2010 vrs need new tyres

need new front tyres on the octavia only done 9500 miles and just seen a lot of reviews saying the dunlops are a poor wet weather tyre;get alot of wheel spin in damp conditions can hardly put the foot down when wet,looking for something with a good all round performance in the wet or dry ,thanks david

need new front tyres on the octavia only done 9500 miles and just seen a lot of reviews saying the dunlops are a poor wet weather tyre;get alot of wheel spin in damp conditions can hardly put the foot down when wet,looking for something with a good all round performance in the wet or dry ,thanks david

Bridgestone Potenzo R050 on my '10 vRS and the symptoms are identical to your dunlop's..

I have heard good reviews about Hankook tyres.. There are a few threads on here discussing the different options.

Have a search ;)

Ive now got Falkens all around and for 65.00 a corner, they really arent a bad tyre at all. Fronts have been on longer than the rears and they seem to be wearing slowly so thats a good thing, unlike the dunlops! If you want falke, camskill are the cheapest place and do quick delivery.

I second the Falkens, I don't have a Vrs but my PD140 is remapped and has plenty of torque to put a tyre under pressure and I can't fault the Falken 912. I know you will get people telling you that you have to stick to the premium brands to get top performance, thats ok if money is not an object!!

Camskill.co.uk is a brilliant online seller.

Wow that is low mileage for a set of tyres! I just replaced my front Contis and got twice as many miles as you out of these.

I have replaced the Contis with Kumho's which I love and will expect at least 20k out of these including a track evening or two over the summer.

Wow that is low mileage for a set of tyres! I just replaced my front Contis and got twice as many miles as you out of these.

I have replaced the Contis with Kumho's which I love and will expect at least 20k out of these including a track evening or two over the summer.

its just the fronts have a shark remap on it but dont drive crazy the backs are still ok,what about michelin pilots

Edited by davydoo

Hi Daveydoo, I also got a mere 10k miles out of my front Dunlops.

Nearly down to the pips and severe wear on the inside edge (2nd layer of rubber), I hope my camber is OK.

Replaced with Nexen N6000, although also considered Falkens and Khumos.

My tyre man was very polite and did not recommend Dunlop Maxx sp's (he was laughing)

I also got some really gay metallic blue valves, but told to watch out for the caps corroding on.

Hi davydoo , i am currently running "Hankook Ventus V12 evo's" on my vRS and upto now they have covered 21k , just had a service and still have a good few months in them , will see me upto the summer ;) even in the wet they grip really well & even in the snow they were ok :sweat:

Paid £110 each fitted & balanced :thumbup:

Edited by smog monster

Fitted Vredestein ultrac sessanta's on my VRS back in Oct. as the Dunlop's were f***ked after 8k with steady driving !Can reccommend the Vred's.

im running the Pilot Sport 3's on the front not cheap but excellent, night and day difference over the continentals it came with.

Second that! I honestly enjoy the car more now. Just seems more sure footed and predictable with overall better traction.

The problem with asking for advice on a forum is that you get a lot of opinions and none of them are objective.

Unless you are comparing tyres back to back on the same car in the same conditions its not really possible to assess the relative performance. Its common to hear "i took x off and replaced with y and it was much better" but that's really not much help as x was probably down to the wear bars..! Also, everyone has a different view of what "good" actually is (wet grip, dry grip, wet braking, dry braking, aquaplaning resistance, noise, wear, price etc etc!)

I read most of the motoring magazines and always take note of the tyre tests. FWIW I've replaced my OE Conti SportContact2's with the newer SportContact3's which have fared very well in the magazines.

I can categorically say that the new tyres are much better than the worn out covers I took off. HTH.

Agree with the above and also picked up 4 new sport contact 3's to go on next week. Came top in a recent tyre test where they tested them on Octy's. Regardless, must be better than the dreadful dunlops they are replacing!

I can categorically say that the new tyres are much better than the worn out covers I took off. HTH.

I think the O/P was well aware he could get differing views and a selection of opinions and thus some trends is what he was after, not someone stating internet forums can be subjective, well done on that one!

HTH rob_e :thumbup:

I've had conti 3's on my audi, they were hard to fault perfromance wise wet or dry, wear rates were approx 10K on fronts on a diesel driven mainly around town.

Yeh but you have to factor in fitting at around 15-20 quid.

Personally i'll be adding 4 new Uniroyal Rainsport 2's to the car in a week or two £110 fitted 225/40/18 :thumbup:

Is that £110 for 4 Uniroyals inc fitting? :no:

Second that! I honestly enjoy the car more now. Just seems more sure footed and predictable with overall better traction.

================================================================================================================

Third vote for Mich PS3s. It is really between Conti and Mich and I would say PS3 by a nose. Bridgestone RE050 are awefully hard and will change around 12K which should be in about 5 weeks at the 1K a week I am doing.

Have the PS3s on the TSI VRS now, Contis on the diesel. tyrereviews.co.uk OK site.

I think the O/P was well aware he could get differing views and a selection of opinions and thus some trends is what he was after, not someone stating internet forums can be subjective, well done on that one!

HTH rob_e :thumbup:

I've had conti 3's on my audi, they were hard to fault perfromance wise wet or dry, wear rates were approx 10K on fronts on a diesel driven mainly around town.

The O/P was probably well aware they you get a lot of trolls on internet forums too . . . :|