Talk to me about ... Exhausts

After some "spirited" driving this morning, the engine check light came on!

Phoned Fast Road Conversions, they said "no problem, bring it back on Monday and we'll change the cat".

They also said that the only problems they've had like this before was with Beemers, never an Octy, maybe it's a faulty cat. We'll change and see.

I'll report back. Maybe it needs a 300 cell item ,,,,, anybody?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May well be the case yes. I had the same issue with mine, but grabbing the fault code will tell you for certain either way so that's probably easier than swapping the cat out and hoping for the best.

If it is the cat, you can either fit a more restrictive one as you say or simply get a de-cat map from your tuner - most will do either for free or a small fee if you've already forked out once.

I would have thought the cat will be fine. Been running 200 cell with no issues. Just the map that needs tweaking probably.

I'm running the OEM map at the moment.

A de-cat map may fix the dasboard display issues, but not the exhaust "sniffer" when an MOT is required.

Okay, cat changed, 100 ish miles, light back on.

Spoke with Fast Road Conversions who said they VAG(ed) the car and said it's a lazy Lambda probe. The exhaust emmisions are fine so we'll change the Lambda.

I checked the emmisions (via my frendly MOT peeps) and FRC are correct. :thumbup:

Anybody else had a 'lazy' one?

Okay, cat changed, 100 ish miles, light back on.

Spoke with Fast Road Conversions who said they VAG(ed) the car and said it's a lazy Lambda probe. The exhaust emmisions are fine so we'll change the Lambda.

I checked the emmisions (via my frendly MOT peeps) and FRC are correct. :thumbup:

Anybody else had a 'lazy' one?

Often happens if it's been removed and replaced I'm afraid.

OK guys, heres the Update I promised:

the other night I successfully fitted my Milltek Downpipe/Sports Cat purchased from a guy who had a 2.0 TFSI Audi S3.

this bolted right up to my 2.0 TSI with no problems at all. Ive been running it for a few days now and have had no CEL light either, everything seems well and good!

Just a quick query.....

If its quite a quick job to change the dp over why bother with a cat? Just save the money and change over at not time?

You could also get a switchable map for stock and decat

• 4 weeks later...

The way I see it is that the pre-cat is only there to improve cold start emissions. I dont think it would fail as the pre cats are not mandatory on every car and they dont test for start up emissions. I think as long as a car is fitted with a cat and passes the emissions test then the MOT tester should not fail the car. Looking into the new regs on MOT I think they are more geared towards stopping people fitting decat pipes and HIDs without level adjustment or proper xenon lenses. Basically as its part of the MOT, if you were stopped by the Police then you could be prosecuted or given a VDRS for having a vehicle that is not fit for road use. I really dont see the pre-cat being an issue as it is pre cat and not the main cat.

I am taking my car to BCS Exhausts in Feb and they are using my car to develop the exhaust next month for the Octy VRS. He has given me an idea of how much the exhaust will be to buy but I wont quote it until its officially released by BCS. All I can say is that it will be a lot cheaper than the Milltek! The exhaust will be a full 3inch system front to back.. You have choices of a 100 cel cat, 200 cell cat or a full FIA 100 cel race cat. Once the exhaust is complete and I have more details I will let you all know the details. Given that some of the MK5 boys have the BCS exhausts and rave about them stating they are better than the milltek for fitment, power and noise then it should be interesting to see the end product on my car.:D

First images of Matt's car with the new BCS full 76mm TBE featuring the brand new 80mm 40 deg trims.

System was a beast to design given the complexity of the rear suspension, we had no right to attempt a 76mm run through there, but it turned out spot on and now represents the only full TBE 76mm system which will run a true 100 cell road legal cat.

_DSC1466.jpg

_DSC1470.jpg

_DSC1471.jpg

_DSC1467.jpg

Cheers

Nige

^ Is the BCS system now released to buy?

Any video of sound and prices?

Hey thanks for the enq - video and prices will be released next week.

Production fixtures are now complete.

Can offer a group buy if required to kick the ball off for members looking to get the most potential from the exhaust

Cheers

Nige

www.bcsautomotive.co.uk

ha that usually happens to me, even worse when they look at you to say "course it was faulty"

Hope that sorts it for you mate.

Nah, light came back on 200mls later!

Went to AMD on Tuesday, they said they will 'map' it out.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained?