New mods fitted

Over the last week, I have finally got around to fitting a few modifications that I have been meaning to do for ages. I had the wheels refurbed in metallic Aston Martin anthracite and had a new set of Continental Sport Contact 3 fitted at the same time. I also added 15mm spacers to the rear wheels.

A whiteline rear anti roll bar, anti lift kit and TTS short shifter were all fitted my Matt at Volkscraft in Exeter.

All in all, these few modifications have totally transformed the handling. The understeer has gone and the car is so much more planted with better drive out of corners. My wife summed it up well by saying 'I'm not sure what you have done to the car, but its f*****g awesome!'

I have a milltek non-resonated catback being fitted next week and think I will also have the rarb adjusted to the hardest setting as I feel it would benefit even more from this.

Here are a few pics I took today. Apologies that they are slightly out of focus, but I was trying some HDR shots whilst balanced on a broom handle! Also, I know the car needs a good clean, it is also awaiting its spring detail in the next few weeks.

IMGP1746.jpg

IMGP1749.jpg

IMGP1752.jpg

what spacers do you recommend for the rears? do you need longer bolts?

thanks

Personally I wouldn't want to go anymore than 15mm. They need to be hubcentric and as you rightly said, you need longer bolts. I bought some on ebay as recommended by 'sprout99' in a previous post. There are plenty on there, and they come with the longer bolts. Cost £50 delivered.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280629428836&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3640wt_1042

Over the last week, I have finally got around to fitting a few modifications that I have been meaning to do for ages. I had the wheels refurbed in metallic Aston Martin anthracite and had a new set of Continental Sport Contact 3 fitted at the same time. I also added 15mm spacers to the rear wheels.

A whiteline rear anti roll bar, anti lift kit and TTS short shifter were all fitted my Matt at Volkscraft in Exeter.

All in all, these few modifications have totally transformed the handling. The understeer has gone and the car is so much more planted with better drive out of corners. My wife summed it up well by saying 'I'm not sure what you have done to the car, but its f*****g awesome!'

I have a milltek non-resonated catback being fitted next week and think I will also have the rarb adjusted to the hardest setting as I feel it would benefit even more from this.

Here are a few pics I took today. Apologies that they are slightly out of focus, but I was trying some HDR shots whilst balanced on a broom handle! Also, I know the car needs a good clean, it is also awaiting its spring detail in the next few weeks.

IMGP1746.jpg

IMGP1749.jpg

IMGP1752.jpg

That setup really looks well now. They rear spacer are really needed for the vRS, i've them on mine too. 20mm each side. Love the wheels. have you a code for the paint?

you've made up my mind, I need that colour...

Got any pics of the rear antiroll bar, does it make that much difference and take much space? looks good :thumbup:

I think you might be getting confused and thinking of a roll cage? The vRS already has an anti roll bar. Its a piece of shaped tubular metal under the car which attached to the suspension drop links. The one I fitted is purely thicker and stronger/firmer and therefore doesn't allow the car to roll as much in the corners, hence the name.

The Whiteline one has three settings, soft/medium/hard. Mine is currently on the medium setting but will be changed to the hard in the next few days. (The soft setting is still quite a bit stiffer than standard). The bar cost just under £150 form Awesome. Not sure on fitting as I paid £100 for the RARB, ALK, TTS shifter and laser alignment. If you are pretty handy and have the tools, it would be pretty easy to fit yourself.

That setup really looks well now. They rear spacer are really needed for the vRS, i've them on mine too. 20mm each side. Love the wheels. have you a code for the paint?

you've made up my mind, I need that colour...

I'm afraid I dont have the code. Its an Aston Martin metallic anthracite but was very similar to an Audi one, which looked the same as rob_e had on his. Any decent refurber will have a number of different colours to choose from.

I'm afraid I dont have the code. Its an Aston Martin metallic anthracite but was very similar to an Audi one, which looked the same as rob_e had on his. Any decent refurber will have a number of different colours to choose from.

thanks bud. :thumbup:

Have you got Eibachs or similar on there too? I'm considering the WALK and RARB too, seems like a simple way to really improve the car.

Yeah, eibachs but the standard dampers. It's in my sig, but can't figure out how to change the font colour to make it less invisible! I was quite surprised how much better the car was after fitting the RARB and WALK. As most on here say, got to be the best value for money mods.

Looks excellent :)

How do you rate the Eibachs? Ride any firmer than standard?

I had them fitted by Awesome at 3000 miles and have done 11000 on them. I find the ride absolutely fine and very similar to standard. It is a touch firmer and the car felt a little better, but it was more about sorting out the comedy ride height!

Yeah, eibachs but the standard dampers. It's in my sig, but can't figure out how to change the font colour to make it less invisible! I was quite surprised how much better the car was after fitting the RARB and WALK. As most on here say, got to be the best value for money mods.

Cool. I've got the springs sitting at home so I think I'll wait until I can afford the other bits and get them all fitted at the same time as that should keep the labour cost down vs doing them as separate jobs, esp since it'd need the alignment doing each time otherwise.

What kind of increased insurance premiums are people getting for fitting these suspension mods?

I'll probably get it done in April, Fiscon bluetooth and Columbus are top of the list once I get the car delivered (tomorrow!)

Are you just getting the cat back or a full system? I ask as you will not gain any benefit other than noise fitting the rear section only. Im leaving mine as standard and removing the pre cat this week. This should give me a few more ponies without spending £500ish for a Sport DP and another £100 for a stage 2 map for only roughly a 20bhp gain. Might be worth you doing it and saving a few pounds?

By the way your car looks awesome :thumbup:

Are you just getting the cat back or a full system? I ask as you will not gain any benefit other than noise fitting the rear section only. Im leaving mine as standard and removing the pre cat this week. This should give me a few more ponies without spending £500ish for a Sport DP and another £100 for a stage 2 map for only roughly a 20bhp gain. Might be worth you doing it and saving a few pounds?

By the way your car looks awesome :thumbup:

Just the cat back for now. I really want a bit more noise and I hate the look of the standard sloping pipes on the vRS. I intend to go stage 2 in the future and will get the downpipe when I can afford it. Also, Milltek are yet to develop the downpipe/sports cat for the Tsi engine in the vRS although they have completed it for the Gti and Scirroco, so shouldn't be too far away.