Xenons are they worth it

Re Xenons, Ok But big draw back on the Octy anyway is that its a dealer job to change a side light bulb as the whole unit is sealed. Probably not worth the money, the Xenon is only on Dip so a set of Rally bulbs in the std lights will give as good Dip plus some decent main beams

I think they're worth it - if you don't drive much at night they may not be as it's extra dosh for sure.

They are also far better in foggy conditions. Rally bulbs - yeah nice idea but they're illegal. For legal lights they are ace - fake-Xenon bulbs are good but nowhere near as good (I had those in my previous car and they WERE better than standard ones but it's no comparison).

:D

Thanks for the replys. I think the site is so comprehensive that most things I think of have already been discussed!

Does anyone have a view on the IbizaTDI 130/Fabia Vrs comparison. I suppose it's up to the individual and as I prefer the Fabia (quieter, more grown-up smoother etc) that's what matters but all the motoring mags seem to say they are much the same to drive which I didn't find at all.

Thanks

To most folk, myself included they seem like an over expensive toy. But in reality as Josh says once you've had them I suspect you'll never willingly go back to conventional lights. If you've got the money to burn then just do it.

Thanks for the replys. I think the site is so comprehensive that most things I think of have already been discussed!

Does anyone have a view on the IbizaTDI 130/Fabia Vrs comparison. I suppose it's up to the individual and as I prefer the Fabia (quieter' date=' more grown-up smoother etc) that's what matters but all the motoring mags seem to say they are much the same to drive which I didn't find at all.

Thanks[/quote']

The Fabia is "more grown up" as you put it, and better in every way IMO, apart from handling due to the 300 kg difference (well nearly), if your going down the Ibiza route, atleast get a Cupra 160 as they are extremely quick as standard let alone remapped :thumbup:

The Seat Ibiza was well down the list in Auto Express consumer satisfaction survey- 83rd :o The Fabia was 7th..........Im glad I went for the Fab in the end.

Incidentally the Polo was even lower than the Ibiza- 88th!!

I have xenons on my octy, and i also think the're worth every penny, and doubt i could ever buy another car without them. btw bulbs are not a dealer job (on the octy anyway) as i've had them out and changed sidelights + main beams in about 20 mins

To most folk, myself included they seem like an over expensive toy. But in reality as Josh says once you've had them I suspect you'll never willingly go back to conventional lights. If you've got the money to burn then just do it.

Not convinced, we have 2 Octys, one with Xenons & one with rally bulbs. The one with Xenons is useless if you want to drive quickly, Ok you can fit bigger main bulbs but for most people that would be a dealer job as the whole unit is sealed.

Also they are hard to convert for continental driving, the stickies dont seem to work, they can be switched but again its a dealer job, I gather about 1/2 hour per side & you then have to do it all again when you get home.

The conventional lights are also height adjustable from within the car so you can set them slightly high for fast driving but easily turn them down when you are in traffic so as not to dazzle others

Best lights I have ever had were my higher powered (slightly illegal I agree) Scooby lights. The Xenons on my Merc were rubbish really. I reckon better bulbs are a better bet.

I tested the Ibiza 130 back to back (drove the Fabia I was lent for 3 hrs to the Seat Garage, who werent too pleased). I found there was a big difference. As I have said elsewhere, the Ibiza had a much harsher ride and yet it didnt seem to actually handle any better, and was harder to get the best from. The Ibiza was noisier too. The vRS was quicker but then the Ibiza had done less than 1000 miles against the Fabia at 6000. The interior I felt was worse too. Wasnt a difficult choice after that.

I had a fairly long test drive in an Ibiza 130 and found the ride really uncomfortably harsh. Also it seemed really gloomy inside with the high waistline.

When I heard Skoda launched the vRS and the ride was much more compliant my mind was made up. The cheaper price was just an added bonus.

Oh, and I like the xenons, but have no experience of non-xenons on a Fabia so can't really make a comparison.

My Passat has Xenons and my wife's Fabia has standard headlamps. I think that the Fabia's headlamps are just as good as the Passat's. In fact I think the Fabia's lights have a better spread on dipped beam. Save yourself some money unless you like the 'cool' look of Xenons!

In Germany they come standard. I like them, great passing lane prestige.

You tend to get respect from other traffic when you've got Xenons. Maybe they think it's a BMW or an Audi coming towards them. Must really p!ss them off when they see it's a Skoda! (and yes, mine are correctly adjusted).