Laughable insurance renewal

Tesco Insurance have just informed me that they have changed their underwriters and will no longer insure cars within engine modifications (including remaps) although they will honour existing policy holders for their existing cars at renewal.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try Brentacre, I moved from Chris Knott to them a couple of years ago, for exactly the same policy with Highway they were half the price of Chris Knott, have been very pleased with their service and how they handle any mid term changes...ie no charges as I told them I was looking to change the car in the very near future so they agreed not to charge when the change came a month or so later.

I am with Aviva direct , I took off legal aid as I realised I had it already with skoda assist, so even thogh I have now got 6 points( speeding :S) only a £13 increase :thumbup:

Try esure wife is main driver(43) with myself as additional driver(39) 9yrs+ no claims standard car (2011 vrs petrol)

238 which i thought was very reasonable.

Try esure wife is main driver(43) with myself as additional driver(39) 9yrs+ no claims standard car (2011 vrs petrol)

238 which i thought was very reasonable.

Unfortunately esure is unable to provide a quote based on the information you have provided.

WHY!!!

:swear:

Unfortunately esure is unable to provide a quote based on the information you have provided.

WHY!!!

:swear:

Do you live in an area that is always on fire :)

Take a look at http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car-insurance-explained/car-insurance-postcode-risk-list.html

If you are in D, E or F a broker may find you a better deal than the comparison sites.

Do you live in an area that is always on fire :)

Take a look at http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car-insurance-explained/car-insurance-postcode-risk-list.html

If you are in D, E or F a broker may find you a better deal than the comparison sites.

Well I live in a C area....don't joke about fires.....We've had a car torched and a car had all its windows put through in the last year or 2!

I have my house insurance with Esure....I will call them up on Monday and find out why....I am betting it is because it has VRS in the title.

Edit - just looked at my parents which is a D....so how come my insurance went up £50 when i moved!? Something not right there with the risks i think.

Edited by jrw

See if you're able to join the CSMA (£15 per year) www.csmaclub.co.uk - you then get extra discount at Frizzells & LV - you also get extra discounts for having more than one product. I've ended up with my car, house & contents insurance with them & on the same cover,the total I save each year from what I used to pay before is about £350!!

Tony

Put through a quote with AXA that promise 90% discount. Came in at £1,230 - WTF? I'd hate to see the quote without the discount.

Did a similar thing with Direct Line who offer 75% discount - similar thing.

Now - either they are not applying discounts and saying they are - OR - they are applying discounts and their premiums are through the bloody roof.

Put through a quote with AXA that promise 90% discount. Came in at £1,230 - WTF? I'd hate to see the quote without the discount.

Did a similar thing with Direct Line who offer 75% discount - similar thing.

Now - either they are not applying discounts and saying they are - OR - they are applying discounts and their premiums are through the bloody roof.

I think there is an 'up to' in there somewhere.

10% = up to 75% :(

See if you're able to join the CSMA (£15 per year) www.csmaclub.co.uk - you then get extra discount at Frizzells & LV - you also get extra discounts for having more than one product. I've ended up with my car, house & contents insurance with them & on the same cover,the total I save each year from what I used to pay before is about £350!!

Tony

I'm a member of CSMA and through them I got a quote from LV. But it was more expensive through them than going to LV direct, so it seems they cream off some commission on the way.

Mac

Try working this out -- at renewal with Churchill last January, I asked for a quote to take Kim off the Octavia policy as she's only driven it 3 times in 3 years. Too big, apparently (the car that is).

To take her off the policy would have INCREASED the premium by over £100. So Churchill put her back on the system, and came back with a new figure £65 LESS than previously quoted! Just for taking her off, and then putting her back on again!

Tried this with her Leon -- same thing -- reduced the original quote by £58!

There really doesn't seem any pattern as to what determines the cost of insurance.

As I previously said, now insured with Chris Knott, and found them exceptionally helpful and accomodating. I did get a quote when I was thinking of having the Octavia remapped by Ben at Shark, but it was going to put an extra £150 on the premium, and also increase the excess from £100 to £350, hence the reason why it's staying standard.

Mike

Similar thing with me, my wife wanted to take me off her insurance as I now have 6 points( speeding :() but with me off they wanted £80 more then put me back on and it was only 14 in total more than last year :thumbup:

Postcode lottery is bull ****e too!

So 2mins away is two groups safer to have a car.

I didn't realise that WN2 is twinned with Kandahar

Same as everything else pushing up prices then recording mega profits cos everyone is getting shafted!

Should have gone into politics and just put it on the expenses!

£620 with sky, and that's with £350 excess.

Esure want a laughable £2200.

I only paid £450 last year with £200 excess.

Noted what has been said about esure, but I got a very low quote from them. But I am a lot older than you guys. Skoda insurance gave a quote only 10% more than esure. BOTH of these companies were able to quote for my projected remap at approx 20% extra.

If you have only tried online, try by phone also.

just renewed my insurance this morning.

went with axa.

male 25 years old and 5 years ncd with wife as named driver (27yr old)

renewal was £356 for the year. brilliant!

my insurer from previous 3 years wanted £900 renewal. that is laughable.

just renewed my insurance this morning.went with axa.male 25 years old and 5 years ncd with wife as named driver (27yr old)renewal was £356 for the year. brilliant!my insurer from previous 3 years wanted £900 renewal. that is laughable.

I'm 26, 7yrs NCB, Wife who is 27 named driver, no claims and with AXA ours is £326 FC, £200 excess.

I'm with AXA, for a remarkably similar price. Will be looking around come renewal time though as AXA have a blanket "NO" policy on engine/power mods.

+1 me too - seems to good to be true looking at what some peolpe around the country are suffering with.

I'm 26, 7yrs NCB, Wife who is 27 named driver, no claims and with AXA ours is £326 FC, £200 excess.

-1 :'(

Axa - £1,006.84

I don't get it! why is it so much for me! Was only £450 last year...

insurance doesnt make sense this last year, oh insurance went up from £120 odd to £474, 17 year no claims no accidents,claims or convictions, no change of address!!!! have you tried co op insurance(cis)?

Edited by jhe

For a modified policy, ring round the brokers. Year on year that's how I've got a decent deal. And I've never paid more than the year before either. You talk to a reasonable person, who you can hear and understand properly, and who knows the difference between an ARB and an FMIC ;)

With Chris Knott this year, was with Brentacre the two years before (first time I've ever been with the same insurer two years running, but only because they amended their original renewal quote!)

I also try Sky and A-Plan, as well as Adrian Flux. Sky don't insure the entirety of our postcode area though, which is daft - but is apparently an issue with their underwriter. So something to be aware of there. Greenlight also come to mind, but from memory aren't very 'vRS' friendly?

Can also think of Noel Dazely and HIC for others who are established in this area of the business.

Best of luck.