The LED Lights Thread...

Hi Seb, yours look less blue than mine but perhaps it's the angle you look at them and take the photo.

Anyway, looking at the DRL's issues on the Suberb 2 forum last night and they seem a bit farther down the road than us (excuse the pun)as they have been fitting Canbus Led's for some time. Some report that because Canbus led's have built in resistors they run very hot and have damaged lens of the light unit. The one's we have fitted are supposed to run cool but it might be worth checking how hot they get when they have been on for a while.

I ran my bulbs in my T5 Transporter van that has DRL's in the headlight unit as it was easier to check that they worked in the van as the bulb changing takes seconds without getting on the floor (old age). I only had them in for a week but did over a 1000 miles with them in with some journeys over 3 hrs long each direction and had no issues. However, the Transporter headlight unit is a lot bigger heat sink than the Fabia DRL/Fog unit so that test was not conclusive.

As I have mentioned in a previous post the Mtech Xenon bulbs I tried started to melt the bulb holder (also reported on the Superb forum)so this is the area to check first.

Just be aware on you first long trip! Pete

Hi Seb, yours look less blue than mine but perhaps it's the angle you look at them and take the photo.

Anyway, looking at the DRL's issues on the Suberb 2 forum last night and they seem a bit farther down the road than us (excuse the pun)as they have been fitting Canbus Led's for some time. Some report that because Canbus

led's have built in resistors they run very hot and have damaged lens of the light unit. The one's we have fitted are supposed to run cool but it might be worth checking how hot they get when they have been on for a while.

I ran my bulbs in my T5 Transporter van that has DRL's in the headlight unit as it was easier to check that they worked in the van as the bulb changing takes seconds without getting on the floor (old age). I only had them in for a week but did over a 1000 miles with them in with some journeys over 3 hrs long each direction and had no issues.

However, the Transporter headlight unit is a lot bigger heat sink than the Fabia DRL/Fog unit so that test was not conclusive.

As I have mentioned in a previous post the Mtech Xenon

bulbs I tried started to melt the bulb holder (also reported on the Superb forum)so this is the area to check first.

Just be aware on you first long trip! Pete

I will definatly keep an eye out for this, hardly go on long trips about a hour max, the H7 ultra feel very warm though hope this is not an issue, they are pretty blue ( DRLS ) but I likin it a lot , however as they don't stay on when you put the main light on, but on several other cars the DRLS stay on although dimmed in some marques, I am interested how ever in changing the side light bulb the blue one with a LEDs one any ideas

In regards to the heat issues...

I was wary about it in this install but dont appear to be any issues...

You will notice these arent any old led bulbs, they need extra resistors so that the on board computer canbus system will see some resistance and assume there is still a regular bulb there...

Now because of the resistors, this will cause extra heat, i bought a set with heat sinks on the resistors, just because we have a plastic housing!

I have left the sidelights on for about 3hours on the drive now, and no heat transfer issues, going to keep an eye on them for a little while longer and pop one out just to check.

Forget to add, after about 3.5hrs i removed one of the housings,

the heatsink was warm but i dont think these would get too hot to cause any damage to the housing.

Mine seems ok for now anyway, tried led in fog not bright enough so OEM back in

Had them for ages in my old fabia and they looked great! Shame it died and I cant find the other.. Oh well. Not as if a £1 is gonna bankrupt me

a08cd09a-5755-4030-96ab-ae89d00e9c2a.jpg

Had them for ages in my old fabia and they looked great! Shame it died and I cant find the other.. Oh well. Not as if a £1 is gonna bankrupt me

a08cd09a-5755-4030-96ab-ae89d00e9c2a.jpg

A garage with plenty of room innit :( wish mine was like that ! And I see you've got 2 reversing lights wish the new one did

Yeah I wonder why most new cars don't have the twin reverse lights? I liked the old fabia for that.

Enough to open the driver door and squeeze out! :rofl:

I want to extend it width wise but that would remove the little path we have to the back garden, so its a no go.

Hmmm i've had a heat issue with my interior light. After leaving the driver door open for 10mins, the centre festoon has been heat damaged, its turned purple.. :(

10 minutes ? What you doing close the door man was it the central festoon how many LEDs in it I've only 8 some have massive ones they will definatly get warm

10 minutes ? What you doing close the door man was it the central festoon how many LEDs in it I've only 8 some have massive ones they will definatly get warm

LOL...probably less than that really, didn't think heat would be an issue. I have the 8LED festoon from MarTTyn's link...need to source some quality LEDs and build my own :)

I've the same ones :( it will be the same ones I'll be putting in the plates

Naaah, surely the interior ones aren't canbus compatable??

Bad crack mate...

I tested the number plate leds for heat transfer, not the interiors.

Ill have to keep an eye on switching them off if the doors are going to be open a long time!? :doh::no:

Ah well they are cheap as chips, I've paid £15 for a single naked LED before now!! They aren't a pain to change out, so it's not a biggie..

Naaah, surely the interior ones aren't canbus compatable??

Aye they are canbus compatible ;)interiors

Ah well they are cheap as chips, I've paid £15 for a single naked LED before now!! They aren't a pain to change out,

so it's not a biggie..

I've ordered the same for the plates as interiors the ones with the grill on the back

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my green boot light after fitting nice LEDS to the interior and obviously did something wrong as blew a fuse which knocked out the side lines, interior lights etc (fuse number 23). Got a new fuse for 55 p and all good. However note sure if the LED in the boot was faulty when i installed it.

Put the old boot bulb back and all good.

Oh well, just the interiors for me then. Also still owe you guys pictures ! doh.

Finally got my green boot light after fitting nice LEDS to the interior and obviously did something wrong as blew a fuse which knocked out the side lines, interior lights etc (fuse number 23). Got a new fuse for 55 p and all good. However note sure if the LED in the boot was faulty when i installed it.

Put the old boot bulb back and all good.

Oh well, just the interiors for me then. Also still owe you guys pictures ! doh.

I blew the fuse 3 times with the rear interior so I've.ordered another set all therest are fine just waitingfor the sidelight LEDs now fatbloke sent me pics of his amazingdifference

Hi all,

can you point me to LED number plate lights (pref. where to buy - hopefully world wide!) that will work and not make my CANBUS system cry? I've tried one pair already and they made the warning light pop up. I'm driving a 2011 Octy, BTW.

Dome LED lights would be great too, the manual says C10W and I'm not 100 % sure if I'll get the right ones. I bet some of you already have this sorted, so I'll listen to you instead of trying my luck. ;)

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask if anyone else as had the alarm going off in the early hours since changing the interior lights?

Mine did this 3 nights in a row, when i turned them to the off setting it was fine.

Hi all,

can you point me to LED number plate lights (pref. where to buy - hopefully world wide!) that will work and not make my CANBUS system cry? I've tried one pair already and they made the warning light pop up. I'm driving a 2011 Octy, BTW

Dome LED lights would be great too, the manual says C10W and I'm not 100 % sure if I'll get the right ones. I bet some of you already have this sorted, so I'll listen to you instead of trying my luck. ;)

Thanks!

Most of mine have come of links here, look for HQ lighting on the web or eBay, interiors don't need error free standard LEDs will be fine and you'll save money. , the exteriors need error free ones again best place I think is. HQ lighting but error free ones are 3 times the price :(

Ladies & gentlemen ;) when removing the rear light interior please do it gently!, if you don't the metal plate in the roof ( its the plate that holds the light casing in place) will detach and proceed to go in-between the roof and ceiling and it's a bugger to retrieve, at the end retrieved they air was blue inside the furby ;) , but LEDs on in the back now !! What a nightmare