Rising oil level

Anzio

Did anyone see the guy with a Mazda 2.2 diesel with this problem? it was on TV recently in our area. On taking the car to his local dealer, it was found that his DPF had not regenerated itself because of the short journeys he was doing, this resulted in unused diesel being dumped into the sump. The guy said the dealers should make this clear to people who only want a car for city or short trip driving.

Worth remembering.

Did anyone see the guy with a Mazda 2.2 diesel with this problem? it was on TV recently in our area. On taking the car to his local dealer, it was found that his DPF had not regenerated itself because of the short journeys he was doing, this resulted in unused diesel being dumped into the sump. The guy said the dealers should make this clear to people who only want a car for city or short trip driving.

Worth remembering.

I saw that, I didn't realise that the DPF affected the oil level in the car. My last car was a Nissan X Trail and the warning light for nthe DPF used to come on at regular intervals and I would have to give the car a blast on the motorway for about 20 minutes before it would clear

The AA have reported an increasing number of DPF related breakdowns due to people driving for economy at 60mph in 6th gear. Apparently the exhaust doesn't get hot enough for passive regeneration.

Increase in oil level is common on all vehicles with DPF, it is in the handbooks. If your level is increasing visit dealer asap, have oil drained as it is being contaminated by fuel. It is a sure sign that the vehicle is not being driven to VAG recomendations.

Increase in oil level is common on all vehicles with DPF, it is in the handbooks. If your level is increasing visit dealer asap, have oil drained as it is being contaminated by fuel. It is a sure sign that the vehicle is not being driven to VAG recomendations.

But surely we arnt supposed to read the handbooks are we.;)

Afterall we all know everything about cars.:giggle:

So a DPF equipped car that is used for short trips and not allowed to regen will contaminate it's oil with diesel. You will then need an oil and filter change. And a forced DFP regen.

And if you ignore that, the engine will end up running on what's in the sump, go out of control and destroy itself.

This is why diesels are no longer suitable for those doing short commutes, and it's why I will not buy one. If I end up doing 20k a year again, then I will buy a diesel and not until.

Lister Marine used to make a 3 cylinder diesel for canal boats (probably still do) that did this trick - the injectors and their pipe work were all under the rocker cover, and if a pipe became loose or broke, as they frequently did - badly balanced engine - the sump would just fill with diesel. The engine would start to smoke, labour and eventually stop.

Problem was it always did it when the boat was in the most inacessable place, usually involving a long walk down a towpath or accross a field with a box of tools. You pumped the sump, refilled with fresh oil, and then you had to find somebody to braze the broken pipe - happy days !!!

In 2007 being totally unaware of the problems with DPF's and short low speed journeys I bought a Nissan Qashqai 2.0 dci. There was no mention in the brochure and the salesman had no knowledge or declined to share it, that there were issues DPF's and low speed short journeys, this on an Island with a 40mph speed limit.

I spent the next 18 months various trips to the dealer for forced regenerations or simply not using the vehicle. The day I sold it and bought a petrol I felt a great sence of relief. Many local taxi drivers now avoid diesels simply because they are unable to legally attain the speed to start a passive regeneration.

Now if we had a stretch of Motorway it would be a different story.

My mate has an 07 Mazda 6 2.0d and has been having a lot of problems with this.

He does 20k a year most of it at 70+ and the car has about 80k on the clock (problems from about 60k).

Also had issues with the MAF sensor which Mazda wanted £500 to fix but his local indy noticed it was a corroded wire that he fixed for about £50.

Personally I'm wary of the current drop of Eu4 diesels. It doesn't take many faults to make the TFSI look positively economical.

I doubt it'll get better with EU5

Worth remembering.

Yes and no.

I'm not aware that the problem is as bad as some of the issues VAG had with the PD engines in that you have to stop using the car and be recovered when the light shows. But yes you need to check your oil level regularly and quite possibly need to have an extra oil change between services if the level rises too high. That people can spend so much money without knowing how the oily bits work is a mystery to me.

Issues on older 2007 mazda6s are more likely than not issue with the old 2.0 diesel which had similar problems to the Mondeos not the newer 2.2

When I bought my 3, I did ask about diesels but no one was sure whether I would get a late Euro III or a Euro IV Ford/PSA 1.6td engine. The IVs having a dpf that at the time was nearly a £1000 service job at 5years/75k miles.

As per the other thread on the petrol price gap, it's people wrongly opting for diesels when a petrol is better and cheaper for them.

Low mileage city derv's are best avoided and part ex's on cars with DPF's will reflect this long term. And people worry about variable servicing damaging engines!

As per the other thread on the petrol price gap, it's people wrongly opting for diesels when a petrol is better and cheaper for them.

Low mileage city derv's are best avoided and part ex's on cars with DPF's will reflect this long term. And people worry about variable servicing damaging engines!

You can be certain that diesel's crescent has waned, the day I buy one.

You can be certain that diesel's crescent has waned, the day I buy one.

And I'll be either just ahead or just behind you.

I bought the VRS just weeks before the first big rises in fuel prices, trading in a Clio which did 70mpg.

OK it was a hateful little car but it was economical.

I know lots of people worry about variable servicing, but why? If a cars oil and filter is changed annually { unless you are doing mega miles per year ) then there is nothing to worry about, I spent most of life working for a world famous oil refinery, and as long as oil is the correct spec it doesn't matter who makes it.

I know lots of people worry about variable servicing, but why? If a cars oil and filter is changed annually { unless you are doing mega miles per year ) then there is nothing to worry about, I spent most of life working for a world famous oil refinery, and as long as oil is the correct spec it doesn't matter who makes it.

So many people do changes at 5k or 9k (halfway). They'd have their work cut out if they worked on trucks, where a member posted service intervals is something crazy like 60K between oil changes.