She's a Rattler!

octy888

We have 1500 miles on our Yeti now.

During the recent, much welcome warmer weather it seems to have developed some really bad rattles. Most seem to come from the dash area right in front of the driver and slightly to the right. I'd swear some are from the set of keys hanging from the ignition but holding them still eliminates those.

The problem is each time we drive the car a new one seems to start with the previous one disappearing.....only to return later...and so on. Making it difficult to detect exactly where they may be coming from and therefore difficult to demonstrate to a dealer for them to attempt a fix.

The one definite is from the plastic trim under and connecting the two dials. But then others seem to come from inside the dash around the light switch area (a complete guess). Another comes from the back - more metallic and occurs when the body flexes I assume, its a kind of a single metallic 'crack/clunk' (not loud) when the left rear wheel only goes over a bump.

Frankly I am very surprised given the low mileage and the Yeti's supple ride.

Anyone else have similar problems?

Rattles and squeaks bother me much less than they used to, as I've said before ALL cars have them (although I'd be surprised if a RR Phantom had them....) but our car seems particularly bad. I'd stick on a good CD and turn it up but that just vibrates one of the door cards and makes it rattle!!!

I will book it into the dealer, who is excellent by the way. I don't however hold out much hope of good fixes given the inconsistent nature of the rattles. If the dealer can't hear them regularly then I understand thats going to be somewhat difficult to fix.

Sorry for putting a downer on our otherwise excellent vehicles but felt I had to air my views and concerns.

Edited by octy888

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I booked mine in last week to have a look and basically I have been told that the A-pillar had problems known to Skoda and they have issued a bulletin.

My dealer (Clist and Rattle) did a good job and also changed a passenger vent at the same time.

However, some slight clink and clunk is now coming from the driver's side door, which is very strange. I might let them have a look again when my rear headrest tubes arrives.

I have definitely found after the A-pillar rattle has gone, it drives much nicer, much more relaxing.

Cheers

No rattles on mine... yet! Covered 1100 miles now and still find its refinement and build quality two of its biggest strengths. Hope yours get resolved. :thumbup:

I'm a bit worried about this topic - My trusty S -type is 5 1/2 years old with 65,000 miles on the clock and has never rattled; am I trading it in for a pile of junk?? Perhaps I should have gone for that BMW X1 after all....

Mines been tuneful since 100 miles on the clock; 7000 miles now and after a number visits to the dealer she,s still not quite. Given up and living with it.

Main sources of noise are the central vent/dash top box and front passenger airbag/glovebox areas.

Regards,

TP

I'm a bit worried about this topic - My trusty S -type is 5 1/2 years old with 65,000 miles on the clock and has never rattled; am I trading it in for a pile of junk?? Perhaps I should have gone for that BMW X1 after all....

:rofl: BMW's are the worlds worst for rattles!!! :rofl:

Mind you my very hard riding 135i has nowhere near as many rattles as the Yeti and that has many more miles and like I said a bone hard ride. :S

The biggest surprise for me is the ride in the Yeti is so supple the interior must be a piece of c**p to rattle so much!!

Edited by octy888

My dad always advised me never ever to buy a new car within the first year of its manufacture. Many things need be bedded in at the factory. Eg. all these rattles. So I'm also sort of happy my car will only arrive in September! emoticon-0144-nod.gif Exactly one year after it went on sale in the UK! hehehe So I hope they have sorted all these things out. See dad, I did listen.

Not a squeek or rattle anywhere. 16,000 miles so far.

Now, if I could just get SWMBO to stop leaving small roll about hard items in the convenience pocket - which you cannot reach while driving - it wopuld be dead silence.

No intrusive wind or tyre noise either - till well past locally legal speed either.

The only rattles on mine are from loose coins left in the central dash storage bin.

Otherwise total silence over 8,000 miles. Much better than a variety of other makes including various Hondas and Jaguars!

I have only come across one rattling Skoda out of the five that we have owned and that is my wife's Roomster Scout. That has had a noise from day one that noone has been able to locate. She says that it doesn't bother her so I just put up with it.

I have a full orchestra in my Yeti..., and to be honest I'm getting quite fed up with the car because of all the creaking and rattling.

One of the most anoying noises sounds excactly like the one Octy888 describes on the left side of the trunk area. The one in my car is also a metallic creak that can be heard when the body twists, and going over "sleeping policemen". I still haven't been able to pinpoint where the noise is produced. I did remove all the trim in the luggage compartment, the door trim on the left rear door, but when going for a drive after having removed all of the plastic trim, all I heard was all the other anoying noises... Could not find anything loose or misplaced after removing the trim. Driving with the left rear door open makes the noise go away, but driving with the door open is hardly a solution I'm willing to live with :giggle:

The panorama roof makes A LOT of noise in the winter, but most of the noise from the roof has disapeared now that the weather is a bit hotter.

The A-pillars creak when going around roundabouts. I have performed the "repair" with textile tape behind the clips that hold the outside A-pillar trim in place. The creaks got worse after having replaced the windscreen.

The creak from the back is accompanied by plastic "vibrating rattles" from inside the dash. I replaced the instrument binacle this winter because of the silver trim surrounding the clocks squeaked and drove me mad when driving on uneven/icy winter roads.

All of these noises can be replaced with rattling doorcards/ door trim by turning the sound system up......... :thumbup: :( :doh:

I drove many Yeti's before I ordered mine, and all of them were very quiet, and seemed well built.

Guess it's a bit hit and/or miss if you get a "good one" or a rattling lemon..

Oh yes, forgot to mention the squeak/creak from the silver trim around the dials and "vibrating rattles" from inside the dash seems to describe what we have very well also....seems to be slightly to the right side of the dash for us.

Seems strange to me how some Yeti's are silent whereas others seem to have many rattles - in that it seems to be one extreme or the other.

Oh well, what I can say is our Yeti won't last long as it is and sadly Skoda will be a marque we will not choose again.

Looking back over many cars (and I mean a lot) the Yeti is by far the worst we have owned for rattles. As I said ALL cars rattle, none are silent (with the exception of two Subaru's we owned) but this one I'm surprised at considering our Octavia which never rattled once after 3 years of quite frankly abuse, the cars low mileage and compliant ride.

Oh well life just ain't perfect! :D

Wonder if it is to do with shifts? Maybe the first day shift builds better cars than the second shift? With the A2 you also had ones that rattled everywhere and then others like mine that have not had a single rattle in 106,000 miles and near nine years...

Yep, mine rattles / squeeks in the dial area, I think that the plastic is not supported enough, but the noise comes and goes.

I saw my first other Yeti in the wild today, M1 southbound nr chesterfield, it was grey WITHOUT a towbar.

3500 on the clock and not a squeak or rattle total silence. :wonder: y they cant get them all to behave

Had a rattle, for 6 weeks, which was coming from underneath the passengers seat. The dealer was given the location but couldn't find anything.

It sound like nut sliding across metal. This turned out to be a 'spare' seat rail bolt which had been dropped by a fitter on the assembly line. The bolt was was sliding around next to the Digital Amp/Equalizer, which is located underneath the front passenger seat. Of course I immediately checked to make sure that I wasn't missing a seat rail bolt! Hope this helps someone.

Had a rattle, for 6 weeks, which was coming from underneath the passengers seat. The dealer was given the location but couldn't find anything.

It sound like nut sliding across metal. This turned out to be a 'spare' seat rail bolt which had been dropped by a fitter on the assembly line. The bolt was was sliding around next to the Digital Amp/Equalizer, which is located underneath the front passenger seat. Of course I immediately checked to make sure that I wasn't missing a seat rail bolt! Hope this helps someone.

Well when they're assembling mine, I hope they drop a Columbus system :rofl:

Hi there,

I booked mine in last week to have a look and basically I have been told that the A-pillar had problems known to Skoda and they have issued a bulletin.

My dealer (Clist and Rattle) did a good job and also changed a passenger vent at the same time.

However, some slight clink and clunk is now coming from the driver's side door, which is very strange. I might let them have a look again when my rear headrest tubes arrives.

I have definitely found after the A-pillar rattle has gone, it drives much nicer, much more relaxing.

Cheers

Hi, have you details about this bullettin? Thank you.

Octy888 and JonA...Very saddened :'( to hear of your terrible Yeti troubles - it could be any of us who dropped on a Rattler :S

...so eager to know how you Yeti owners with rattles are getting on?

Has your Yeti been in and out of the dealers and what have they found / sorted...

or are you just being British :wonder: and putting up with it :'(

And what are your conclusions...Octy888 it sounds like you have come to the end of your tether with poor Patsy..is she going :no: and if she is...what are you going to have instead :o

I hope that you are both going to come back with the reply that the rattles are all sorted and you are Happy yeti Owners once more but...I'm not betting on it.

Best wishes

Lady Penelope

Well Lady P thanks for your message.

I have booked my car with the dealer today. I will let you know how things go. My dealer is excellent but I'm not holding my breath expecting them all to get sorted.

I'm not being British putting up with them...... :rofl: .........nor am I at the end of my tether. Its just a car, other stuff in life is far more important.

Having said that the dealer will get one try then she will go if not fixed for sure. As I said above she really is the worst car we have owned, even my better half who rattles bother less than me is picking up on stuff. Seems to be the heat making it worse. Its like the whole interior is noisy with every journey having different / re-occurring noises from here and there. Bag of nails is an accurate turn of phrase

As for what else instead......not a 'scooby dooo' :rofl:.....oh, that reminds me....Subaru maybe!

Edited by octy888

Oh dear octy888 :S

I do hope they get her sorted 1st go, which dealer has she gone to? Kings heath was that you?, ....as do I? get the impression you are happy with all else - capacity, engine, comfort etc...It would be such a shame if this is so :'( and she does go.

Let us know later :yes:

Fingers crossed

Lady Penelope :sun:

Well Lady P thanks for your message. I have booked my car with the dealer today. I will let you know how things go. My dealer is excellent but I'm not holding my breath expecting them all to get sorted.I'm not being British putting up with them...... :rofl: .........nor am I at the end of my tether. Its just a car, other stuff in life is far more important.Having said that the dealer will get one try then she will go if not fixed for sure. As I said above she really is the worst car we have owned, even my better half who rattles bother less than me is picking up on stuff. Seems to be the heat making it worse. Its like the whole interior is noisy with every journey having different / re-occurring noises from here and there. Bag of nails is an accurate turn of phraseAs for what else instead......not a 'scooby dooo' :rofl:.....oh, that reminds me....Subaru maybe!

This is simply not on. The Yeti can be totally silent as far as knocks and rattles are concerned. And to think that manufacturers claim that there is no longer such a thing as a Friday afternoon car.

I'd tell the dealer that you want it sorted as many others will I am sure agree that there is no excuse for poor build quality on the Yeti.