yeti lights upgrade

Oilrag

Well my Benzinfabrik LED drl's have been in for some weeks now and are great, no problems with bulb error warnings, and only took an hour to fit.

Many thanks to all who gave me advice and tips.

• 5 weeks later...

Oh no just bought this lot....I'll be a dead man if the missus finds out how much bulbs like these really cost :giggle:

1 x Benzinfabrik 9907 LED Tagfahrlicht Set für Skoda Yeti

1 x Philips Blue Vision Ultra H4 (set)

1 x Philips Blue Vision Ultra H7 (set)

2 x Philips Blue Vision LED C5W Festoon 6000K

2 x Philips Blue Vision Ultra W5W (set) ....were free

Oh no just bought this lot....I'll be a dead man if the missus finds out how much bulbs like these really cost :giggle:

1 x Benzinfabrik 9907 LED Tagfahrlicht Set für Skoda Yeti

1 x Philips Blue Vision Ultra H4 (set)

1 x Philips Blue Vision Ultra H7 (set)

2 x Philips Blue Vision LED C5W Festoon 6000K

2 x Philips Blue Vision Ultra W5W (set) ....were free

Did you forget the boot light then? :giggle:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who posted advice regarding replacement headlight bulbs. I bought Philips X-tremeVision +100% bulbs on eBay for £19 and a long-handled adjustable mirror for £2. The job is still very fiddly but the mirror makes it possible. The dipped beam is a worthwhile improvement and the main beam shows a really big gain in reach and short range performance. I hope not to have to tackle the job again for a year or so.

Richard T

How long did it take for people to get their benzinfabrik led lights to arrive?

I got an email from them on the 16th saying they were dispatched (no tracking number included) and I still haven't received them?

How long did it take for people to get their benzinfabrik led lights to arrive?

I got an email from them on the 16th saying they were dispatched (no tracking number included) and I still haven't received them?

Well - Zips, look at it this way: at least you are still alive after spending all that dosh on the lights. Obviously your Missus hasn't found out yet!!

• Like 1

Well - Zips, look at it this way: at least you are still alive after spending all that dosh on the lights. Obviously your Missus hasn't found out yet!!

ROFL ....thats rolls on floor laughing for all you old timers in here :p ;)

Yeah I got to the CC statement before her and its shredded already. Even though I paid it off straight away if she'd spotted the amount I'd be brown bread.

See I got all my other lights ready to go just waiting on these and I'll do it all in one go.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to sometimes hide the costs of improvements to our Yeti's. When it comes to buying winter boots later this year it won't be easy hiding those wheels in the corner of the garage. I think I'll have to prepare my case carefully and anticipate any questions about the wisdom of winter tyres.

Well I started to put these in today....

IMAG0078.jpg

Did the sidelights first, handy enough. Then the H7's easy enough though the metal clamp holding it in was very very stiff on the passenger side and access is pretty tight due to the battery/fuse box.

Then onto the fogs, easy enough.

And then the DRLs. The access is tight so I removed them without trying to unclip the plug like it says in the manual. Just rotated the lot and took the bulb out when removed.

So the leds don't exactly fit the slot in the light housing, they tend to "float" about a bit.

I found the yellow wire on the resistor pack should got to the black cable numbered 2 on the bulb connector and the brown goes to number 1.

I then put the bulbs in and twisted as well as I could before then putting the connector back on.

I just stuffed all the wiring in behind, loads of room in there, and put the caps back on.

Everything works well and very happy with the quality of the light now :)

I'll put a pick or 2 when I get a chance.

I just bought the yeti 2.0 4x4 about 2 weeks back in India and am looking to change both my fog/hi-look to xenons.  I got them changed however there is an electrical error showing on the dash now. Can anybody recommend the oem xenons for yeti please? (both fog and headlights)any websites where I can order them online would be much appreciated.

Anshul

zippyijk, where did you find out which wire went where? Most people have just connected them up without seeming to have any problems, I even asked about this, and all answers said it didn't matter.

zippyijk, where did you find out which wire went where? Most people have just connected them up without seeming to have any problems, I even asked about this, and all answers said it didn't matter.

Well I connected up the first one on the drivers side and got a warning so I switched the yellow wire with the brown wire and the bulb warning went out.

I had read here that it didn't seem to matter but??

Anyway they're all working and more importantly the DRLs aren't a feeble yellow light anymore :D

I see you are talking about "sidelights". Im wondering where they are? Are they available in different countries only? I havnt seen any light at the side of my car.

Thanks for the link to the german page. The first thing I will do is place an order to change the yellow dlr:s

We Brits (erroneously) call the first lights that come on when you turn on the lights as "side lights"; the "not very bright ones" in the headlights.

Personally I only use them when I am parked!

Early car designs often had headlights which were nearer the centre of the car than the outer extremities-usually the wings-so lights giving a clearer indication of the width of the vehicle were often fitted nearer the sides of the vehicle.

The Yeti has amazing attention to detail when it comes to the "sidelights". On Halogen cars the little "sidelights" are normal Halogen but on Xenon equiped cars they are in fact already of a blue hue. Yes just go and look and you'll see there is NO point in changing these to anything else as they are already blue tinged. Someone posted about this yonks ago... might even have been Aerofurb.

Early car designs often had headlights which were nearer the centre of the car than the outer extremities-usually the wings-so lights giving a clearer indication of the width of the vehicle were often fitted nearer the sides of the vehicle.

Indeed - "sidelights" are officially known as "position lamps" (and, please note, are not meant for use in lieu of headlights!).

• 2 weeks later...

Oh b*gg*r,noticed that three of the LED's on one of my Benzinfabrik bulbs had stopped working. Took both out and old original ones back in. Then I realised how much easier the old ( yellow ) light is to see in bright sunlight than the LED's were. Anyone noticed?

Also would it be worth sending the faulty one back to Germany? might give it a try.

Oh b*gg*r,noticed that three of the LED's on one of my Benzinfabrik bulbs had stopped working. Took both out and old original ones back in. Then I realised how much easier the old ( yellow ) light is to see in bright sunlight than the LED's were. Anyone noticed?

Also would it be worth sending the faulty one back to Germany? might give it a try.

At the price they are I'd be inclined to ask for a replacement; you might get the newer, smarter bulbs.

Then I realised how much easier the old ( yellow ) light is to see in bright sunlight than the LED's were. Anyone noticed?

Yes, i agree

Over the last fortnight driving 1200 miles to/from/around West Coast Scotland, I noticed how much more clearly the DRLs stand out on cars with standard filament bulbs than do the LED types when the sun is low behind the car so fitted. I became aware that there are lots of VW Golfs, VW T5 vans etc with standard filament DRLs around now and in my view they are better in certain lighting conditions than LED fitted cars such as Audi, Jaguar and particularly the latest Range Rovers whose "dotty" DRL's seem to disappear in bright sunlight.

I'm sure there will be conditions when LEDs are better, but having been on the edge of ordering the conversion kit I'm going to hold off for now as I'm no longer convinced that they are an improvement, They don't save any energy (as a resistor has to be fitted to increase the load to match the originals) although I agree that aesthetically they do look far better on cars fitted with Xenon headlights.

........... although I agree that aesthetically they do look far better on cars fitted with Xenon headlights.

I suppose yes; the blue tinted lights of the DRLs and Xenon headlights match up and go together, but this is irrelevant on a Yeti as the two lights are never on together.Skoda has at least recognised the colouration of light output of xenon headlights and matched up with blue glass 'xenon' sidelight bulbs.