LEGO, are you ever too old?

Tech1e

Build finished today, 3 manuals to build this baby. Really good fun, dont think this will be the last Technic.

CIMG1742.jpg

CIMG1743.jpg

CIMG1746.jpg

Working steering, gearbox to switch between spec lift and flat bed with little clutches in it etc. Very cool.

Sorry about fuzzy pics..lol

• Like 2

Of course you are never too old for Lego.

I'm 51 but if you add the first number to the second number I am only 6 so I am allowed to play with it!

My son got me the 8053 crane for Xmas and I have just completed instruction book 1 of 3 today.

It might be finished by the weekend?

Of course you are never too old for Lego.

I'm 51 but if you add the first number to the second number I am only 6 so I am allowed to play with it!

My son got me the 8053 crane for Xmas and I have just completed instruction book 1 of 3 today.

It might be finished by the weekend?

Is that the one with the 8-wheel steering, and the extending jib? If so, you might like to know that by setting both the jib extend and the winch drive clutches together, you can make the hook lower as the jib extends, just like on a real one!

Is that the one with the 8-wheel steering, and the extending jib? If so, you might like to know that by setting both the jib extend and the winch drive clutches together, you can make the hook lower as the jib extends, just like on a real one!

It is indeed

Thanx ken.

BTW I just love that VW camper but I think I'll save up for one of THESE next.

Awesome!

• Like 1

Awesome, is it sad i recognise they've modelled the truck on an MAN TGA? lol... :'(

I used to have the Spec-lift they did, modified it so it had dual ram's to lift with instead of a crane, and it managed to then be able to lift a little kids sit on/push along car :rofl:

Awesome, is it sad i recognise they've modelled the truck on an MAN TGA? lol... :'(

I used to have the Spec-lift they did, modified it so it had dual ram's to lift with instead of a crane, and it managed to then be able to lift a little kids sit on/push along car :rofl:

I see what you mean, although I thought it was meant to be a DAF 95 or 105.

Indecators by the fogs/spots says TGA to me...

However, I see what you mean with the shape of the grills, but it could also go the way of an R Series scania...

Infact, it seems like they've put a highline R-series cab onto a TGA lower half lol. looking at the line on the door/through the window to the rear the shape of that has R-series all over it lol.

Also used the Mindstorms kit at University, it was apparently so popular in higher education the second kit (NXT) was designed with feedback from colleges and universities and corrects most of the main annoyances with the first kit.

It's funny seeing this thread as I've been trying to buy the Lego Excavator before it disappears, I have Argos vouchers to use and they were also cheapest but couldn't seem to get one ordered to store. Apparently I should be able to this week but the price has gone up a tenner :( I'm tempted by the race truck though or the new logging truck which kind of combines the two although I don't like the American look. I'm pleased to see I'm not on my own though and was also bolstered when visiting a friend who was home for Christmas and spent a good chunk of his time building his old Lego technic kits. I bought the following bad boy and found it surprisingly enjoyable to build:

http://johnmcl7.smugmug.com/Other/General/Dozer1/211678333_J5J57-L.jpg

http://johnmcl7.smugmug.com/Other/General/Dozer2/211678431_Dn7t8-L.jpg

To give an idea of size, it's sitting on an 17in laptop.

Any recommended places to buy from? Amazon.de seem to have some good prices but they don't ship to the UK.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this looks more like a Scania R series (day cab) to me http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Technic-8258-Crane-Truck/dp/B001U3ZMKO/ref=sr_1_6?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1327074803&sr=1-6

It even has a V8 engine (but that looks more like a Deutz air-cooled unit than an R14 or R16).

I did wonder how they choose their models and how closely they base them on real vehicles, I came across this link which has a two part video 'Behind the Design':

http://technic.lego.com/en-gb/Movies/default.aspx

It explains pretty much how they make a model from start to finish which I guess is mostly how you would expect but it was interesting to see how they chose which model to actually produce which in this case is the bulldozer. Then they seem to make a fair few different models before eventually settling on the final design, I thought it would be a case of putting it through some 3D package on a PC and making just one model.

Any impulse purchases from people reading this thread? When looking around I was a bit staggered at how expensive the bulldozer kit I have is because it's out of production now which seems to really drive prices up so I ended up buying a bit more than planned but figure it's better getting for a reasonable price now and putting it aside rather than wishing I'd bought it further down the line and not being prepared to pay the inflated price.

John

• 1 month later...

You guys are a bad influence. I recently got the technic towtruck. Absolutely awesome.

Linky

Only shame is you really need to spend an hour or so organising all the pieces before starting. There is no obvious logic to the bags of parts in the box.

Me being me, i didn't bother organising all the pieces, and spent most of my first couple of hours looking for random parts.

Even the missus was looking on jealously.

You are right, sorting out the parts into different colours is best. I would have thought that the bags could be coded somehow against the 3 instruction manuals.

And when it's built it may look something like this:

Lego%25202012-02-18%2520001.JPG

• Like 1

Your'e too old for Lego when it's 3 AM and you have a couple of loose bricks impaled in the soles of your bare feet while trying to get to the loo ninja style without waking anyone up.

Designed for fun.

Engineered for pain.

• Like 1