local short trips for weeks now and even with no regard to high mpg it gave me 44,5 and a lot of that was 60 -70 in 5th. maybe a trip to your dealer is needed did the ecu update go well or did they have problems i have seen a post that reported problems during the update hope you can get this sorted

wakev

I think you'll find the 1.2 tsi yetis are working out to be the least economical. Mine gets on average around 34mpg at present...

• 4 months later...

I think you'll find the 1.2 tsi yetis are working out to be the least economical. Mine gets on average around 34mpg at present...

Not sure about that - as an update, my 1.8 Tsi 4x4 has done 6000 miles now and on a 300 mile motorway run, I've done some experimenting and get:

85mph = 27-29mpg

80mph = 29-30mpg

75mph = 30-31.5mpg

70mph = 31.5-32.5mpg

Around town 25mpg

That's with two adults and average luggage. I read with interest that some people have had a stage one remap? Even the dealer suggested I chip the car to improve the MPg. Can't believe I should have to do that.

It wouldn't be such an issue, but I'm also starting to think I haven't got a 60 litre tank in the car as the brochure says because despite running the maxidot down to zero, I have never managed more than 53 litres in the tank. That means I reach our family holiday home with about 15-25 miles left on the tank!

As soon as you go over 60 your fuel consumption worsens. Lots of us have proved that, as have many experts in the past. It has lots to do with drag, etc. Therefore driving around at 85 is obviously going to result in poor figures.

Just because you MFD readout says you have 0 miles left proves nothing I'm afraid. Even with the gauge needle on Empty there will still be fuel left in the tank. So you will have a 60lt tank, don't worry.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to compare these reports with the HJ survey - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/RealMpg/Results?manufacturer=skoda

Biggest delta seems to be the 1.4 being not much better than the 1.8 4x4. Possibly not enough data to be valid? In any case the 1.6TDi looks a better proposition than the 1.4 (with the latter not including EDL as standard in SE or below)...

Interesting to compare these reports with the HJ survey - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/RealMpg/Results?manufacturer=skoda

That's a really interesting set of figures - shows how Skoda are quite off in their official figures when compared to VW or Audi say, which broadly seem closer.

I've come back home from a long drive up to Cumbria from London, back via Norfolk and I've come to the conclusion that Llanigraham is right about the drag, but I don't know why it's worse than an Audi Q5 say. I don't know what speed the Skoda official figures are carried out at, but when I was pootling about the Lake District at 40-60mph over winding lanes, at one stage, with feather like feet I actually got 40 mpg on a 50 mile round trip. Couldn't believe it at the time.

But soon as I get on a motorway at 70mph, the economy drops horribly. Coming back to Norfolk at a sedate 65-70mph, I only got 30-31mpg. I have therefore come to the conclusion that although the aerodynamics don't look *that* bad, the Yeti is an appalling motorway car! The strange thing is, I know the Yeti has a high roof line compared to a Golf say, but the 2.0TFSI 4x4 Audi Q5 manages 32.3 mpg and is bigger. A 2 litre Nissan Cashcow +2 manages 35.6 mpg. Why is the Yeti so bad then? It isn't bigger than those and the long sixth gear should make the revs lower. Just odd.

Lesson learnt however - don't assume that the extra urban figs mean good motorway mpg as the drag can in fact make it worse. Shall just have to buy a 335d 5 series touring for myself to do the long hops...

To be honest, I've always had the opinion that you need to reduce the combined figure by approx 10% to give what I expect a true world figure to be. Using this for a Greenline, we should expect 55mpg.

This has been spot on for my previous Vectra Estate and the Current Mondeo. It will be intresting to see if the Yeti is also correct.

To be honest I'll be happy with 50+mpg from the yeti, compared to the horrendous 42mpg of the diesel Mondeo.

I always measure fill up to fill up so i'm confident that I'm pretty much spot on. I'm now using Fuelly for the Mondeo and have already set up the Yeti ready to go.

As I do a lot of motorway mileage (probably 80%) I should be able to give real figures to compare.

Ive never had a car that I felt had a high enough sixth gear - its been my main gripe with most cars Ive owned but I do do a fair bit or higher speed and long distance driving througout the year (over 6,500 miles was abroad this last year). The Yeti certainly isnt the most aerodynamic car but a higher sixth that dropped the revs 800rpm of so would surely help. I also find above 70mph it starts to drop off and settles around 34mpg. Driving in Switzerland at a steady 60 earlier in the year got me in excess of 46 or 48mpg (cant remember which but I did post about it just afterwards). Its purely the difference that 10mph makes and it seems to be a big difference for this car.

As long as the speed is kept to a maximum of 60mph, you can get reasonable economy.

All the other SUV's have a sloping rear window, but not the Yeti which is vertical. Another vehicle with bad fuel consumption is the Disco 3 & 4. They are not dissimilar in shape to the Yeti. In fact most LR's have pretty bad fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive never had a car that I felt had a high enough sixth gear - its been my main gripe with most cars Ive owned but I do do a fair bit or higher speed and long distance driving througout the year (over 6,500 miles was abroad this last year). The Yeti certainly isnt the most aerodynamic car but a higher sixth that dropped the revs 800rpm of so would surely help. I also find above 70mph it starts to drop off and settles around 34mpg. Driving in Switzerland at a steady 60 earlier in the year got me in excess of 46 or 48mpg (cant remember which but I did post about it just afterwards). Its purely the difference that 10mph makes and it seems to be a big difference for this car.

I also could do with a higher top gear. I seem to drive around town between 1100 & 1500rpm, so when I'm on the motorway, 2000rpm at 70 mph feels like it is reving too high :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk