Footwell Lights

For the rear ones there is already a Cut out at the back of the front seats ...

In order to route the wire ... When u take your driver s seat (assuming RHD) all the way back ... You will see a small flap like opening already cut out in the carpet on the right hand side ... The wires can be routed through that ... Jus remember to give the wire enough slack ... So that it's not stretched when moving the seat front or back ..

yup, i can see the cutout for the rear footlights.

IMAG0107.jpg

"You will see a small flap like opening already cut out in the carpet on the right hand side ... The wires can be routed through that "

question is how do i get to that flap opening? removing the door sills plastic cover is one option, but on the drivers side, the bonnet lever will cause some headache i believe.

can someone tell me how i remove this white connector? i need to put the wiring into pin #50.

IMAG0099.jpg

• Like 1

There is a white locking lever (you can just see it on the black plug above), pull this lever downwards to unlock it and the plug then just pulls out, you are going to need the repair wire to go into the correct.pin.

On my MKI Superb when I fitted electric seats, I routed the power cables through a hole in the carpet (where the OE looms went to the seats) and then ran the cables behind the centre console.

Yes Mike, do a google search as it is just the same on other VAG models, the CECM plugs are completely different on pre 09 cars though.

Just done a search for you and from memory this looks spot on for older cars:

http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/5062-Footwell-Light-Install-DIY

I would have got a green lense, a bit harsh in white, my wife's Ds3 has orange which looks cool , old thread revive!

On the newer cars with a white maxidot the footwell lights can be dimmed to overcome this, not sure if the older cars have this option as well though.

Alternatively just buy different colour bulbs if you want something different, there are many to choose from on eBay etc.

my million dollar question is "how do i get the wires from the front to the middle via the centre console?"

if i remove the ashtray, is that enough? do i have to remove the centre carpet wall/skirts?

does it involve removing the jumbo box?

plana.jpg

planb.jpg

yup, i can see the cutout for the rear footlights.

"You will see a small flap like opening already cut out in the carpet on the right hand side ... The wires can be routed through that "

question is how do i get to that flap opening? removing the door sills plastic cover is one option, but on the drivers side, the bonnet lever will cause some headache i believe.

can someone tell me how i remove this white connector? i need to put the wiring into pin #50.

IMAG0099.jpg

Each has a small leaver, look pic on post on top, it has a small clip to hold it in place, press in and pull down leaver.

The tape you see holding over the connector , can´t remember how to, but the connector you see is just a housing for the wires connector and it just slides off.

See the pics on top.

Edited by alberg

if u could provide some pics alberg, that would b awesome.

do i need to have the battery disconnected when i remove the white connector (CECM) module?

i'd rather not disconnect the battery unless i really have to.

if u could provide some pics alberg, that would b awesome.

do i need to have the battery disconnected when i remove the white connector (CECM) module?

i'd rather not disconnect the battery unless i really have to.

No need to disconnect the battery.

Look at the file for some clues on how to. No need to take off side pieces of center console.

You only need to take out ashtray (pull out leather casing on shifter, rim around shifter and you have the screws) Pics later

Alex1980 - the only difference between the fl & pre-fl version will b the CECM connector. if u look back the previous posts in this thread, u'll c various pics & links.

the rest of it should b the same - in terms of routing.

i haven't done mine yet. i'm undecided on which way to go - plan a (centre console) or plan b (door sill).

plan a has too many components to remove. plan b is far less, but more tricky/bitch to do.

plan a

skoda workshop manual - removing centre console

plan b

skoda workshop manual - [http://skoda.workshop-manuals.com/octavia-mk2/index.php?id=572]removing bottom trim panel of pillar B[/url]

skoda workshop manual - [http://skoda.workshop-manuals.com/octavia-mk2/index.php?id=569]removing bottom trim panel of pillar A[/url]

Has anyone done this to a fl version? If so, is there an installation guide, with plenty of pictures, only is like to do this but not confident enough to go in blind!

Alex this is the write up I did on SWMBO's MY11 TT: (I only did the front footwell lights on the TT, but the principle is exactly the same for doing the rear, just follow the guides above for routing the cables)

From MY10 onwards the CECM connections are different, they now look like:

spacer.gifimg11752.jpg

I followed this thread (for a Passat)

http://www.vwaudifor... ... -CC-MY2011

The pin you are looking to use for the positive feed for the lights is pin 50 in the centre (white) plug.

By doing it this way they will work as if they were fitted at the factory - so you have the option of them on whilst you are driving with the lights on, the brightness can also be dimmed through the DIS.

I used slightly different lights (still OE VAG) than what would of been fitted at the factory - because I had them, the only difference is the corners are slightly squarer and they use a different plug.

I used:

6L0 947 415 - Lights x2

1J0 971 972 Flat connector x2 (these fit into the lights)

000 979 131E Wire set x3

Cut the one wire set in half for the passenger side light (as the wire set's have the terminal on both ends) and lengthen the wires so it reaches the CECM.

The drivers side positive wire is long enough to run from the light to pin 50 on the CECM, cut the end off the negative wire and put a round terminal on bolted to the chassis.

I then simply put some eBay LED's into the lights, something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.u... ... 43ae93c01a

Mine are actually CANBUS LED's, because again I had them.

If you decide to use the TT boot lights instead of the above ones then you will need:

4B0 947 415A Lights x2 (same as the one in the boot / glovebox)

893 971 632 Connector x2 (these are a more square connector)

000 979 133E Wire set x2 (these have larger terminals than the ones I used)

000 979 131E Wire set x1 (the larger 000 979 133 wire sets terminal is too large for the CECM, so you still need one of these)

A very basic wiring diagram:

spacer.gifFootwelllightswiringdiagram.png

HTH

i got myself a set of footwell (front & rear) lighting from bold-sports.

it comes with 4x footwell lights, pre-wired, ready to install.

footwell_light-640x480.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

wiring looks like this.

footwellwiring.jpg

i had a partial go today, in an attempt to figure out how to route the wiring. as it turns out, unlike the rears (under the seat), there are no cutouts for the front footwells. it needs to b marked out & cut. i just did the one under the passengers side as its easy to cut the foam out.

as u can c from the image below, the 1st hole i cutout was not good as the positioning on the inside was touching some wires. i didn't want to take any chances with footwell getting hot and melting the wires touching it. so i cut a new hole - a tad few inches back.

footwelllight-passenger-01.jpg

footwelllight-passenger-02.jpg

• Like 1

Doing a great job so far. The underlay on divers side is a bit trickier but all you need is to be pacient.

06092012259.jpg

As for the lighter you need to access these 2 bolts in order to take it out.

02092012256.jpg

02092012257.jpg

yup, the driver's side cover is hard plastic. so i'll cut into the clothy foam thingy like u have.

with the centre console, i can remove the astray no probs. i saw the velcro thingy holding the inside of the side carpet cover. but despite removing the screws up front, i couldn't get it out. i did the "forward" motion (towards the engine), but it refused to budge!

the more i think about it now, it will b much more difficult to go via the centre console. so i'm going to pursue via the door sills - plan b.

does anyone know which direction to "pull", with regards to the instructions below?

pull = upwards direction, towards the roof?

or

pull = inwards direction, towards the centre console?

RemovingandinstallingbottomtrimpanelofpillarA.jpg

unfortunately i've been sick all last week & through the weekend, so i didn't get a chance to have a good crack at it.

what i did manage to do was install & wire up the footwells on the drivers side - front driver & rear driver side.

i haven't hooked up the wiring on the passenger side. i do have the footwell lights in the spot, just not wired up.

i'm not happy with the way the drivers footwell lighting is sitting. because i cutout the soft foam, its actually bending, causing the footwell light to sit on an angle.

next time i open it up, i'll c if i can cutout the hard plastic & fit it there.

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

after removing the bonnet lever, i was able to pry open, not remove, the door sill plastic. this enabled me to run the wire down behind the bonnet lever, under the door sill carpet, to the opening flap under the drivers seat. from there i routed the wire under the seat to the footwell location.

Octy_II_Bluetooth_010_800x600.jpg

Octy_II_Bluetooth_024_800x1067.jpg

installing the power source to pin #50 was much easier than i thought. literally, unplug the white CECM connector & plug the power wire in. it clicks in place nicely. cable tie it with the rest of the wires, and plug the CECM connector back in. the negative wire i grounded to a metal screw holding the dashboard frame.

i got the vcds cable tonight, and did the coding as per the instructions.

central electronics -> long coding -> Byte-12: Tick Bite-5

central electronics -> long coding -> Byte-20: Tick Bite-0

saved the settings and bingo.....let there b light!!

woOot.

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

i'll eventually need to wire up the passenger side. i had difficult sending the wire across from the driver's side to the passenger side through the back of the centre console, or behind the radio.

removing those side carpet cover thingys r the sticky point for me now. they not budging despite my best efforts.

one day........

Looks fantastic! :rock: Thanks for the update!

I'll have a look for a way to remove the carpet cover on the side of the centre console...

So, you definately recommend cutting out the room for the lights out of hard plastic, not the foam?

Also, what exactely is the behaviour of the lights now? They also work when on the move, correct?