Oredering Tomorrow

Right am going in to order my car tomorrow.

Going for a petrol VRS with DSG in candy white.

But, definately am having heated seats, rear parking sensors, auto light pack thing.

Although having looked at the brochure again tonight I cant make my mind up on the other extras, xenons, never had them and whilst I dont doubt how useful they are I have never had them so therefore do I really need them? Besides I dont really want to spend £700 on another extra? Full leather, no paying the amount they want for the small amount of extra leather you actually get, so the extras I cant make my mind up on are the bluetooth and telephone preperation, I have an iphone 4 so does that sync with it all OK? Does it stream the music from the iphone? If so, that seems to mean that the MDI is of no real use as if I need to charge the phone I can just use my £2 in car charger, Is the bluetooth option really worth it? In the main for the music I will just use an SD card.

I just think that while these things are desirable, do I really need them??

Thoughts anyone before I go in and sign on the dotted line tomorrow?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also say order the spare wheel. Also if not going for full leather I am not sure if heated seats are really needed since the bit that will be heated is fabric so does not feel that cold anyway. Personally I went for the leather and glad I did, although the amount of leather maybe small it does add a touch more quality to the interior. It also removes the light coloured alcantra material at the front of the seats which can look dirty/tatty after not that long. I would say not to bother with Xenons as they are quite a bit and the normal lights are more than adequate. Unless you do a lot of night driving in unlit areas I do not think the Xenons are going to give much benefit. I believe the current bluetooth system will work fine with the iphone but will not stream music from it.

Edited by PSM

Heated seats are for the wife, she suffers from peripheral neuropathy, so heated seats are more a 'pain relief' thing, it just makes journies more comfortable, so thats a must really, yes I think the DSG does come with maxidot anyway, as for diesel, for the mileage I do the petrol is a deffo, besides been driving diesels for years now and want a change :-)

Side airbags, spare wheel, heated seats, rear parking sensors. Forget the leather. Xenons only if you do a lot of country driving, if all motorway save money and stick with normal lights.

Xenons are fantastic if you're doing any unlit road driving or if you plan on taking the car abroad - you can switch the beam to a flat pattern through maxidot to avoid blinding the Europeans.

My last three cars have had Xenons. Wouldn't go back now!

The TSI engine is brilliant with the DSG. Great choice!

Now I am all confused! I thought I had my spec sorted out!!! :-)

Cant decide about the extra bits now!!! If you have the spare wheel where is that stored? If you dont have the spare wheel what do you get? Just the tub of gunk and a compressor?

What about the bluetooth, is that worth the extra or is there better integrated after market stuff??

What about the bluetooth, is that worth the extra or is there better integrated after market stuff??

The bluetooth is totally intergrated with the maxidot and Bolero ICE. It is in effect a complete phone but without a SIM card.

Works best if your mobile is RSAP equipped.

Glad I spent the extra, connection is seamless every time I get in the car.

Text messages are displayed on the maxidot

Now I am all confused! I thought I had my spec sorted out!!! :-)

Cant decide about the extra bits now!!! If you have the spare wheel where is that stored? If you dont have the spare wheel what do you get? Just the tub of gunk and a compressor?

Spare sits flush under the boot floor, doesn't take any other space up. Definitely recommend it, if you order it now it'll cost you ~£50, if you order it from a dealer after you've bought the car it's ~£120!

Hy I just wanted to know don't u guys get sunroof as standard on the rs??? Have seen many many pics of vrs s here but none with a roof ...! Is it not even an option?

Xenon's are a must once you have tried them ....however as you say what you have never had before you will not miss, bit of a warning though, once you have had them you will never want to go back to halogens!

Bluetooth works faultlessly with the iPhone4 (my Superb has the Columbus radio) as well as streaming the music - although I have only tried this the once as all my music is on the SD card.

The bluetooth is totally intergrated with the maxidot and Bolero ICE. It is in effect a complete phone but without a SIM card.

Works best if your mobile is RSAP equipped.

Glad I spent the extra, connection is seamless every time I get in the car.

Text messages are displayed on the maxidot

I don't think this is possible with the iPhone4?

If you don't order the spare wheel, then you also don't get any of the tools either (jack, wheelbrace etc)

Hy I just wanted to know don't u guys get sunroof as standard on the rs??? Have seen many many pics of vrs s here but none with a roof ...! Is it not even an option?

Sunroof is an option on the vRS over here - however I've never seen one fitted nor known anyone to order it.

Personally I cannot see the need for it - I've got climate control.

I had a Renault (many moons ago) with both a sunroof and AC.

I think I opened the roof three times in the four years I had it.

The sunroof comprises the rigidity of the car, therefore it is best left of if you like spririted driving etc. It is also rendered slightly pointless with climate control. However each to their own and if it works for you then great :thumbup:

Xenons are expensive and whilst good (my last car had them as standard fit) I'm not sure I'd ever pay the premium to have them as an extra. I've replaced my headlamp bulbs with some legal uprated ones and the difference is amazing. for circa £25 you'll get 90% of the performance of the xenons. I would personally stick with the basics with the extras, PDC , spare wheel, etc and pocket the rest.

The sunroof comprises the rigidity of the car, therefore it is best left of if you like spririted driving etc. It is also rendered slightly pointless with climate control. However each to their own and if it works for you then great :thumbup:

Xenons are expensive and whilst good (my last car had them as standard fit) I'm not sure I'd ever pay the premium to have them as an extra. I've replaced my headlamp bulbs with some legal uprated ones and the difference is amazing. for circa £25 you'll get 90% of the performance of the xenons. I would personally stick with the basics with the extras, PDC , spare wheel, etc and pocket the rest.

Sunroof yes slightly less rigidity but to be honest mere mortals like us will never notice it, I wouldnt pay extra for it but I do miss it from my old Octy's

Xenons are expensive, Its nice to have lights that move on tight corners & also with maxidot you can switch to euro driving within the menu. Downside I found with the Scout Xenons as supplied is the cut off on dip is very severe & on tight right hand corners in poor visibility, ie wet winters night your driving has to be somewhat slower than the car is capable of. I had mine looked at by the dealer & they tweaked them up so it is overcomable. overall I would have them again but agree uprated bulbs in the non xenon lights are pretty good.

Spare wheel is a definate yes in my book, the can of squirt may get you home but most tyre companies wont fix a puncture after that due to the mess in the tyre so a small puncture means a new tyre

Right have been and done the order!

I had my monthly budget in mind so have had to keep in with that, so have gone for:

Candy white

Petrol dsg

Rear parking sensors

Heated seats

Auto light, wipers etc

Spare wheel

Decided to upgrade the headlight bulbs to legal ones if I decide to, and as for the Bluetooth was just too expensive fir my budget so am going to stick with the sd card fir music and a window mount for iPhone sat nav and calls etc!!

So overall very pleased, can't wait til September now!!!

All at the earliest date I want it and within my busget' job done!

Happy, happy, happy!!!

James

You're getting the car in September?

The petrol cars are coming through a lot quicker than that.

I ordered mine at the end of February, I've had confirmation it was built on 24th of March and I'm expecting delivery within the next couple of weeks.

You're hoping yours is going to take 6 months to get here?

Part of the "Vat Free" deal is that you have the car registered etc within 10 days of the car being available.

Did the dealer actually agree to you ordering under the VAT free offer and not taking delivery until September?

You're getting the car in September?

The petrol cars are coming through a lot quicker than that.

I ordered mine at the end of February, I've had confirmation it was built on 24th of March and I'm expecting delivery within the next couple of weeks.

You're hoping yours is going to take 6 months to get here?

Part of the "Vat Free" deal is that you have the car registered etc within 10 days of the car being available.

Did the dealer actually agree to you ordering under the VAT free offer and not taking delivery until September?

Yes they have agreed, all on the order form delivery to myself on August 31st and registered from September 1st, the latest bullet in from Skoda which he got last Friday shows a 20 week lead time the petrol Octavia VRS, he has agreed to it, the paperwork states the VAT offer, the invoice states the price etc so thats it really, I kept on questioning them about the VAT offer and the lead time and they have assured me that it wont affect anything etc etc etc, got it in black and white on the invoice, so thats it as far as I am concerned really.

Must admit I was surprised that they agreed to it all, and were prepared to put it in writing etc, Skoda factory also closes for two weeks the end of July, so that takes shipping date to mid- August apparently, anyway, he will confirm things once he has the order confirmation from Skoda.

Oh one thing I have forgotten to mention is that my dealer has done all the deal on the price in the brochure using the column that shows the base price before the VAT is added, i.e. the first of the four columns, not sure how that equates in the whole calculation thing? He has also added on the delivery costs, tax, first registration costs etc which I presume dont qualify for the VAT offer and then added them on to the cost? Does that sound about right? Overall, the price I got was about £100 more than the Drive the Deal price which I am happy with.

Hi James, it sounds like you've got a good deal there. The calculation sounds about right. You do actually pay the VAT but Skoda discount the car to the same amount so you are effectively not paying the VAT. As long as it is in black and white that you have done the deal for delivery and registration on Sept 1st it sounds like you are onto a winner, especially so if the build is done from week 22 onwards as if I rememeber correctly, that is when the new year model upgrades come in.

Ian