DSG in a CR 170 TDI

How is everyone going on with DSG in the diesel VRS?

I was going for manual and test drove one. However another dealer has just let us try the DSG in a superb with the 170 engine.

Must admit it seemed smooth and maybe a worthwhile option, the Superb didnt have paddles but i believe the VRS does have flappy paddles?

Also i would then go for Bluetooth and the multifunction steering wheel.

I love mine and so does my knackered left leg ! Only done 1200 miles so far.

Factory bluetooth seems to work well in remote sim card mode and my nokia 5800, but was an expensive option.

Don't use paddles much except to change down a gear or two in town/up hill when revs gets a bit low.

MFSW & Maxidot are great.

Plenty of grunt from the engine.

Drive nice 52mpg, drive like a chav 40 mpg, commute 46 mpg

I test drove the VRS DSG and it was very smooth. I just did not like the whole automatic thing and prefer my clutch/gear lever. Hence I have ordered a manual one. I also did not want the extra costs of maintaining etc. the DSG.

How is everyone going on with DSG in the diesel VRS?

I was going for manual and test drove one. However another dealer has just let us try the DSG in a superb with the 170 engine.

Must admit it seemed smooth and maybe a worthwhile option, the Superb didnt have paddles but i believe the VRS does have flappy paddles?

Also i would then go for Bluetooth and the multifunction steering wheel.

I debated the move to DSG but after getting it (vRS) and doing 2000 miles, it's excellent. I use the paddles occasionally but also use the tiptronic control which seems more natural after the move from manual. The bluetooth was also well worth getting; I had a Nokia anyway so for me it was totally painless (unlike others who have iPhones etc).

Get one - I doubt I'll ever go back to manual.

The DSG is brilliant. It also means you get Maxidot and MFSW as standard.

I love it!!

????..........There is no extra maintainace involved PSM

Yes there is, a £200 bill every 40,000 miles to replace the gearbox oil

and how much would a clutch cost at 80,000 miles?

No idea, but I wasn't aware you could change clutches in the DSG system. i.e. they were a sealed unit.

If that were to go, then we're talking £1,500-£1,700.

Not a bill I could stomach!

I wont have the car with all those miles on it, so it wont bother me.

£200 to change gearbox oil?

Not from an independent garage it isnt...TBH the price doesnt bother me at all

Its a small price to pay for such a superb gearbox

I wont have the car with all those miles on it, so it wont bother me.

£200 to change gearbox oil?

Not from an independent garage it isnt...TBH the price doesnt bother me at all

Its a small price to pay for such a superb gearbox

Oh I agree, DSG is a fantastic gearbox and the £200 (or whatever it is) is money well spent protecting your investment :)

You are lucky if you never manage to break 40K in a car!

I do around 25K per annum :)

The more i read on here the more option boxes i end up ticking

We are now onto:-

Candy White

170 CR DSG

Bluetooth

MDI

Xenons

Spare Wheel

Rear Parking sensors

Auto lights, wipers

Atleast maxidot is included with Bluetooth option!

Does anybody know how bluetooth works with more than one phone? For example the girlfriend will be using it during the day and i will have it weekends and evenings. Can we have two phones programmed in and the system will detect who's phone is connected?

Does anybody know how bluetooth works with more than one phone? For example the girlfriend will be using it during the day and i will have it weekends and evenings. Can we have two phones programmed in and the system will detect who's phone is connected?

Just use the one phone and get your girlfriend to buy another car - don't want her driving your vRS :no:

No idea, but I wasn't aware you could change clutches in the DSG system. i.e. they were a sealed unit.

If that were to go, then we're talking £1,500-£1,700.

Not a bill I could stomach!

you misunderstand.

you need to change the oil in a DSG, but it's (hopefully!) the only maintenance you'll ever need.

however, a manual will require a clutch change at some point - I picked 80k miles, but it could be sooner; so, comparing like-for-like, how much would a clutch be in a manual, compared to the two oil changes in a DSG?

I've ordered a DSG, I think they're superb.

I was told it can store up to 5 phones (by the salesman).

Ive done over 18K trouble free miles in my CR 170 DSG and I wouldnt change it, and loathe even the idea of going back to a manual clutch.

For me, £200 every 40k is fine for the benefits I feel it gives.

I will order my next car with the DSG box.

I'm glad I went for DSG, have had autos before and the DSG is very good

Its smooth, gets the right gear all the time. On light throttle settings you can not feel it change

I sometimes use the flappy paddles if I want a bit more slowing effect on the downshifts

IMO the factory Bluetooth is well worth it, totally intergrated to car, Bolero, MFSW.

Reception is far better with a stronger transmitter and external aerial. I use a Nokia 5800

The more i read on here the more option boxes i end up ticking

We are now onto:-

Candy White

170 CR DSG

Bluetooth

MDI

Xenons

Spare Wheel

Rear Parking sensors

Auto lights, wipers

I don't have the factory fit bluetooth, but if it works like the others I've had in the past (Jag X-Type, Parrot 3200 and the current Fiscon unit) the kit will automatically try to connect to the last phone that was connected. If it can't find that it will look for the phone that was connected before that.

This means that if the kit was last connected to your other half's phone and you both get in the car, the kit will connect to her phone unless she's turned the bluetooth off on her phone...

Yes there is, a £200 bill every 40,000 miles to replace the gearbox oil

Please could some one explain in simple terms how the charge of £200.00 could be made for just a simple routine job

of changing the DSG gearbox oil.

I understand that the new 7 speed boxes only have 1.7L of oil in them, so this cannot be a major cost item.

Something I value in my (manual) vRS CR TDI is the quick step off from rest.

Diesel automatics are never at their best starting from rest as they have to kick off from idling speed, whereas with a manual you naturally give it 1000-15500 rpm.

Does DSG manage to get round this or is step-off still a bit slower?

Edited by Zdenek Fibich

The 6 speed DSG takes 6.5 litres of expensive oil and a filter. The prices seem to vary widely for the DSG oil change. I paid £119 for mine but it was a taxi so got a bit of discount. I am now back to a manual as personally i didn't like the DSG. Not for a taxi anyway.

Edited by numptie-boy

The 6 speed DSG takes 6.5 litres of expensive oil and a filter. The prices seem to vary widely for the DSG oil change. I paid £119 for mine but it was a taxi so got a bit of discount. I am now back to a manual as personally i didn't like the DSG. Not for a taxi anyway.

Would be of interest to know the break out of the bill for changing your DSG gear oil

How much was the price per litre for oil and the price for the filter?

and what was the labor charge for doing this job?

Assume the charge for changing the 7speed gear oil will be no more than

for the 6 speed unit.

Edited by ramonford

Please could some one explain in simple terms how the charge of £200.00 could be made for just a simple routine job

of changing the DSG gearbox oil.

I understand that the new 7 speed boxes only have 1.7L of oil in them, so this cannot be a major cost item.

I think the 6 speed ones have about 5 or 6 litres in them.

Diesel automatics are never at their best starting from rest as they have to kick off from idling speed, whereas with a manual you naturally give it 1000-15500 rpm.

My car is very fast from standstill. I dont see any lag accelerating. but then again I havent driven hundreds of different cars...

You can hold your foot on the brake floor it and just let of the brake I believe well at least you can with the VW dsg boxes.

Has anyone with a FL vrs dsg checked to see if the skoda has the launch control?