Show us your winter wheels

Put mine on this evening, but need a good clean at the weekend after spending a few months in the shed though :'(

but the new Mk3 Caddy caps fit no bother over the bolts

IMAG0588.jpg

I figured I should post a picture of mine in the real thread as people are more likely to find the pic useful than in the center cap thread I made. :)

I went with a used set from an Audi A4 and got 205/55R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 tyres (with the square studs) on seven-spoke 16" Audi Abitos (ET42).

sommarvsvinter.jpg

Finally got the winters on the Octavia yesterday (have had them on my BMW since the 6th of November!)

Excuse the crap iPhone pic, I did take some with the proper camera but haven't had a chance to download them yet. Will hopefully do it soon.

winterwheels001.jpg

Wheels are the familiar Audi A3 design but these ones are actually specific winter ones so are only 6in wide.

Full spec is 6Jx17 ET48.

They've also got Dunlop winter Sport M3s fited in 205/50/17.

Seems to drive ok, a slight increase in road noise perhaps but otherwise spot on.

Finally got the winters on the Octavia yesterday (have had them on my BMW since the 6th of November!)

Excuse the crap iPhone pic, I did take some with the proper camera but haven't had a chance to download them yet. Will hopefully do it soon.

winterwheels001.jpg

Wheels are the familiar Audi A3 design but these ones are actually specific winter ones so are only 6in wide.

Full spec is 6Jx17 ET48.

They've also got Dunlop winter Sport M3s fited in 205/50/17.

Seems to drive ok, a slight increase in road noise perhaps but otherwise spot on.

Thanks for that, I've been thinking about that style of wheel for next year and always wondered what they looked like on an Octavia :thumbup:

Got fed up with waiting for winter so put mine on today. They are Audi A6 16" alloys which after selling on the nearly new summer tyres which came on them after I bought them off eBay only cost me 30 quid! :thumbup:

Don't think they look half bad on either...

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx92/vrsbob/winter4.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx92/vrsbob/winter3.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx92/vrsbob/winter2.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx92/vrsbob/winter1.jpg

Did the deed on 1st Dec. You alloy aficionados out there won't appreciate these I'll bet...

041220112526c.jpg

6.0Jx15" 'Avantgarda' steel wheels

Avantgarda hub covers for 6.0Jx15" wheel

Nokian WR G2 XL, 205/60 R15 95 H

Would seem Old Man Winter decided to finally put in an appearance today.

I thought I'd posted in here already, but sadly not. My Octavia vRS with 16" steel wheels, Nokian WR-G2 tyres and Skoda trims. Looks crap but works wonderfully. :)

Oddly got almost 10% better fuel economy last winter with these fitted over the normal 18" alloys and summer tyres.

Refitted them again yesterday, just in time too as we've now got 2 inches of snow outside.

1682.jpg

Edited by Dawson

Oddly got almost 10% better fuel economy last winter with these fitted over the normal 18" alloys and summer tyres.

Not odd. The winter wheels are smaller in diameter so they spin faster at any given speed totally messing your Maxidot readings in winter.

Thanks for that, I've been thinking about that style of wheel for next year and always wondered what they looked like on an Octavia :thumbup:

And your opinion is........ :rofl:

I'm not totally sold on them but they look much better than steels with trims so they'll do for five months or so.

Not odd. The winter wheels are smaller in diameter so they spin faster at any given speed totally messing your Maxidot readings in winter.

Not so.... unless you've messed up with your tyre size choice. Tyre sizes should be calculated so that the rolling radius is the saem even if you go down an inch or two in diameter, thus your speedo, maxidot etc will not be affected.

They will however be narrower so potentially have less rolling resistance and drag so this could be where the fuel saving is coming from. Also the fact that one tends to drive a bit more sedately in the winter might help explain it.

No it isn't

On the VRS going from 225 40 18 to 205 55 16 is a -0.78% difference which means at 70mph your speedo would be reading 69.42mph.

No it isn't

On the VRS going from 225 40 18 to 205 55 16 is a -0.78% difference which means at 70mph your speedo would be reading 69.42mph.

I grant you 0.78% is not enough to get 10% better fuel consumption. On the Yeti if you go for the 225/50 tyres they are 3,8% smaller! :o Hence I got rid of them and now run 215/60s this year which are the closest to my original 225/17s at only 1,2% bigger. :giggle:

Maybe the winter are like low rolling resistence tyres? But also remember the air is colder so that changes how the engines breathes as well.

Yes, I'm using 205/55/16 so difference should me minimal. Fuel economy increase was typically 5-10% more. Part of that could easily be down to a more sedate driving style.

They look terrible, but ~£500 for a set of steels, tyres & trims is a cheap way to keep moving safely when the snow hits. Best part is not having to pay someone to switch tyres over twice a year.

If I'd planned better I'd have found a cheap set of VAG 16" alloys, but I left it far too late last year.

Losing 2cm off the width must help reduce the rolling resistance and help economy.

Regarding the same rolling circumference, Skoda's recommended fitment for the Scout is from 225/50R17 down to 205/55R16 (seems to standard for all Octavias!!!) - which leaves me nearly 4% less rolling circumference!

Hence managed to find some Skoda literature which lists 205/60R16 as a fitment somewhere in the range, so have got those on standard Skoda steelies - gives me a near spot-on match.

Edited by Rotorhead500

Not if you do your homework. Different combinations of widths and profiles determine the rolling circumference.

My normal tyres are 205/55/16, and my winters are 195/65/15, which is equivalent to a difference of only 8mm over the rolling diameter of 1.98 metres of the 205s.

Mike

Fair enough but are they a TUV tested and approved tyre size for your car? If they are not and if they are not in your car's manual it gives your insurance company a very valid reason to refuse cover come an accident. See post #127 in this thread.

To find all the TUV approved tyres for your car look at the document The Plumber posted in this thread:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/218400-winter-tyre-headache/page__view__findpost__p__2569405

So you might find a wheel tyre combination that gives you the best rolling circumference, but it might just not be approved and/or uninsurable. So I'd rather go with a speedo that is slightly out than having no insurance.

Understood. Found this which offers a little comfort:

http://www.newcarnet.tv/comparison_Hyundai_i30.html?serialno=92547

Have also kept the minimum specified load rating in tact, also the OE offset, and a far closer match to OE diameter/rolling circumference, so handling, braking, suspension geometry, steering, component-loading should all be far closer to OE (summer) fitment than the preferred 205/55R16.

All irrelevant at the moment however, as the wheels are sitting in the garage whilst I'm waiting for insurance to sort out the tool the t-boned me the other week!!! :'(

Absolutely OK, they are 15 inch steel rims, and the standard size tyres as fitted to Octavia 2 Classic spec models from factory.

It's only the higher spec models that have the 16 inch and larger, and then the rolling diameter is compensated by the reduction in profile. Chriss Knott insurance have been informed of the change to winter wheels, and know that the tyre size is standard fitment on some Octavia models. The tyre pressure plate on the back of the fuel flap also mentions the exact tyre size that I am using for the winters.

If you look at page 103 from your link, you'll see that 195/65/15 is definately mentioned there for the Octavia 1Z

Mike

:thumbup: Perfect.

I posted that more as a guide to other people (visting this thread) thinking they can mix and match wheels and tyres at will, to get the best rolling circumference, rather than fitting from the prescribed range of approved tyre sizes. :rofl:

Can I have your thoughts on a set of these please (quality/fitment/cost/etc) ...

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/16_Inch_Ace_216_Alloy_Wheels_with_205_55_16_VR_Nankang_Snow_Viva_SV-2_Winter_Tyres__P10_3292

Thanks.

wheels/ tyres or both?

No experience of that make of wheel, but generally an OE spec wheel is more durable than cheaper aftermarket stuff hence why most go for OE second hand rather than new aftermarket, also steels are a good choice for winter as they are more likely to bend if you hit some thing like a kerb, and can be more easily bent back into shape where an alloy might be more likely to crack.

Evo did a winter tyre test recently - as with summer tyres, the cheaper brands are not as good, but in perspective, a cheap chinese winter tyre is still going to be better than any summer tyre, just not as good as the premium makes.

HTH.

wheels/ tyres or both?

No experience of that make of wheel, but generally an OE spec wheel is more durable than cheaper aftermarket stuff hence why most go for OE second hand rather than new aftermarket, also steels are a good choice for winter as they are more likely to bend if you hit some thing like a kerb, and can be more easily bent back into shape where an alloy might be more likely to crack.

Evo did a winter tyre test recently - as with summer tyres, the cheaper brands are not as good, but in perspective, a cheap chinese winter tyre is still going to be better than any summer tyre, just not as good as the premium makes.

HTH.

OK thanks. Which brings me to the question ... where could I obtain a set of steels with decent winter tyres fitted and ready to put on my brand new Octy ?

OK thanks. Which brings me to the question ... where could I obtain a set of steels with decent winter tyres fitted and ready to put on my brand new Octy ?

I got mine from mytyres.com. Mine were delivered quite quickly (in Sept) but the delivery from them is known to be a bit variable (and price varies on the strength of the €. I had an offer from the Skoda dealer for a set at £600. Have a look at the Winter tyres thread HERE

Edited by io1901

I got mine from mytyres.com. Mine were delivered quite quickly (in Sept) but the delivery from them is known to be a bit variable (and price varies on the strength of the €. I had an offer from the Skoda dealer for a set at £600. Have a look at the Winter tyres thread HERE

OK thanks. MyTyres certainly have some good prices :)