Continental Driving-Headlight Adjustment

Have been in contact with Skoda UK regarding headlight adjustment for continental driving. Am advised that if you have Maxidot (I dont) you can set them from the steering wheel.

If not there is a switch behind the headlights. I was advised to go to local dealer to get it switched but there will certainly a cost and I need it set as we get into France and not before.

Does anyone know where this switch is?

Alternative is using beam benders which I have never found that good.

I asked exactly the same question 6 weeks ago.

Someone posted a very useful informative reply complete with photographs.

The complete headlight unit "unclips" & slides out forward, then simply pop the rubber cover off and slide a doncy wee galvanised "thinngy" round a bit

And Voila

Job done.

Absolutly no need to go near a dealer.

No tools required either, If I remember correctly

cheers

Marcus

:thumbup: Dead easy on the FL, on mine (FL Scout) on the inner side of the headlight you will find a hook, pull the hook towards the centre of the car and it will release the headlight pull the headlight forward and unclip the electrical plug (tricky),remove the complete headlight and at the back you will find a large rubber cover behind that is the headlamp bulb,if you look at the outer edges of the reflector you will find a small tab stuck out at either side which is the beam adjustment,just take a screwdriver and slide one of the tabs (they move about 3/8 inch) and jobs a good un, when you return dont forget to alter them back,there is a guide on here somewhere, cheers - Stuart

I did some pics for FL model. For the Pre FL model someone did one on http://octavia-vrs.c...ight-conversion

Below I have tried to quote my old post either seem easy I know FL was.

Skaut thanks you were spot on FL VRS is the same or very similar

************I will point out now this is for pikey style normal lights like mine not Xenon ones they can do this via MaxiDot gurrrrr*************

This is what I did.

Undo nylon securing nut on back of light cluster under bonnet.

img20110609172029.jpg

Push small black square tab and pull hook on side of light cluster to unlock and release unit forward.

IMG_20110609_172058.jpg

(Light cluster released)

img20110609172155.jpg

Remove main larger rubber cap. (can be all done without unplugging as I did with first one only removed to counter for pic!)

img20110609172315.jpg

img20110609172338.jpg

Now the 2 metal levers are visible they appear to be on a bezel and moving one also moves the other simply move to opposite position.

img20110609172527.jpg

img20110609172358.jpg

Reassemble in reverse order and job done. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Final result.

IMG_20110609_230351.jpg

• Like 1

I did some pics for FL model. For the Pre FL model someone did one on http://octavia-vrs.com/cms/content/eu-headlight-conversion

Below I have tried to quote my old post either seem easy I know FL was.

My thanks to all respondents. Mine is a FL and I've had the headlights out before so I will give it a go. Knew someone out there would have the answer!

• 9 months later...

Excelent guide. Just done mine in readiness for a trip to France next week. Could have done it on the ferry(only took about 5 mins). Only thing to add was that the hooks required mole grips to pull on mine and the metal tab you push down isn't very positive it's quite floppy.

• 5 months later...

Interesting stuff - I live on the continent and posted something recently about what I have to do to adjust my headlamp beams when I get to the UK this summer. I assume it's just a reversal of the same operation, regarding those clips. I have a new Octavia from Oct last year without Maxidot.

References above to being able to alter zenons from steering wheel if you have Maxidot.

I have a 2008 pre-FL Scout, and Maxidot, but can't see any option for headlamp alignment anywhere in the menus.

Can anyone give me any clues as to where the option is - handbook says it needs to go to a dealer for adjustment. Alternatively I need to find someone in the York area with vcds :happy:

References above to being able to alter zenons from steering wheel if you have Maxidot.

I have a 2008 pre-FL Scout, and Maxidot, but can't see any option for headlamp alignment anywhere in the menus.

Can anyone give me any clues as to where the option is - handbook says it needs to go to a dealer for adjustment. Alternatively I need to find someone in the York area with vcds :happy:

**Not too sure for pre-FL; however on the FL its in the 'lights & vision' menu, then select 'travel mode'.**

Edited by Black_Sheep

Not available through maxi dot on prefl I'm afraid

If it can't be done via the maxidot on the pre-FL, does anyone know how they're adjusted?

Is it an electronic adjustment, or on a bezel ring like the halogen units? Checked out the pre-FL guide linked to by Fubar, but I've had a headlamp unit out before and you need a torx driver to remove the plastic cover (not clips) and once in I didn't even contemplate messing with the zenon unit...

And if it creates a flat beam, is it both headlamp units that need adjusting or just the (UK) nearside ones?

To adjust the beam to flat on a pre face lift with xenons, it's the same as the guide posted by Fubar, except as you've pointed out you need to undo the torx screws. I think the torx screws are there to make the ballasts more secure.

The adjustment is mechanical and on a bezel ring as per the halogen units and you need to do it with both headlamps.

Once you've done it a couple of times and know where the adjustment lever is in the housing, it really is a 2 minute job and I suspect could be done at night by feel alone (assuming you're taking the headlight unit out, but not disconnecting the wiring loom).

The stickers make me smile, the number of times I've seen them applied in a botched fashion while driving in France, it makes me wonder if they're even close to doing the job for which they're intended. I suspect accuracy takes a dive too at the road side, at night and/or in a hurry. Actually, the last time I fitted some was to a Mondeo and the adhesive simply refused to conform the compound curve of the headlight lens.

When bike helmets first became compulsory in UK, polycarbonate helmets were the lid of choice for many. Soon dire warnings were being issued about contact with glues and solvents seriously degrading the polycarbonate. Is that likely to be an issue with stick on beam deflectors?

Not that I would use them.

To adjust the beam to flat on a pre face lift with xenons, it's the same as the guide posted by Fubar, except as you've pointed out you need to undo the torx screws. I think the torx screws are there to make the ballasts more secure.

The adjustment is mechanical and on a bezel ring as per the halogen units and you need to do it with both headlamps.

Thanks Bogwoppit for that very concise but useful info, but I've just got a couple of other queries:

1) Both the Owners Manual and Haynes Workshop Manual give dire warnings about the risk of high voltage electrocution from the xenon units. I've poked about in a unit before when I was thinking of fitting LED sidelight bulbs, and with a pair of pliers too, but now I'm not so confident. I always assumed that the torx screws were there to deter people from taking the cover off and fiddling about around the xenon gubbins. Any comments on precautions - Haynes says disconnect the battery, but I guess that that then means that loads of things have to be re-set after a break in power?

2) If it's like the guide that Fubar posted, then it sounds like the pre-FL xenons have bezels rather than the fiddly sounding levers referred to in the link in post #5?

3) If the adjustment produces a flat beam with no bias at all, then theoretically it could be done in the UK at a time to suit yourself, as opposed to fiddling about on the ferry or during the tunnel crossing? There'll be a bit of a loss of pattern on UK roads, but you wouldn't be dazzling anyone because you haven't lifted the (UK) drivers side pattern.

Many thanks.

• 2 months later...

Im also interested in what Polangelo asked is it a case of reversal for eu lights to uk im considering buying a set of aftermarket eu headlights theres a pre fl octavia near me with eu lights the devil eyes ones and he said it was a case of turning the bezel and it was legal passed all mots since.

• 1 year later...

I have a pre-facelift Octavia II and need to flatten the beam when I go to France a bit later this year. Unfortunately, the link in post #5 is dead (expired domain). Anybody know of anywhere else I can find a guide? Alternatively, can this be done on a pre-facelift car through VCDS?

It's quite easy really.

I have to do mine when I go abroad, the problem is remembering how it's done from last year!

Once the metal lever is located (where the lamp fits), click, job done.

Just remember also to clean and lightly grease the headlamp release sliding mechanism.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne, thanks for your response (have now edited notification settings to get an email). I pulled the light units out once to see if I could do this but wasn't sure what to do. Do you know if there's a picture of the lever somewhere?