VRS Burning oil

James I

All this talk of bad engines really does get to you after a while. The more people go on about it the more I'm doubting my car and myself. My engine does use oil but not what I'd call excessive (4l in 10k). My biggest problem is not having a flat surface at home or work so I always have to find somewhere but I will be making more of an effort to check it at least fortnightly. I'll have to double check but I think I've done 3k since my service and it has used some oil. Not sure on exactly how much but I know it's less than a litre

All this talk of bad engines really does get to you after a while. The more people go on about it the more I'm doubting my car and myself. My engine does use oil but not what I'd call excessive (4l in 10k). My biggest problem is not having a flat surface at home or work so I always have to find somewhere but I will be making more of an effort to check it at least fortnightly. I'll have to double check but I think I've done 3k since my service and it has used some oil. Not sure on exactly how much but I know it's less than a litre

What I believe is happening is that with all these oil threads going, even people whose consumption should be considered normal, think are having a problem because their car uses some and they would like it didn't use a drop at all. But that is totally wrong for this car imho. Not saying you should expect to top it up every week, but for a car whose User Manual states that you should check your oil level regularly and that even 500ml every 1000 kms are considered normal then you shouldn't be blown away If you find it's used some after 1-2K. I am not talking about situations that go from max to min in 500 miles, these are ridiculous and need to be taken back for repair/replacement but these ones are quite rare as we've seen here. And don't forget, it only takes 2-3 of these cases to start endless discussions, it doesn't need to be a big percentage of the actual owners. In the end, one will most probably start to look for a forum when he has a problem, not the other way round, so naturally all problems are highlighted to a great extent.

• Like 1

^^ Exactly, go to a restaurant. If you had a bad meal and god forbid got food poisoning then whole town will hear about it. On the other hand, if your meal was really good you may mention it during a conversation with firends/family :).

• Like 1

Think you've hit the nail on the head. It's would be like an alien going to a hospital and wondering why so many humans are ill. Forums are where people come to when they have problems. Apart from a wobbly it threw last week the car has been fine. As I've said before I think my consumption is fine and talking to a friend who works for Audi he thinks it's more than acceptable

I'm constantly reading these forums everyday whilst eagerly awaiting my new vRS as i'm sure many people are too.. and reading into the oil topics really doesn't always make you feel so excited..

But as you've said it only comes to fruition when people are having or feeling they have problems because they've seen or read about it.

dont stress dexter, mine is now up to 38,000 ,miles and doesn't use a drop.... just been on the prague trip, 3,200 miles accross europe, autobahns, an airfield, the nurburgring on the way back... never had any misfires, never had any gearbox problems, doesn't use a drop of oil.

there are good ones out there, but we wont be posting too often in oil usage threads if our cars dont use oil ;)

mine has been back to the dealer, but for a new track rod end, as it was making a very slight noise :)

dont stress dexter, mine is now up to 38,000 ,miles and doesn't use a drop.... just been on the prague trip, 3,200 miles accross europe, autobahns, an airfield, the nurburgring on the way back... never had any misfires, never had any gearbox problems, doesn't use a drop of oil.

there are good ones out there, but we wont be posting too often in oil usage threads if our cars dont use oil ;)

mine has been back to the dealer, but for a new track rod end, as it was making a very slight noise :)

That is what Ze Ring does to the cars ;)

• Like 1

How do you drive it? Do you give it beans at least few times during any one drive or going really easy at all times to get mpgs?

It gets driven to the conditions... Varying from hard to mpg driving on the motorway...

Ask Dave, he'll tell you :)

I'm constantly reading these forums everyday whilst eagerly awaiting my new vRS as i'm sure many people are too.. and reading into the oil topics really doesn't always make you feel so excited..

But as you've said it only comes to fruition when people are having or feeling they have problems because they've seen or read about it.

Dont get me wrong..i really like my vRS...and dont want to change it....and would buy another Skoda..i like them.

However...i do think the 10 litres + of oil i have put in plus what the Dealer put in for the consumption test..in 8000 miles is excessive,

not normal and i expect it to be fixed.

Why is there a supposed fix for this ? Why am i being told i may need a new engine ?

What about all this oil going through the cat...?

Why is 500ml perl1000km classed as normal....none of my other new cars have had this

Its 2012..surely engine tech is such that we don't need to burn oil.?

Newbie69... i think there may be more than a few of us...Seat forums...VW Forums ?

also not everyone will find a forum

G

grumble51,

? Have you from new had to put in 1 litre or more of oil every 1200 miles for 8000 miles

&

now the Skoda Dealership in effect did a 'Consumption test & first annual oil change',

then did the Breather Pipe and it is using as much oil?

(did the oil usage you had to add not reduce any after 3000 miles or so?)

How many miles have you done since the Oil Consumption test & the Breather change?

george

The wife's Fabia MKII Vrs is a 60 plate, ( Jan 2011 ) it has covered approx 6K miles and apart from an oil change no other oil has been added.

We must have a good one.

Can you say how the car was/is driven?Just wondering about the theory that it has to be driven quite hard from the off to bed in the piston rings properly and avoid excessive oil consumption.

Sorry to appear sexist,but you saying that it's your wife's car might suggest that it probably was/is never driven hard...if so that would tend to kill the "thrash it or it will use oil" theory.

Why is 500ml perl1000km classed as normal....none of my other new cars have had this

But seriously, this is totally irrelevant since your other cars had most probably nothing in common with this twin charged engine.

If you came from a Mazda RX-8 though, I'd bet you would be posting about how nice it is to have a car that consumes just 500ml every 1000 kms! That's what a colleague with an RX-8 replied when I told him what my consumption was anyway.... All I mean, is that you should know you are expected to have some consumption before you buy, it's stated in the Manual and it's all out there on the internet. Unless you bought an early 2010 model, you should have well been aware of this I guess before deciding to for any 1.4 TSI.

And yes it does sound a bit more than expected so you've done well to have it checked. But it's not the case for most of us. Most people have below 500ml/1000km although they still complain because their previous cars didn't consume a drop.

All I mean, is that you should know you are expected to have some consumption before you buy, it's stated in the Manual and it's all out there on the internet. Unless you bought an early 2010 model, you should have well been aware of this I guess before deciding to for any 1.4 TSI.

thats wrong, why should anyone who buys a modern car expect it to use some oil, i had my old car for 7.5 years and it never used a drop between services, a Slowda too. as for the manual, how many people read the manual before they buy a car or even check the internet for faults, you look at a car, become smitten and buy, simplez. modern cars with all the money thrown at them shouldnt have faults of yesteryear cars otherwise wheres the improvements in design etc

and as for a woman not driving a car very hard, man i was on a dual carr the other day, possibly a little faster than im allowed, when this bloody nutter came flying past and guess what............. a woman driver so not all woman drive like miss daisy, up north its fair to say their bloody nutters. i think in future we should buy cars off the mechanics who can tell us what to do and not what to do coz my salesman said drive it like a fanny for the first 1000 miles, i didnt but thats what they say when your buying

Edited by the mad monk

But seriously, this is totally irrelevant since your other cars had most probably nothing in common with this twin charged engine.

If you came from a Mazda RX-8 though, I'd bet you would be posting about how nice it is to have a car that consumes just 500ml every 1000 kms! That's what a colleague with an RX-8 replied when I told him what my consumption was anyway.... All I mean, is that you should know you are expected to have some consumption before you buy, it's stated in the Manual and it's all out there on the internet. Unless you bought an early 2010 model, you should have well been aware of this I guess before deciding to for any 1.4 TSI.

And yes it does sound a bit more than expected so you've done well to have it checked. But it's not the case for most of us. Most people have below 500ml/1000km although they still complain because their previous cars didn't consume a drop.

You can't compare a rotary engine to a piston one...end of argument.

My Octy vRs TFSI has always consumed oil at 2000/2500 miles per litre.I don't have a problem with this,although,as stated,it was a surprise because most modern engines have negligible oil usage.

Just because Skoda put something in the manual to cover their arses about high oil usage doesn't make it right.

Also,if it is how this engine should function,it doesn't say much for Skoda's "green" credentials.

you look at a car, become smitten and buy, simplez. modern cars with all the money thrown at them shouldnt have faults of yesteryear cars otherwise wheres the improvements in design etc

What???

Totally wrong there imho. Doing a thorough research before in advance is exactly what I would expect from anyone that is serious about buying a car today and not 20 years ago. With just 1 day's internet search you could easily be aware of all the usual problems every model out there is prone to.

If you're buying a car as If you bought a fridge then very bad for you I'd say. You may end up lucky or not, but I personally like to play lottery with 10 euros not with 20.000. Even for a stupid TV of 600 Euros a little internet research beforehand is necessary.

No matter If it is modern cars, up to certain point, they are still very much made like they were 20 years ago, they need fuel, oil, services and maintenance and most of them they are still expected to run without crazy costs for 200-300K klms (if not less than the old ones!!) so not much difference in that.

and as for a woman not driving a car very hard, man i was on a dual carr the other day, possibly a little faster than im allowed, when this bloody nutter came flying past and guess what............. a woman driver so not all woman drive like miss daisy, up north its fair to say their bloody nutters. i think in future we should buy cars off the mechanics who can tell us what to do and not what to do coz my salesman said drive it like a fanny for the first 1000 miles, i didnt but thats what they say when your buying

Let's see if Auric Goldfinger replies to my question,until he does that we don't know how his car was driven.

Personally I think anyone SHOULD be able to drive normally for the first 1000/2000 miles and it should make no difference to the engine,whether "normally" means fast or slow.

• Like 1

Quite correct...

And just because the engine is twin charged doesn't mean squat...its a 4 cylinder petrol engine at the end of the day, that has been badly designed. Why do i say that well the manual states 600ml per 1000km is within tolerances why?

If this engine has been designed to drink oil, why doesn't EVERY vRS suffer oil usage?? Dont say its the way its been driven, as the manual clearly states it WILL use oil?!?

There are only 1658 vRS registered in the UK...I bet there are a high percentage of these with oil issues outside of the design spec...my local dealer has fixed 5 so far..

Would I choose this engine type again....no chance...

Would I buy a used TSI....LOL as above!!

Oh really? How come? Why is one allowed to drink oil and nobody complains while the other is expected to deliver crazy performance from a 1.4 engine and still not drink a drop? If anything, the 1.4 tsi is a far more "pushed" engine so I can't say some oil consumption is unjustified.

You know what I think? I think it's the fact that Mazda has a history with sport cars and powerful engines so it is allowed to have models to drink as much as they want as long as they live up to that "sport car" legend.

The humble Skoda on the other side, was always seen as the nice, quite and economical brand so people tend to think that all Skoda's should be like that and have no maintenance requirements as such (oil) while at they same time they must deliver a performance other cars are still only dreaming of. I hope they sort that one out for their own good, so that they can decide what car they want finally. You can't have the best of both worlds anywhere.

Also,if it is how this engine should function,it doesn't say much for Skoda's "green" credentials.

There are no green credentials to be justified on a sports version such as the vRS or any 1.4 TSI in general. Again, you must decide If you want a green car or a pocket rocket. Skoda never claimed the vRS's main advantage is it's ecological behaviour.

No matter If it is modern cars, up to certain point, they are still very much made like they were 20 years ago, they need fuel, oil, services and maintenance and most of them they are still expected to run without crazy costs for 200-300K klms (if not less than the old ones!!) so not much difference in that.

Hmmm oil and petrol advances alone in the last 20 years have made a MASSIVE difference to engine and maintenance....when was the last time u needed to de-coke an engine?? Manufacturing technology has meant that engines are built to higher tolerances etc emission legislation has forced manufactures to make advances within the last ten years nevermind 20!!!

Quite correct...

And just because the engine is twin charged doesn't mean squat...its a 4 cylinder petrol engine at the end of the day, that has been badly designed. Why do i say that well the manual states 600ml per 1000km is within tolerances why?

If this engine has been designed to drink oil, why doesn't EVERY vRS suffer oil usage?? Dont say its the way its been driven, as the manual clearly states it WILL use oil?!?

There are only 1658 vRS registered in the UK...I bet there are a high percentage of these with oil issues outside of the design spec...my local dealer has fixed 5 so far..

Would I choose this engine type again....no chance...

Would I buy a used TSI....LOL as above!!

Fair enough. However, I had done my searches and had no illusions when I signed the papers. Didn't believe the claimed 45 mpg, was super-aware that I may have to top up oil, up to 500ml in 1000kms etc. etc. I had said, that that consumption would be ok for me. If I had more I would take it in. It happened that I have not even half of it (200ml/1000km) so it's been perfect for me. However some people wouldn't even accept that. I mean no offense but If one complains for less than 500ml, I tell them you should have looked better, the info was all out there. End of story for me. Whoever wants to moan will moan, I am not defending Skoda or VAG, I just can't stand people buying things when they are not prepared to live with their faults, especially If they can know about them before they buy them. This applies from cars, to computers, electrical devices etc. etc. All products out there can be searched up in matters of seconds actually, so I just can't accept the "why should I know" excuse.

Because they are DIFFERENT types of engine...Why not compare oil usage to a two stroke engine whilst were at it!!

Yes they are different but if both manufacturers say that "from our design you should expect oil consumption" then that settles it don't you get it?

Discussing IF a 4-cylinder unit like the TSI should have consumed oil at all or not is a debate for engine designers in the first place but it's totally irrelevant to me as a customer as long as I'm fully aware of it before I buy and I can say I was. Even my dealer warned me that they do use some oil.

If your concerns are as generic as "why should modern engines drink oil" I will stay out of it, this is not my concern.

What I'm getting at Newbie is that there is a massive variation on vRS oil usage. Within THIS forum alone some engines not even requiring a drop of oil between services and others that have to tow an oil tanker. This isn't down to the way people drive their cars...I have a very short journey to work, but extend the journey every other day to blast it out yet mine uses more than the 600ml/1000km norm :(

What I'm getting at Newbie is that there is a massive variation on vRS oil usage. Within THIS forum alone some engines not even requiring a drop of oil between services and others that have to tow an oil tanker. This isn't down to the way people drive their cars...I have a very short journey to work, but extend the journey every other day to blast it out yet mine uses more than the 600ml/1000km norm :(

Can't agree more. To me, this variation does not allow it yet to be either characterised as a desing flawed unit or "conditions flawed" unit (If I can use such a term). I mean go to one of the people here that don't use a drop and tell them your engine is bad. They'll have a laugh at you. Given their response now go to some other owners (koppo was one of them iirc) and tell them your engine is great right? They will want to punch you in the face I guess. The second cases however, by various topics, polls etc. I've concluded that are significantly less than the first ones. Now there are some other cases inbetween, and these are the majority, that while not exactly buying a 5L Castrol Edge bottle every month, do have to top up by a little every now and then. Between them, some will say it's ok, it's expected etc. etc. while others will say "it's incredible that a modern engine uses oil!"

Apparently it's not a straightforward situation that you can easily have a clear opinion about. Add to that VAG's silence on the subject and you have the reasons for all these threads keeping going and hearing litterally anything that everybody thinks about it. I mean why don't they tell us, is it a recognised fault? Is it certain batches that suffer from it? Is it driving conditions or/and running in? Do they have solid figures on the cars that have been back to dealers with oil consumptions and how many of them did actualy suffer? Not seeing the end of the line yet...

• Like 2