J5's Roomster Scout - **SOLD**

Jonny5ive

Hmmmmmm........... its not looking good. A quick try of the N/S fog light blank from my father-in-laws poverty spec Roomster and they don't fit :')

The additional surface mouldings on the Scout bumper mean that the locating lugs are longer and the actual plastic insert is shallower. :thumbdown: I'll photograph this when I get my blanks from the postie tomorrow.

I'll still be having a play as to whether I can get the 'non scout' round holders attached to the Scout bumper inserts with maybe some fibreglass moulding at the rear, we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Been waiting for a spare few hours to re-tint my fogs. I tinted them earlier in year with some cheap film from eBay, this faded badly (see below). Re done them today using real deal Lamin-X and the results are much better. A better 'continental yellow' that I wanted.

Original tint - too day-glo:

tintedfogsoff.jpg

Badly faded film :(

IMAG0185.jpg

Re-done with Lamin-x

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice retint... definitely looks original. Somehow I associate yellow lights with the French, might be a misconception though.

I hear you. I always remember the yellow headlights on French vehicles from holidays there as a kid.

Plasti-dipped the chrome on the grill this afternoon. No pics as It's cols and wet and dark, but it does look kinda mean now :bandit:

This time the outcome is way better than before. I'd like to see the dipped chrome grill too.

How about the round fogs? Have you abanoned the idea?

I'll have some pics of the grill later today. Fogs, no, not abandoned just a work in progress. Re-fitred the square ones whilst I sort out the rounds :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I plastidipped the chrome grill. B) In the process I got bored, cold and decided to rush the job by drying each coat with a hairdryer.

It looked good, and then promptly peeled off on a particularly wet drive down the M40 :(

I'll wait for warmer weather or do it inside I think 'cos it did look fookin mean :thumbup:

To console myself I went to the local VW breakers and bought some 2nd hand damped grab handles for £20. Pics to follow.

****!! They don't fit :(

Exactly the same part aside from the locating lugs for positioning into the headlining. I'll be modifying them slightly to fit as I don't believe the lugs serve any weight bearing purpose, purely for ensuring they go in the right place.

HID's received in the post this week - Thanks Gizmo68 and a SEAT Sport Upper Strut Brace from the 6Y Fabia that I picked up lastnight, 99% sure that'll fit with some small modification to the mounting bracket for the vacuum control box :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice work Barrie, still my favourite roomster.

Yellow fogs eh? ;)

I used some cheap lamin x copy stuff on mine this time,

enough to do them about 10 times for about a fiver on fleabay.

Can't see any difference in the colour from the 'proper' stuff

time will tell if they will fade or not.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so with Xmas and all that out of the way and a morning to myself sans wife and kids I decided to set about modifying the VW damped grab handles to fit (see post #113). A nice little mod and pleased with the results.

To highlight the problem:-

Untitled_zpsb6ebff74.jpg

Although the parts are identical the VW mounting lugs are in a completely different place to the Skoda ones :mad:

Deciding that these have no weight bearing duties I promptly chopped them off with a scalpel, sanded smooth and screwed them into exsisting holes in the Roomy

IMAG0292_zps640a6ce7.jpg

VIDEO - BEFORE:- springy, noisy Skoda handles :thumbdwn:

th_VIDEO0014_zps0a370393.jpg

VIDEO - AFTER:- smooth, quiet VW handles :thumbup:B)

th_VIDEO0015_1_zps1e548ddf.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Picked up a very lightly used Parrot CK3100 for a smidgen under £50 from eBay complete with VAG loom included B)

Set about taking the car to bits to fit it:

Interior overhead courtesy light and sunglasses holder removed

IMAG0342_zps1e386a95.jpg

Parrot Mic fits nicely into the OEM microphone grille in overhead light unit

IMAG0343_zpsc6a58c36.jpg

IMAG0344_zps748added.jpg

Wiring for mic routed inside headlining and down A pillar (with the help of a wire coat hanger)

IMAG0345_zps45680d60.jpg

Routed through bulkhead and over the top of the fusebox towards centre console

IMAG0346_zpsddf1da83.jpg

Stereo and centre console out to accommodate additional wiring loom and Parrot BlueBox

IMAG0347_zps81a78bb5.jpg

Managed to find space to the L/H side of centre console for BlueBox which is quite sizeable.

bddab72f-64f6-42c9-9931-7e1293d60980_zps5257e043.jpg

Connected up supplied VAG loom. A bit of extension of the OEM loom for the aux in facility to work with the Parrot loom quadlock adapter and hey presto I have hands-free B)

Sited the LCD display just below the airvent at the R/H side of the steering wheel using a strip of trim tape and routed the wire in behind the heater vent and back to the centre console using the same route as for the mic cabling.

Alas forgot to take a pic of this :doh:

All functionality works well. Need to have a play with the siting of the mic, as although it is in an ideal location cosmetically sound quality for the recipient of my calls isn't great.

I may source another courtesy light console from a scrapper to have a play around with.

Nice work. I found the same mic issue when I had that kit in the Octy.

That mic design doesn't seem to like being inside the interior light. I found fixing it on the edge of the headlining worked well, just back from where the rear view mirror was. You couldn't really see it when sitting inside the car, and the call quality was much better.

Seemed pick up wind noise or vibration when inside the light unit. Definitely having the end of the mic exposed into the cabin would be the way to go, if you want to keep it located in the same place.

I've had a few Parrots and the microphone has always been next to the roof courtesy light in the Seats I've had. However I've just had one put in the new Roomster and it is inbeween the speedo and the rev counter, hanging upside down I suppose. It works brilliantly.

However I've just had one put in the new Roomster and it is inbeween the speedo and the rev counter, hanging upside down I suppose. It works brilliantly.

Interesting. Never thought of locating it there. IIRC its relatively easy to remove the clocks. I'll look into that option.

I was hoping I wouldn't have an obvious Mic (black against the sea of pale grey headlining) but the black dashpod would hide it somewhat :thumbup: