Uncomfortable drivers seat on Yeti

Andyajm2

We had to change our Octavia ( after 2 months of ownership " 2012 SE " )because of the " drop in " when entering the car , felt like sitting in a go-cart , the back ache was chronic . We part ex for a Yeti ( SE trim ), pleased the back ache has gone , however i did have a issue with my right ankle after 10 minutes into my first drive with the Yeti , but a little adjustment of the seat rectified the issue . I find the Yeti very comfortable , just got back from a short break tugging my caravan " 200 mile round trip " engaged cruise control , felt like sitting in a very comfortable high chair

I find the Yeti drivers seat with the lumbar support extremely comfortable on long stretches of road.Must be old age creeping up on our old bones....

Me too :thumbup:

. I find the Yeti very comfortable , just got back from a short break tugging my caravan " 200 mile round trip " engaged cruise control , felt like sitting in a very comfortable high chair

Agreed.

We drove back from St Ives yesterday afternoon, with caravan, with no aches or pains. Totally different to the last Freelander!! We had to stop every hour in that!!

I get the odd (and even) bout of sciatica following a slipped disc many moons ago. I was happy with my last car a Seat Ibiza SC 1.6 CR oil burner, nice to drive and economical. Unfortunately where I live parking is very tight and the 2 door hatch that I had (think long doors need space to open) far from helped my back getting in and out of the car. Once in my back didn't get any worse. The problem was by the time I got to work I still had back pain and after parking up at home and having trouble getting out after work I would feel the pain though the night.

I changed cars after 2 years. The car was great, I used it along side my old and sold Mondeo wagon 130 oil burner. The Yeti is a revelation, shorter doors, higher seating and lumbar adjustment in my car. OK it won't suite everyone but it works for me. That 170 thing that gets hot under the bonnet makes me grin more as well. I as they say "I is appy with my SM :love: "

• Like 1

I find the Yeti drivers seat with the lumbar support extremely comfortable on long stretches of road.Must be old age creeping up on our old bones....

Well, I'm new to this game, so maybe my opinion is worthless? However, I'm sitting in a Swansea hotel using their free wi-fi & I must say the drive down was an absolute joy - that includes a fair bit of wandering 'round the Gower before checking in, so a fair few miles with barely a stop - though, admittedly, a long way from a typical European trip.

Am I right in thinking that the Yeti seats with lumbar support option aren't just Yeti seats with a widget added, but are, in fact, replacement seat backs with those from the Superb - or am I just talking complete shovel? :blush:

I've had my 1.2 Elegance for nearly a month now and after two trips of over 160 miles I have found the seats lacking in lateral support

I can't comment - it's been a long while since I've driven a car in a manner where lateral support becomes an issue. I only get really 'spirited' when on two wheels (then my back aches - along with lots of other body parts :giggle: )

It is why I'm in the gym. Suffer from lower back pain. Only fix I've ever found is to go to the gym and work on the back. My job has a lot Toro with it, I.e prolonged sitting has made it weak.

With the 2nd yeti the lumber adjustment has helped though.

JeZ

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 2

• 9 months later...

I too have just bought a 2010 SE Yeti at the start of this month

I took a 15 minute test drive and had no problems at all during that 15 minutes

And am sorry to say that the seats are causing me big problems, the seat has been adjusted up and down, back and forth, also the steering wheel

I did stick a normal cushion behind my back which gave me relief however it's not the safest way to drive incase I was in an accident, as I am sitting not back on to the seat properly using the cushion.

I've also bought a memory foam cushion from halfords which isn't very comfy either and again I am not supported fully in the seat

I love the car, it's fab, but I sat in two Volkswagens yesterday which had much better support in the seats, even manual lumber support my car has none, not even manual

I am only young and shouldn't have back pain every time I go out in the car, may I add of all the cars I have had in 10 years driving I have never had this complaint

My only option now is to save up a bit of a deposit, and buy another car

My next purchase I will be making sure manual or electric lumber support is available

Taking it for one long test dive

And making sure I have the mod cons I need before I part with any money

I can't comment - it's been a long while since I've driven a car in a manner where lateral support becomes an issue. I only get really 'spirited' when on two wheels (then my back aches - along with lots of other body parts :giggle: )

How do you get your Yeti to do wheelies ? :think:

I think seating is purely personal choice. No complaints from me after loads of company cars, mainly VAG group, which I would say are all firm, but this is much better than the ones fitted to the Toyota Prius I had. They were far to soft and it made them very uncomfortable over a long journey. OK I do not do the miles I did in the Yeti as I did before I retired, but I am sure if I did there would be pretty happy and well relaxed at the end of the day

I can say that we have had our Elegance for 18 months and have driven from UK to Spain several (at least 6) times, usually in 2 days which means around 950 miles the first day to Pamplona and then 650 miles the next day to Malaga and can still walk when we get out of the car. We do change drivers from time to time (usually when the passenger is bored) It is the most comfortable car I have driven and I have been driving over 50 years.

It is the first car that I have had that I would replace with the same car.

• Like 1

Unfortunately not all seat suit all people, which why they are adjustable. I think it's a shame car makers don't do more to give more adjustment and they should give as well as the up and down the ability to adjust the squab angle. I had a 1970 Volvo which had this via simply levers, left one raised the back the right one the front. It seems only rich people who buy top of range range cars are allowed to get comfortable, or you have to be lucky that the seat fits you. You could always specify the excellent 12 way vag group seats. Good luck with getting comfortable, I had a Fabia which in the end I had to sell because it gave me back ache, the seat just didn't suit me no matter what I did.

Gotta admit ,,, still haven't found perfect seating position after 1500 miles , determined to find the right position though. Do long journeys so have to sort this ,,,, reading so may people saying they love the seats makes me even more determined ! Do most of you sit quite high up ?

Gotta admit ,,, still haven't found perfect seating position after 1500 miles , determined to find the right position though. Do long journeys so have to sort this ,,,, reading so may people saying they love the seats makes me even more determined ! Do most of you sit quite high up ?

Not high up at all; didn't work for me (6' 3" by the way).

I have seat set to lowest, then quite far back (not fully), backrest fairly upright and steering wheel pulled fully towards me with top of the wheel aligned close to top of instruments.

PS> it took me quite some time to realise this was the best having worked with higher positions.

Guy

sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

I'm 6ft 2 and I've never had a problem with the seat comfort. I guess everyone is different but I have my seat quite high lumber on and steering and rake quite high.

I am a short arse compared to Dinski but I too have the seat and steering rake fairly high, and I find the seats much more comfortable than the leather seats in my old golf

• Like 1

I reckon that there are around 20 clicks - manual seat and bottom to top in adjustment. So for manual seats at least, it's fairly easy to specify the height in clicks. Mine is at around 10-12, so roughly midway. (It did surprise me on first acquaintance with the Yeti just how much vertical adjustment was possible.)

Edited by prodata
  • Like 1

We find with ours that the vertical adjustment also compensates for the need to slide the drivers seat forward and backwards. I am 5'.10" my wife is maybe 5" less than me. We find once the seat is set for me at about half vertical lift, that if Anita pumps the seat up fully she does not need to adjust the horizontal position. Simply Clever ? or a design accident ?

Edited by Andy831

I have raised the back of my seat runners by 40mm by using spacers and longer bolts. I am now very comfy. Previously I found the front of the seat dug into the back of my leg behind my knee.

I do suffer very badly from 'Duck's Disease'  ..... a term my father used for one's posterior to be too close to the ground...except  he didn't say posterior......

• Like 2

I have raised the back of my seat runners by 40mm by using spacers and longer bolts. I am now very comfy. Previously I found the front of the seat dug into the back of my leg behind my knee.

I do suffer very badly from 'Duck's Disease'  ..... a term my father used for one's posterior to be too close to the ground...except  he didn't say posterior......

This is a good idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have raised the back of my seat runners by 40mm by using spacers and longer bolts.

Can I ask what tool you used to undo the original bolts?  On mine they seem to have a multi-pointed star-shaped socket in the head, like a torx only about double the number of points.  The socket is also bigger than any torx bit I currently have.

I used a 3/8 drive Torx socket........ nothing fancy .....from ebay some years ago....or perhaps Machine Mart

It's a bit wet to go out and check

Nigel