Snow Chains

Hi all,

Sorry if I sound rude (get that bit in first) :)

I have an Octavia Scout. I want some snow chains (not socks). I already have winter tyres (205/55R16s on steel wheels). I know snow chain use will be limited, but I have my reasons for wanting them. Cost isn't an issue at all, ease of use is.

I would like to know has anyone actually used chains, if so which ones, how did they fare and, more importantly, how easy were they to fit, especially when it's wet and cold at the side of a road. I have tried to help fit chains in the past; the weather was awful (hence the need for chains) - it was bl**dy freezing and my fingers were in agony.

Because of past experience I am leaning away from conventional chains and more toward the type that just lock onto a wheel nut (Maggi Trak, Thule K-summit etc) and don't want the hassle of fitting an adaptor plate etc before I set off (eg Spikes Spider). I want them in the boot, if the need arises I want to get them out, fit them without getting frostbite, and be on my way.

I appreciate that a lot won't see the point of chains and will have lots of advice about not bothering etc, and if that's the case feel free to jog on.

Sorry if this sounds rude and a bit abrupt but I know I am going to get chains and am just interested in the experience of those that have already gone down this route :)

PS Thanks in advance!

Chains are legal in the UK but only on snow covered roads.

Wouldn't bother though as you won't need them with Winter tyres......Mine was like driving normally last year through all sorts of different surfaces.

Sorry if I sound rude ...

... I appreciate that a lot won't see the point of chains and will have lots of advice about not bothering etc, and if that's the case feel free to jog on.

AFAIK Snow chains are not legal in the UK. :'(

Chains are legal in the UK but only on snow covered roads.

Wouldn't bother though as you won't need them with Winter tyres......Mine was like driving normally last year through all sorts of different surfaces.

I wasn't intending on using them in the UK, I was after feedback from anyone who'd actually used them.

I used them last year. Purchased from Halfords - can't remember the make and can't access the car at the mo (at work) but they came in a yellow plastic carry-case. (if you're desperate to know I can get the make later).

Getting on was no problem; they have a cable from which the chains 'hang', and having passed the cable behind the tyre you simply connect the cable ends together then arrange the chains over the tyre, connecting them up on the outside of the wheel, and tighten as per instructions.

Once on you felt as though you could drive up walls. Max speed was 30mph, however on sections when the snow wasn't quite deep enough and you touched tarmac, 15mph felt too fast and the vibration of every link on the road made you feel like the fillings in your teeth would fall out. I vowed only to use them again if I got stuck.

Getting them off was a real pain however. Your wheel arch by then is full of snow; the chain/cable is covered also, and finding the break in the cable in order to release the whole set up was an almighty pain in the butt. Cold fingers don't help after 10 minutes of blindly fumbling around on the inside of the wheel, and at one point I thought that removing the entire wheel would be the easier option. That was the biggest down side for me; as a result they're strictly 'only for use in case of emergency'.

Thanks Rab, your experience is re-inforcing my gut feeling that keeping away from conventional chains like you have is the way to go. I'm thinking that although not offering quite as much traction as conventional chains (from what I've read anyway) that the chains that don't require access to behind the wheel are more my thing. I hate having cold & numb fingers so anything that helps is worth it in my book.

I have used chains although not on my Scout.

What ever the design it is best to factor in 1/2 hour to fit and have a bit of foam mat to kneel on and warm waterproof gloves. I use thin wool gloves (cheap magic gloves where one size stretches to fit all) with nitrile gloves on top which seem to do a great job at keeping hands warm and dry whilst still giving plenty of feel. Have a head torch as well if you may be doing it in the dark.

With this attitude it seemed an OK job, if I'd kidded myself it was a 5 min job I'd be cursing!!

I have not had to drive on them but trial fitted both snow sock, chains and chains which pull on with the wheel bolts. The ones which pull on with the wheel bolts are much easier to fit than any of the others but they cost allot more. You Just hang them on the top of the wheel pull them around the bitts of wheel you can reach and then connect clamp to wheel bolt pull tight and drive off. Then pull over and make sure they are on. The over chains took a lot of rolling the car back and forwards and grovelling on the floor. Snow socks were very tight to fit and saw on my hands but don’t have to untangle them like normal chains.

I got the Skoda ones, tried them last year, just to see how they behave and it was very easy to put them on.

Maybe if you are stuck in deep snow they will help, but with only winter tires last year testing the car it went superbly on a frozen pond in Austrian alps and deep snow up to the front metal plate, no problems, but I do keep chains in the boot.

post-51727-0-18539700-1323603196_thumb.jpg

... bit of foam mat to kneel on and warm waterproof gloves. I use thin wool gloves (cheap magic gloves where one size stretches to fit all) with nitrile gloves on top which seem to do a great job at keeping hands warm and dry whilst still giving plenty of feel. Have a head torch as well if you may be doing it in the dark.

I have some foam in the garage that I can kneel on, some thermal glove liners (thin stretchy wool things), and can get nitrile gloves. Already have a head torch, just need to swap the batteries out before I go away - great advice, thanks :)

... trial fitted both snow sock, chains and chains which pull on with the wheel bolts. The ones which pull on with the wheel bolts are much easier to fit than any of the others but they cost allot more. You Just hang them on the top of the wheel pull them around the bitts of wheel you can reach and then connect clamp to wheel bolt pull tight and drive off. Then pull over and make sure they are on. The over chains took a lot of rolling the car back and forwards and grovelling on the floor. Snow socks were very tight to fit and saw on my hands but don’t have to untangle them like normal chains.

Thank you, just what I wanted to hear, first hand experience. I know there is a massive cost premium for the ones that attach to wheel bolts but I'll happily pay for ease of use and to mean I'll not have to be crawling around in freezing temperatures, probably in the dark, and swearing like a trooper!

I got the Skoda ones, tried them last year, just to see how they behave and it was very easy to put them on.

Maybe if you are stuck in deep snow they will help, but with only winter tires last year testing the car it went superbly on a frozen pond in Austrian alps and deep snow up to the front metal plate, no problems, but I do keep chains in the boot.

I know I'll probably not need them, especially with winter tyres, but this is for peace of mind more than anything. Glad you managed, gives me confidence nothing will stop me, but ...... I want some for the 'just in case' scenario, even if they never come out of the boot :)

We got some last winter as we were going to germany over christmas and due to go into the mountain/skii slopes.

We used them a few times and after we had a trial run in england before going we found them very easy and quick to get on and off.

The times we did use them was when we had to get up a very steep and snowy hill when we first arrived. We didn't have our winter tyres on yet as we were struggling to get any in the UK so were just going to get them over there. We stuck them on and wizzed up the hill (about 25% incline). The grip truly is epic with them... no clever clutch work or having to use high gear... just drive and go!

If we didn't have them we really would have been stuck. Even our relatives VW Touareg (the 2010 3.0 TDI) with some really good winter rubber on got stuck at one point when we didn't get stuck once.

We just when for the cheapest set off ebay we could find and costs about £20.

Also another note to add... depending where you are going it may be a requirement to carry them in the car "just in case" as I think it was when driving in the mountain regions in Germany.

Phil

I have used chains many a time on my old octy and you can't beat them for driving in heavy snow on on thick sheet ice - I was living in Scotland last winter and they made the difference between getting home and not - even with winter tyres.

I've tried few varieties over the last few years and in my opinion the best ones I've used (cost vs convenience) are the "weissenfels clack and go pro tech". They are a traditional style chain, but the have clever self tensioning reels in them (think like a retractable tapemeasure) which centre and tension the chains as you drive. I got fitting down to a couple of minutes a side after the first attempt as you don't have to pull them tight yourself. Literally do them up, flick the tension switch and drive off. They pull themselves tight as you pull away.

Removing is just as easy as you flick a switch and then pull the cable out of the tensioner, before undoing and driving off them.

Hope this is of use

... depending where you are going it may be a requirement to carry them in the car "just in case" as I think it was when driving in the mountain regions in Germany.

This is my main reason for wanting some as we drive to the Alps every year to go skiing :)

... in my opinion the best ones I've used (cost vs convenience) are the "weissenfels clack and go pro tech".

... Hope this is of use

Yes, very useful, thank you.

I used chains a couple of winters on a Rover 400 when I lived in Scotland. (See my old thread: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=338127)

I used www.toys4cars and brought the cheapest, circa £30. I now have a set for my Octavia but haven't used them in anger on the Skoda.

They were absolutely invaluable in Scotland. I lived a mile up a private track. Of the dozen or so people living up that track only the farmer in his tractor and those of us who had snow chains could drive with ease all the way up when the snow became compacted and icy and lay on the ground for several weeks. The normal 4x4s struggled and sometimes needed several attempts.

The downside was fitting and removing them in the extreme cold and dark at 4 in the morning on the way to work. I would have to remove them when I got down to the main road and although I got slick it was a messy business. Good water proof gloves and a good torch were essential. You need to consider where you will put them when they are covered in wet snow and salt. I dumped them in the rear footwell once then parked at the airport for 3 days. They rusted and ruined a mat.

I remember once spending 15 mins trying to fit them, wife in the car with the shopping, snowing, freezing cold, tried again and again then eventually pulled it out from under the wheel and threw it across the road in my anger! 2nd attempt was more succesful. Overall though they were ok to put on and off, I'd say maybe 4 to 5 minutes for 2 chains to put on or take off. Only once was I late for work when I drove down to the main road, took the chains off, got in the car and realised I was still wearing my boots but had left my work shoes in the porch up the track so I had not option but to put chains on... drive back up the road... back down to main road and remove the chains once more...

The chains I got this year for my Octavia have colour coding so they are easier to fit. Both sets I've had also had tensioners so once on the tyre they needed no adjustment. On proper snow they were good for 40mph as the links were very small (8mm I think).

I like having them in the boot because I know that whatever snow falls, if the road isn't clogged with abandoned cars I'll be able to get where I'm going.

Edited by Skippymon

in the UK ,I'd question how /why you'd want them . Perhaps I've been lucky ,but in over 45 years on UK roads ,I've only once ha my skils tested -in 78 ,NE englan to Fife , I hit conditions that made going on more realistic than turning back .I learned to handle snow on single track roads ,with self taught skid correction .it's all about correct gears /correct speed and assessment of road conditions .

One time we had a snow plough turn up -it exited stage left ,blocking road for hours.

Again ,perhaps I'm lucky ,but I had training from relatives trained in off roading ,and a few years in Africa driving in poor roa conditions /wet roads .It's more about deciding where you can't go and avoiding it than where you can go .Again when snow comes -a lot of skill is in finding roads where the idiots that think that more throttle means more traction don't go .Virgin snow is easy to drive on ,unless the snow is deeper than yourcar .Roads shined up by throttle merchants are very slippery .

Edited by VWD

From observations over the past few decades in European and American ski resorts- very few people now use or need to use chains, modern winter tyres seem more than adequate. Even some snow coaches have winter tyres which provide adequate traction.

Last winter did a few weeks in Alps (A,CH,D), and the only time my winter wheels drove in snow is when I went behind Hotels where they gathered the cleaned snow from hotel pavements. Also around ski resorts, looking like a right up @ss hitting the side roads or parts where cars don't park, but it was the only snow covered part.

Oh and found a solid frozen pond being driven over it by a tractor, so gave it a try with TC on, I swear with 4 wheels on ice, with soft clutch start, it didn't even wheel spin, let alone TC light coming on.

Sure chains in the boot :)

From observations over the past few decades in European and American ski resorts- very few people now use or need to use chains, modern winter tyres seem more than adequate. Even some snow coaches have winter tyres which provide adequate traction.

I know they aren't common but I have seen them sometimes, and it depends where you're staying and how far up that narrow track your accommodation actually is. Also in some places they are a legal requirement so for the sake of a few quid (or a few hundred, I'll keep them for years) I'd hate to miss out because of freak conditions. I think of them as insurance.

Last winter did a few weeks in Alps (A,CH,D), and the only time my winter wheels drove in snow is when I went behind Hotels where they gathered the cleaned snow from hotel pavements. Also around ski resorts, looking like a right up @ss hitting the side roads or parts where cars don't park, but it was the only snow covered part.

Oh and found a solid frozen pond being driven over it by a tractor, so gave it a try with TC on, I swear with 4 wheels on ice, with soft clutch start, it didn't even wheel spin, let alone TC light coming on.

Sure chains in the boot :)

The boot is where I hope they will stay, but just in case :)

I've used them a number of times, including a couple of times in the UK. I only had the relatively cheap RUD easy 2 go chains, nothing fancy. Didn't find any difficulty at all taking them on and off. Only takes a minute or two to get them on. Best bet is to have a practice run fitting them in nice conditions with decent light, so that you'll find it easier to do when it's dark and chucking it down.

I've used them a number of times, including a couple of times in the UK. I only had the relatively cheap RUD easy 2 go chains, nothing fancy. Didn't find any difficulty at all taking them on and off. Only takes a minute or two to get them on. Best bet is to have a practice run fitting them in nice conditions with decent light, so that you'll find it easier to do when it's dark and chucking it down.

The ones you gave me with the wheels i tried to get on with the wheels off the car (granted this probably made it more difficult) and gave up as i couldn't figure them out!!

Ive heard of someone who carried spare wheels with chains on & simply swapped the wheels, he reconed it was easier than fitting chains, Im not totally convinced. I didnt find it to hard fitting them but would agree they are a pain to take off which in the Alps is as soon as you find Tarmac again. I only had Ski gloves which in the end I had to take off & ended up with very cold numb fingers so would recomend carying a thin pair of gloves just for that purpose

• 3 weeks later...

I carry chains during the winter and use them maybe twice a year. I fit them when I can no longer move the car on studded winter tyres on remote forest roads. Fitting time is maybe 5 minutes per wheel, including re-tightening the chains after a short drive (tip for novices: do ten practice runs in your garage or warm weather, saves your fingers from freezing if it's -20°C). Removing them is much quicker than fitting: Stop the car so that the clasp is about 30cm off the ground, turn wheels to full lock to expose clasp, unclasp and allow chain to fall to the ground, drive off. Simple.

Mine were about 20€, and have performed fine for a few years of casual use.

Good luck with your chains!

Hi all,

Sorry if I sound rude (get that bit in first) :)

I have an Octavia Scout. I want some snow chains (not socks). I already have winter tyres (205/55R16s on steel wheels). I know snow chain use will be limited, but I have my reasons for wanting them. Cost isn't an issue at all, ease of use is.

I would like to know has anyone actually used chains, if so which ones, how did they fare and, more importantly, how easy were they to fit, especially when it's wet and cold at the side of a road. I have tried to help fit chains in the past; the weather was awful (hence the need for chains) - it was bl**dy freezing and my fingers were in agony.

Because of past experience I am leaning away from conventional chains and more toward the type that just lock onto a wheel nut (Maggi Trak, Thule K-summit etc) and don't want the hassle of fitting an adaptor plate etc before I set off (eg Spikes Spider). I want them in the boot, if the need arises I want to get them out, fit them without getting frostbite, and be on my way.

I appreciate that a lot won't see the point of chains and will have lots of advice about not bothering etc, and if that's the case feel free to jog on.

Sorry if this sounds rude and a bit abrupt but I know I am going to get chains and am just interested in the experience of those that have already gone down this route :)

PS Thanks in advance!

I have a set of Michelin - whatever- cannot remember name, but they are made from Kevlar and are easy and quick to fit, plus I believe it is not absolutely necessary to remove them once the deep snow peters out