VAG 170 PS Diesel Injector Failures - VOSA action

Hi Guys

Your posts make very interesting reading.

I cant see why VOSA would take any interest in your letter with VAG injectors failing. ""crap ball joints & track rod end's then you might get a result""

Being an mot station and garage owner for the past 30 years what has this problem have to do with road safty???

Engine Parts fail all the time while driving without warning from alternator drive belts, cam belts, diesel vacuum pumps, which result in loss of power steering or servo assistance of the brakes they still work but not as well.

I will keep reading with interest.

Chris K

Hi Guys

Your posts make very interesting reading.

I cant see why VOSA would take any interest in your letter with VAG injectors failing. ""crap ball joints & track rod end's then you might get a result""

Being an mot station and garage owner for the past 30 years what has this problem have to do with road safty???

Engine Parts fail all the time while driving without warning from alternator drive belts, cam belts, diesel vacuum pumps, which result in loss of power steering or servo assistance of the brakes they still work but not as well.

I will keep reading with interest.

Chris K

Parts might fail all the time, however its clear that there are issues with the quality of injectors fitted to VAG engines of a certain type... if a manufacturer knows there are problems, why shouldn't they replace them? I wouldn't want my injectors to go whilst towing my caravan on a busy motorway when the manufacturer knows there are issues...

sent via HTC

Well I've got the car back and seems well, touch wood.

Trouble is the only paperwork they gave me is a plain piece of paper that has my name, the job no and a description of the work done, reg no, my signature and date on it. It's not even on letter headed paper. There's also a visual check sheet highlighting some other issues they've come across.

Anyone else who has this work done, what paperwork were you given? I'm going to call Simon at Skoda CS on Monday and explain this to him. Really I'd like something a bit more official.

Scan of my paperwork attached showing all the part numbers etc. I've cropped off the top with my details on but there's no reason why the dealer shouldnt issue something similar

skodainv001.jpg

Another call to customer services. No record of my case, it hadn't been set up since the call 10 days ago. After taking.the details again, someone called Simon is going to call back to discuss the case, but they are still adamant that if any diagnostic check shows no problem, they will not be changed... wait and see now..

sent via HTC

Another call to customer services. No record of my case, it hadn't been set up since the call 10 days ago. After taking.the details again, someone called Simon is going to call back to discuss the case, but they are still adamant that if any diagnostic check shows no problem, they will not be changed... wait and see now..

sent via HTC

Have you tried the VOSA route. I had no problem once I e-mailed them.

Without reading all 282 posts is there any way of telling if the faulty Injectors are fitted to your car. Do you just go to a dealer and ask for a Scan or do you ring Skoda UK and tell them your car is running fine but can you change the Injectors/loom just in case?

Any symptoms of possible failure?? My Vrs stutters now and then but I assumed that was the manifold gasket

Got back off holiday and hadnt heard anything from Loders, rang them and got the receptionist and was told that Tim wanted to speak to me, rang me back and was told the car is ready to collect all done new injectors fited. Went and picked it up was given the key and told paperwork will be sent to me in the post.

As previous posts have said seems more responsive and quieter.

Without reading all 282 posts is there any way of telling if the faulty Injectors are fitted to your car. Do you just go to a dealer and ask for a Scan or do you ring Skoda UK and tell them your car is running fine but can you change the Injectors/loom just in case?

Any symptoms of possible failure?? My Vrs stutters now and then but I assumed that was the manifold gasket

Anyone??

Anyone??

As far as im aware there are no symptoms the car just will just cut out without much warning at all. Your stuttering is nothing to do with your injectors.

I'm pretty sure all PD170 engines are fitted with the dodgy ijectors (Siemens Piezo) but i stand to be corrected on that.

If your concerned give Skoda CS a call. They will ask for your chasis and reg no. etc. and will be able to tell if your car is fitted with the Siemens inj.

I registered my concerns with VOSA first and i didnt have any problems getting mine changed WITHOUT the need for a diag check. Others dont seem to be having as much joy for some reason which leads me to believe that maybe not all the PD170 engines Siemens injectors fitted???

As far as im aware there are no symptoms the car just will just cut out without much warning at all. Your stuttering is nothing to do with your injectors.

I'm pretty sure all PD170 engines are fitted with the dodgy ijectors (Siemens Piezo) but i stand to be corrected on that.

If your concerned give Skoda CS a call. They will ask for your chasis and reg no. etc. and will be able to tell if your car is fitted with the Siemens inj.

I registered my concerns with VOSA first and i didnt have any problems getting mine changed WITHOUT the need for a diag check. Others dont seem to be having as much joy for some reason which leads me to believe that maybe not all the PD170 engines Siemens injectors fitted???

SUK didn't ask me for chassis / reg no - they just directed me to the local dealer for a diagnostic check.

SUK didn't ask me for chassis / reg no - they just directed me to the local dealer for a diagnostic check.

Strange. There are a few inconsistencies on how they are treating everybody on this. Its almost like they're randomly selecting who should have them changed and who shouldn't.

Does anyone actually know if all the PD170's are fitted with the Siemens injectors or is there a possibility that some engines have a different type fitted??

Got back off holiday and hadnt heard anything from Loders, rang them and got the receptionist and was told that Tim wanted to speak to me, rang me back and was told the car is ready to collect all done new injectors fited. Went and picked it up was given the key and told paperwork will be sent to me in the post.

As previous posts have said seems more responsive and quieter.

[/quote

My average displayed mpg mainly motorway driving has improved from around 44mpg to around 48mpg since I got the injectors fitted

Strange. There are a few inconsistencies on how they are treating everybody on this. Its almost like they're randomly selecting who should have them changed and who shouldn't.

Does anyone actually know if all the PD170's are fitted with the Siemens injectors or is there a possibility that some engines have a different type fitted??

According to the chap I spoke to, Simon, he said not all are affected... but in my opinion if a pre emptive change is good enough for one owner who is concerned, then it should apply to all...

Next stop VOSA for me now before I book in for the diagnostic...

Rich.

sent via HTC

According to the chap I spoke to, Simon, he said not all are affected... but in my opinion if a pre emptive change is good enough for one owner who is concerned, then it should apply to all...

Rich.

sent via HTC

I never even had a diagnostic i just said I wanted them changed and they agreed

If the diagnostic comes back as no fault with the injectors, which it will if the car is actually running, will you happily drive off and never bother them again??

Rich.

sent via HTC

Hhhmmmm, they're either fobbing people off or there are genuinely different injectors in some of the 170 engines.

Surely they should be able to tell from the chasis number which type are fitted, thereby eradicating the need for diagnostic check?

Ask for the part numbers fitted to your engine in writing then, so when they do fail, you can either accept they made a mistake or you can use it as proof they are fobbing people off.

On a different note, I finally worked out using DVLA online records and general feedback on engines affected, models and manufactuing dates, that there were 8500 of these 170s with siemens injecotrs registered in 2006. 1744 Octavias and 641 Elegance. 2094, 273, the year after. Total new 170s on the road in 2007 was about 16800 (although this figure may be half because some models were changed etc...). I've posted the table on Audi-Sport.

For anyone who is curious, this may be a good place to start:

Link: http://howmanyleft.co.uk/

I personally feel like I'm getting fobbed off. My car gets it's diagnostic check this afternoon, but I doubt any faults will show up. If that's the case, I'll send an email to VOSA and see if they have any luck. When speaking to Skoda uk I was led to believe that people aren't getting pre emptive replacements unless there is or has been any history of injector problems on the car. Reading posts on here clearly suggests otherwise. We'll see what happens this afternoon.

I personally feel like I'm getting fobbed off. My car gets it's diagnostic check this afternoon, but I doubt any faults will show up. If that's the case, I'll send an email to VOSA and see if they have any luck. When speaking to Skoda uk I was led to believe that people aren't getting pre emptive replacements unless there is or has been any history of injector problems on the car. Reading posts on here clearly suggests otherwise. We'll see what happens this afternoon.

I would ring Simon Ackroyd, the man who has been assigned to deal with all injector issues. He actually works for SEAT but I think they all work in the same contact centre.

Mention that you've spoken to VOSA.

Pre-emptive replacements are certainly being done, not just for Octys but Audi, VW and Seat also.

Had my car back on August 5th after injector replacement courtesy of Skoda UK and car has been running really well since its return.....that was until last week when the DPF light came on.

Wasn't overly concerned and managed to get on a dual carriageway, so after a 10 imniute spell of 50+mph it went out but it came on again the following day just as I joined the M4. Again it went off after 5-10minutes but on both occasions, and also when pulling away from junctions since, hard acceleration surprisingly didn't result in plumes of black smoke from the exhaust. This made me think that the filter isn't that clogged up, and it might be a result of having an injector failure and some excess fuel getting into the DPF.

I know this might seem slightly off topic but am curious to find out if its happened to anyone else since having an injector failure and subsequent replacement?

James

My DPF has clogged up a few times, but as my car is remapped it tends to clog up quicker anyway and has done before the injector replcament

Was is noticeable is the car is smoother, quieter, seem s a bit nippier and is more economical since injector replacement