Righty, the Red springs arrived today from BearingBoy's - item 31135

tools I used:

small screwdriver to take the clips off

pliers

workbench to clamp the pliers tight around the strut

drill screwdriver bit holder - was a snug fit to turn the ends off

Tape - for now it's black taped.

Top Tip:

Do NOT fling the clips all the way off - they are fiddly to get back on. but if you do then just offer them up to the end of the dtrutt and slide on(you'll see two grooves) by not sliding all the way off the struts go back on super fast.

Note:

the tailgate either has to be closed or resting shut when only one side is on as it's far too heavy. when putting back on support with your head to get the bottom of the strut on first.

Piccies:

only unclip to here:

DSC00358.jpg

both in place:

DSC00359.jpg

resting on itself:

DSC00368.jpg

Video of operation:

th_MOV00366.jpg

They work great, I've had a look at the compression when the bootlid is almost shut and its millimetre perfect. £10 well spent IMO.

:D

Edited by prolfe

I'm not interested in this mod - but:

Why do you people take the struts off and remove the ball sockets to fit the springs? If you lever open the end turn of the spring with a screwdriver, you can wind the spring onto the rod - like putting a key onto a keyring.

rotodiesel.

Why do you people take the struts off and remove the ball sockets to fit the springs? If you lever open the end turn of the spring with a screwdriver, you can wind the spring onto the rod - like putting a key onto a keyring.

rotodiesel.

A keyrings resistance to being prised open is slightly different to a high load spring that's now on my car. In fact a key ring is designed to be easy to prise open.

I would say that it's impossible to to with your hands and a screwdriver, plus you would scratch the strut bit of it.

rotodiesel.

Having done this and seen both heavy and medium duty springs I can confirm that there isn't a snow balls chance in hell of fitting the springs like a key ring!! :no:

The quickest fitting option so far for me has been to just release the top clip, unscrew it in situe then fit the spring, viola! :thumbup:

What a fantastic mod, Just orded some springs and heat shrink for mine, i to have taken the advise and gone for the red springs as i think in time they will loose some of there power with the tailgate spending 99% of the time closed and i think the mediums might fail in the future being under constant compression. But what a party trick just imagine being sat in a busy car park and you auto release your boot awsome!!!! Thanks to the kind people on here who have shared this mod. Regards Phil.

So are red or blue springs the best? Anyone got a direct link of what is needed?

Check out pagey's link from page 1 http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/R16x51_Heavy_Load_Die_Spring-31135-p those are the exact ones.

I'm on blues with an estate and they work perfectly, tried stopping on a very steep slope facing uphil and downhill and still work perfectly, however i understand the spring dampers get less effective over the years so the reds might help hide that a bit longer?

Horses for courses if you've got an estate, either will work and neither should cause any problems. If you've got a hatch probs best erring on the side of the stronger springs.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

So are red or blue springs the best? Anyone got a direct link of what is needed?

+1

:D

Check out post #15 for the direct link to the heavy duty springs, I would recommend these as I have tried both (medium and heavy duty) and found the boot didn't open every time with the mediums fitted, as I mentioned in an earlier post I think it is probably down to the age of my dampers. :thumbup:

Edit: Beat me to it Mute! :giggle:

Edited by Pagey1255

Righty, the Red springs arrived today from BearingBoy's - item 31135....

.....They work great, I've had a look at the compression when the bootlid is almost shut and its millimetre perfect. £10 well spent IMO.

Excellent! I ordered a set last night knowing it might have been a gamble whether they work on the hatchback or not. Glad you come back with this news!

The Bearing Boys are going to be wondering whats going on with these springs that are so popular all of a sudden!

Try Cromwell tools they are a few quid cheaper and thesame spec, http://www.cromwell.co.uk/quicksearch?search=ctl6751220x

...Damn! I've just bought the expensive ones :D

Done mine with the blue ones but got reds on order as well. Not been able to heat up the tubing enough yet so will leave it on "test" and see how much the springs settle down by.

Been out again tonight and there doesn't seem to be the same oomph as there did earlier. will see again tomorrow. might need to get the extra load ones.

:)

prolfe, in your post before you said about the spring being millimetre perfect, is the spring completely compressing right down when the hatch is closed?

its almost completely compressed.

I might be talking out my backside here but the datasheet for those springs was saying not to compress more than ~22mm regularly or they'll die early. Shorter but stiffer springs might do the trick if those ones start failing :thumbdown:

I might be talking out my backside here but the datasheet for those springs was saying not to compress more than ~22mm regularly or they'll die early. Shorter but stiffer springs might do the trick if those ones start failing :thumbdown:

how much do they compress on the estate?

hmm, been having a read, seems I've been deflecting them too much, a shorter spring is needed.

Then I don't think it will give the boot enough of a shove. stronger but shorter, thats the key.

Righty, the Red ones have been taken off altogether.

The overall compression was too much.

I will have a think about a shorter spring with a 20-30% compression. This might not be enough power to spring the boot open. so maybe a compression of a higher precentage.

The length compressed is 30mm.

Righty, the Red ones have been taken off altogether.

The overall compression was too much.

I will have a think about a shorter spring with a 20-30% compression. This might not be enough power to spring the boot open. so maybe a compression of a higher precentage.

The length compressed is 30mm.

I'd have left them on, worst case is that you'd have to replace them in a few months. Would be good to have yours as a test case to see how long they do last. :)