Technical help from myself..part2

Tech1e

why don't they want techs giving out part numbers?

Its not that they want to protect part numbers as such. Alot of it is to protect myself from possbile legal trouble.

An example (made up)

A couple of members/customers complain of a knock from a suspension joint, I hear on the grape vine that part no XYZ will resolve this problem. A customer goes into a dealer and orders then fits XYZ and the strut falls off because its not actually meant for this car. (worse case scenario, it may just be the part doesnt fit)

Possible cause, I heard the person incorrectly and quoted the wrong number, or it wasnt a tried and tested solution for the problem. It involves me in a process that really I shouldnt be involved with. If there is any information you require it should come from customer services. If I start giving information out willy nilly im interupting a system that is in place and controlled legally.

I love reading your posts and learning more and more about all the wee niggles with my car and how to sort them.

Glad to hear that you and the VAG "Men In Black" may have come to an amicable solution. :thumbup:

Perhaps you can tell me how you did it?

I sometimes give simple medical advice on the site, nothing drastic, no part numbers, no recall notices, no bulletin numbers etc etc but.....

God.Com has emailed me to say that I am breaching the software licence as a medical practitioner and that all MK I Homosapiens should approach the dealer first and should not be given part numbers or self-help advice :rolleyes:

I've noticed a few Briskodians sufferring from worn out rear end suspension, blocked air filters, excessive consumption, difficult starting etc etc and most of these are covered by Homosapiens Bulletins 1-256 but as you say, if I divulge these design errors then I may be liable in the eyes of the manufacturer??? :confused:

MEMO TO SELF: Put down the vodka glass prior to going online :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's good news yes. Of course it is.

But wouldn't it be really nice to have a Skoda rep on here? Someone who is actually employed by Skoda Uk? Then they can give out details of new problems found and the fixes available, but an actual official thing from Skoda. This would also mean they get a feel for what we want in our next car come 3 years time and would help better spec and price we really like, enjoy and would recommend.

If this has happened due to a Skoda Uk rep being here, make yourself known, let us be able to help you produce the cars we want to be proud of. However, if we did have a rep, they mustn't get involved in idividual cases of problems with owners cars, but they could bring something up if a good dozen cars are affected by a similar problem.

This could be the start of a better Skoda, and no-one here would want anything but that.

Its not that they want to protect part numbers as such. Alot of it is to protect myself from possbile legal trouble.

An example (made up)

A couple of members/customers complain of a knock from a suspension joint' date=' I hear on the grape vine that part no XYZ will resolve this problem. A customer goes into a dealer and orders then fits XYZ and the strut falls off because its not actually meant for this car. (worse case scenario, it may just be the part doesnt fit)

Possible cause, I heard the person incorrectly and quoted the wrong number, or it wasnt a tried and tested solution for the problem. It involves me in a process that really I shouldnt be involved with. If there is any information you require it should come from customer services. If I start giving information out willy nilly im interupting a system that is in place and controlled legally.[/quote']

Fair comment Ross, I understand why now

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Glad to hear it's all cleared up. As the Skoda man says cover your a**e. Look forward to your assistance in the future.

Come on Skoda if you read all this, then why don't you post " there is a fix to your problem" contact your dealer referenced to TNS-XXX.

It ain't difficult, just imagine satisfied customers. Better JD Power results, more sales.

A couple of members/customers complain of a knock from a suspension joint' date=' I hear on the grape vine that part no XYZ will resolve this problem. A customer goes into a dealer and orders then fits XYZ and the strut falls off because its not actually meant for this car. (worse case scenario, it may just be the part doesnt fit)

Possible cause, I heard the person incorrectly and quoted the wrong number, or it wasnt a tried and tested solution for the problem. It involves me in a process that really I shouldnt be involved with. If there is any information you require it should come from customer services. If I start giving information out willy nilly im interupting a system that is in place and controlled legally.[/quote']

I can see your point, but at the same time is that a problem with giving out part numbers, or a problem with "blind diagnosis"? Which, I note, I have yet to see you do, and your recommendations usually conclude with advice to get the dealer to check the problem.

If someone were to after a specific part (for example, a couple of clips for the boot trim) surely looking up that part number for someone because their dealer has taken over 14 months to still not find it, there wouldn't be any legal issues with that, and it would just be compensating for failures in the system? (Just an example. :D )

Rob.

It's good news yes. Of course it is.

But wouldn't it be really nice to have a Skoda rep on here? Someone who is actually employed by Skoda Uk? Then they can give out details of new problems found and the fixes available' date=' but an actual official thing from Skoda. This would also mean they get a feel for what we want in our next car come 3 years time and would help better spec and price we really like, enjoy and would recommend.

If this has happened due to a Skoda Uk rep being here, make yourself known, let us be able to help you produce the cars we want to be proud of. However, if we did have a rep, they mustn't get involved in idividual cases of problems with owners cars, but they could bring something up if a good dozen cars are affected by a similar problem.

This could be the start of a better Skoda, and no-one here would want anything but that.[/quote']

Richard,

While we all would agree that this would be an excellent idea, myself and others who have spoken to Skoda UK, know from experience that there are a couple of reasons why they won't do it :-

1) They will not affiliate themselves with any particular site. ( from my conversation back in May last year,[ only had 3400 members then] they do not even contribute to the " official Skoda owners club " any more )

2) They do not have the time or resourcing to moderate internet sites. (despite the fact that that they blatantly have someone lurking this site, & have attempted to interfere in its content. )

Lets just wait & see what happens, it would appear that this site has made some impression on Skoda UK. If we can all continue to show that we are sensible, dedicated, enthusiasts of the Skoda brand - Who knows !

Steve

• Administrators

Somthing very odd just happened...sorry if I've messed up a thread...

Meant to say this:

Quote:

1) They will not affiliate themselves with any particular site. ( from my conversation back in May last year,[ only had 3400 members then] they do not even contribute to the " official Skoda owners club " any more )

It was asked of me if we were official, we of course are not...but no one else is either wink.gif

Affliation is not an end goal for me. Good contributions are however, which is why I'm happy this situation is a lot clearer now.

I shall try to seek some general clarification on a few points raised. I agree somebody of a mechanical nature issuing part numbers is potentially risky on a blind dianosis, however I cannot see the harm in it for specific guides or walktrhoughs eg, changing your door pins to shiny silver ones. Sorry a very weak example, but I trust you follow me.

Now it's clarified, perhaps Ross could have his own part of the forum -

Ask Ross.....

The management were asking for SkodaUK Briskoda members to identify themselves - Did anyone?

Cheers Steve for your feedback.

I hope that Skoda do feel we are doing our best to help promote their brand and recognise us.

It would be nice for some official recognition, but I appreciate that wouldn't happen. Would be nice for someone to be able to give all the official news going though, instead of us having to read it a few weeks later in AutoExpress.

In a world of cut pricing by every company, brand loyalty most play some part in all companies agenda.

Colin

Sorry if i have caused any confusion, Thanks for the correction.

It appears that recent events have people thinking this site deserves some recognition from S.UK.

Afillitaion with S.UK may not be in the best interest of the members of the site, as it could dilute the contribution made by members, being restricted by the Rules & Regulations imposed by S.UK.

I got the impression that the members were more incensed at the interference by S. UK on the freedom of flow of information on this site.

In the cold light of day - Keep this site free of corporate interference. :)

Steve