Diesel nozzle won

Hi

I am totally new to Skodas and Diesels.

Just bought an 09 Octavia 1.9 Tdi.

First diesel fill up, no problem.

Second fill up, nozzle would not go in properly trickled £15 in and gave up after 10 minutes.

Next filling station, tried nozzle and gave up straight away.

With 85 miles to go I need a solution fairly soon.

Some advice seems to be just push nozzle firmly.

My reservation is that push firmly often comes just before – a bit of plastic just broke off.

Or is this the solution? – just shove it in.

Not easy but think I have just about managed that without too many double entendres!

Thanks

• Like 1

Sorry, but your post does'nt make any sense! Is the nozzle not fitting the fuel pipe correctly? Is it the pump clicking off too soon? Not being funny, are you sure its a derv??! Have you gone back to where you purchased it?

Definitely diesel car and diesel pump.

The nozzle will not go in far enough.

There are 3 bits of plastic which seem to act as restrictors - but they are just too restrictive.

With the nozzle not fully into the inlet pipe I am reluctant to do any more than trickle fuel as I do not want to end up covered in diesel.

However even trickling fuel in the pump was cutting out.

So it’s down to this. Do you just push harder to force the nozzle further in?

Any diesel drivers out there?

Thanks

Hope this makes sense.

Had the same problem when I got my new Octavia a few weeks back, the pump nozzle would not go in. Had a play around with it and it goes in OK if the pump nozzle is horizontal, it just seems to slide through those plastic bits, it is a bit tight. Have a play, it will go in.

• Like 1

Hope this makes sense.

Had the same problem when I got my new Octavia a few weeks back, the pump nozzle would not go in. Had a play around with it and it goes in OK if the pump nozzle is horizontal, it just seems to slide through those plastic bits, it is a bit tight. Have a play, it will go in.

+1 that was my thinking I am sure its the same with mine putting it in with trigger pointing straight down it clicks off far too soon so you have to turn it to either direct the fuel forward or backwards after the kink in nozzle. Most modern cars the nozzle will only go in a small amount say 3cm then stops. I think that this is part of the anti theft bit in there to stop someone putting a hose down into tank to siphon out your fuel.

Are you using the HGV Pump? As that nozzle is too big for any car.

That was my initial thought too lol. But I think its just the angle of nozzle.

• Like 1

Sorry, but your post does'nt make any sense! Is the nozzle not fitting the fuel pipe correctly? Is it the pump clicking off too soon? Not being funny, are you sure its a derv??! Have you gone back to where you purchased it?

+1 are you sure hpt isnt a petrol? Diesel nozzels are bigger to stop people putting diesel in their petrol...just a thought.

Problem Solved

Many thanks to all who responded.

It was, as suggested all down to the angle of the nozzle, which has to be horizontal or very close to horizontal.

After 12+ years of driving and filling a Saab 900 classic I was probably just programmed to put the nozzle in at the angle which best suits its filler neck.

Thanks again.

I struggle filling mine up sometimes to, find it annoying that it wont take the larger high speed nozzles and do struggle filing up in petrol stations.

At work I ended up fitting a petrol nozzle to a high speed pump otherwise filling up takes to long.

Hi,

Only just seen this thread so apologies for late addition.

Its not you, it seems to be a VAG problem. I've got a 59 plate diesel Octy and have had issues with refuelling from day 1. Last week at Sainsburys filling station was a classic - I only managed to get £1.12 of diesel into a car with a nearly empty tank. Felt embarrassed when rocking up to the pay point but was told not to worry as they often seen this with VAG cars. I just wonder what the attitude will be at one of those garages that has a minmum spend.

In similar vein I've not yet found one of those devices that prevents filling with petrol on a diesel that works reliably on an Octy.

Just another reason why its goodbye Octy when the warranty expires.

In similar vein I've not yet found one of those devices that prevents filling with petrol on a diesel that works reliably on an Octy.

Personally I think its best to just use a diesel pump on a diesel care regardless of its make people who put petrol in deserve the consequences. I have driven hundreds of different cars and regularly driving up to 20 different mixed fuel types in a day I have never been one of those people! :giggle:

Read the responses to this thread it may also help you we all have managed to discover the angle required and can fill car easily as a result.

I use SoloDiesel on the Scout. I wouldn't say it was slow to refuel, but I find the price has gone up by the time I finished!

Get yourself one of these...

fuelfiller.jpg

Try putting the pump nozzle in with the trigger at the top, that sometimes works.

Another vote for this. At my local Tesco, the only way i can get the fuel in at a decent rate is to put the nozzle in "upside down" whereas at the local Shell I can use it normally...

I've always been able to get the nozzle into mine OK.I'd have thought the male nozzle should be at right angles to the female filler.Engineering terminology there guys.  Premature cutting out happens ,rarely, but is sorted by turning the nozzle round.

Hi,

Only just seen this thread so apologies for late addition.

Its not you, it seems to be a VAG problem. I've got a 59 plate diesel Octy and have had issues with refuelling from day 1. Last week at Sainsburys filling station was a classic - I only managed to get £1.12 of diesel into a car with a nearly empty tank. Felt embarrassed when rocking up to the pay point but was told not to worry as they often seen this with VAG cars. I just wonder what the attitude will be at one of those garages that has a minmum spend.

Just another reason why its goodbye Octy when the warranty expires.

Sorry, but I think that's a rather poor reason, when several members here have told you how to do it.

If I have the problem with my car where the trigger keeps kicking out then I pull the holster out of the neck of the tank and hold it so that the jet of fuel goes into the hole.