Naming Yetis

domhnall

One thing I've noticed on this forum is that a number of people have named their cars. I've never understood this personally, in this house we have a choice of "the Skoda", "the Audi", or "the van". I know from a VW T4 forum that lots of people with those give them names but I've never felt the temptation, though one of my friends is always referring to "Van-essa" for some reason.

So to those yeti owners who have named their cars: is this behaviour confined to your Skoda or have you always named your cars?

Just curious, no adverse conclusions or inferences will be drawn against anyone who names their car :giggle:

Yes I agree, I've always found the naming thing a little strange and to us the car is 'the car', the van is 'the van' and the motorbike is (you've guessed it) 'the bike' but if people want to name their vehicles it's fine by me and I would defend their right to do so! Mind you, I did call my first car (a Berkeley T60) many a name during my year of ownership :swear:

The wife names our cars, and I have to go along. Thus we have Betty the Yeti (after 'Ugly Betty' ... I actually think the car looks good, but SWMBO has a different opinion. I know others have named their Yeti on the same basis). Our MGB is named 'Blodwen' because we bought her in South West Wales. We've previously had 'Polly the Passat', 'Vera the VR6', and 'Suzie Sprite' inter alia - alliteration is a key theme. The one car that didn't get an affectionate name was the worst car we've ever owned, which was always referred to as "that sh***y Subaru" (still alliterative though :giggle: ).

In another dimension of my life, I'm a very keen sailor and boat owner. Pretty much all boats have names, and basically they are also inanimate vehicles, so why not cars?

I hereby promise to keep a roll of duck-tape available at all times and will not utter another word on this thread

Please take this comment with the pinch of salt with which it was intended

For the record, my late father often used to refer to his cars as 'Bettsy' as in "come on Bettsy" when he was trying to overtake something in his Austin Maxi

Not sure why but some cars just seem to warrant a name.

The Yeti is called Harry, after Harry and the Hendersons TV programme.

My previous car was a Peugeot 106 in bright gold. I named it Ola after one of the dancers on Strictly (blonde, petite and cute)

My daughter now drives that and it has been renamed Polly (Peugeot)

These are the only 2 cars that have had a name and I guess that's just because they suited being called something.

I don't think thre is a science to it.

My Yeti is the first car that I have ever named.

It was obvious to call her Scarlet in view her colour.

The sad thing is that we refer to her as if she were a person which confuses our friends at times :blush:

interesting. Bobdogg I like the way you refer to the car as Betty The Yeti but SWMBO is "the wife"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Brimma, your sig appears to suggest you have sort of named your Octy so you're in no position to comment duck tape or not :giggle:

interesting. Bobdogg I like the way you refer to the car as Betty The Yeti but SWMBO is "the wife"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have to be careful; the current Mrs Bobdog is the 4th and I'm not very good at remembering names. I find 'dear' is the best way to address her, as in "Yes dear", "sorry dear" and "doing it now dear". :D

Ours is called "Yoda" derived from Yeti Skoda ...... sad I know :p

I can't understand why some people anthropomorphize things like cars!! Never done it myself.... till I recently saw this thing of beauty! NO - SWMBO was at work! It was so stunning it had to be a SHE. Said somewhere else, someone said call her CHESS as she's built by your Czech mates:oops: sorry to those who've already seen that:lol:

So she had to have a name. All the good one's were gone, Betty, Betti, Hetti etc. So I needed something young, attractive... and came up with SHILPAH. I guess named after that stunning actress Shilpah Shetty (hope it's spelt right!)

By the way it's Shilpah's birthday today - one week old. She's doing remarkably well and looking very good thanks to someone who posted about collinite! Grateful. She's sparkling!

Ours is called "Yoda" derived from Yeti Skoda ...... sad I know :p

That's interesting

I have had a few discussions with my Yeti whilst commuting, and after talking about whether he was a he/she, Mr/Mrs, Master/Miss, we decided that he was a Master and then regarding a name the only thing we really thought positively on was Master Yoda the Skoda, but we then decided that as the real Yoda is green and he is Aqua blue, that it wasn't really right (and George Lucas would bring legal proceeding against us!)

My X-Trail was and will forever be known emotionally as 'My Exy' or 'Exy Trail'

Hetty the Yeti was named because it rhymed. A dear and very long standing friend of ours is also called Hetty and when we showed her the car

she said "well my real name is Ester" ....That's no good "Ester the Yeti !" Botheration.

Kitten & I have called our Yeti 'Ivor' but that's just for the purposes of identifying him, or referring to him on this forum.

At all other times, the Yeti is just a vehicle, and is either referred to as 'the car' or the Yeti'.

All my other vehicles (at a time before Kitten and I were together) were just vehicles and I never bothered to name them.

Kitten also, never named any of her previous cars.

My aunt, who lives in Cardiff has always named her cars, her first car being a little blue Mini 1000. The Mini was called McKenzie and, for reasons only known to her, she's now the proud owner of McKenzie V|| :giggle:

Well, that's cleared that up.

I don't think that giving a car a name is a new thing. Twenty years ago my sister had a yellow Metro City which she named Sterling, a work colleague has an old Vauxhall Victor which he calls Dorothy and now we all call her Dorothy.

I think that it is a sign that you are comfortable with what you drive.

Not named all my cars, but my classic RR was Jemima the puddle duck.

My yeti is Elsie for obvious reasons and Helipad as a P1sstake on Top Gears review of it :lol: I.e. I don't take it too seriously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk