General F1 Discussion Topic . .

Which means that the development costs could be written down over at least 6 years, and quite possibly 3 or 4 teams per engine supplier.

Yes agreed, that's what you and me would think but this is the world of F1 we're talking about! You just know it's not going to work like that.

Renault have also said if it costs too much they`ll pull out. I can seriously see this being dropped or delayed. Still, lewis wanted the challenge, it`ll certainly be that either way.

Exactly, if the engine manufacturers don't get the deal they want, they'll just walk. Although I have heard a rumour that anothe rmanufacturer may return to the fold, think it was someone like Toyota.

Maybe VW? That would be fun! Especially when they need additional tank for engine oil ;)

Have VW pulled out of Dakar for good?

If so they could do with some motorsport to plow cash into - F1 would be perfect. Hang on are they not doing WRC now instead? Thinking about it F1 is a fair step up from Dakar and WRC in terms of money required. Maybe BMW are returning?

I think in the next few years we'll see McLaren self propelled maybe purchasing the new Pure engine concern.

Makes sense to do so for the good of the automotive brand as the road cars now have McLaren engines.

• 4 weeks later...

First practice completed in Brazil:

1. Lewis Hamilton - McLaren 1:14.131

2. Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull +0.009

3. Mark Webber - Red Bull +0.067

4. Jenson Button - McLaren +0.086

5. Fernando Alonso - Ferrari +0.261

6. Felipe Massa - Ferrari +0.585

7. Romain Grosjean - Lotus +0.588

8. Paul di Resta - Force India +0.607

9. Pastor Maldonado - Williams +0.884

10. Nico Hulkenberg - Force India +0.919

There was red & yellow which advise slippery conditions - there is no mandatory action required by drivers under red & yellow.

He came out the yellow zone, into green but then back into a yellow. Hard to say, but Koby pulled into the pits straight after.

The stewards made their decision and didn't even issue a bulletin, furthermore no one protested.

No case to answer?

Judge for yourself:http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12475/8282398/Race-stewards-insist-that-Sebastian-Vettel-overtake-was-made-under-yellow-red-flags

3:40 onwards.

If nothing else chance for a nice look at Georgie Thompson

Cheers for that. Would have been a shambles of a situation if he had then been demoted due to a yelliow flag infringement.

As it is, well done to Vettel and what a final race of a fantastic season. The script writers couldnt have done a beter job, Vettel gets spun and damaged, Alonso up to podium position, rain is on then off then on again. Superb. I was on the edge of my seat throughout as TBH i wouldnt have minded if Alonso had won either. Both very worthy. In fact Alonso probably more so as he has got so much more out of that Ferrarri than was really possible.

Pity Button didnt just pip hamilton on points in the end as im a bit fed up with hamilton TBH.

• Like 1

What a dramatic finale! Gutted that Alonso couldn't quite clinch it, but it was a long shot for him.

I know it's easy to what if and all that after the season is over, but I feel that this was Hamilton's season and Mclaren, through pit stops and unreliability let him down.

Can't wait for next season, only 108 days to go till the Oz GP :rofl: .

What a dramatic finale! Gutted that Alonso couldn't quite clinch it, but it was a long shot for him.

I know it's easy to what if and all that after the season is over, but I feel that this was Hamilton's season and Mclaren, through pit stops and unreliability let him down.

Can't wait for next season, only 108 days to go till the Oz GP :rofl: .

I get the feeling that Hamilton seems to feel its his god given right to win for championships. You have to earn these im afraid Hamilton. Look at what Alonso did with an underperforming Ferrari yet he doesnt get all moody and start bitching. Hamiltons comments regarding Jenson and the whole facebook incident just show him for what he is - a spoilt child.

Agree i cant wait for next season. Lets see how Hamilton likes it in the Merc.

That's if he likes it at all - the inside line is that Sam Michael probably had a lot to do with Hamilton's departure (poisonous little **** were the exact words used ...)

When Ross developed the Brawn GP he had a lot of good people around him, those are no longer with him plus he made a lot of money from both Ferrari and selling to Merc and may not have the drive to win that he had when the car had his name on it.

Furthermore, Hamilton doesn't have the gravitas of Schumacher or Alonso and may struggle to build a team around him particularly as Rosberg's been established there for a while but I don't see him outqualifying LH - he has struggled to stay ahead of Schumacher at times and Hamilton's second only to Vettel in quali pace.

I'd like to see Lewis vs Michael vs Nico vs Seb with the same car and tyre choices. I'm going to suggest that the car should be either a Ferrari or a Force India since none of the 4 of them have driven either of those, with a light preference for the Ferrari because Seb is less familiar with the Mercedes engine characteristics.

Agree about Hamilton probably not being a good driver to build a team around. Jenson is so much better in this respect. You know exactly what you are getting from him but who knows what mood hamilton will be in from one week to the next. Remember when he and Nicole split up he was next to useless on the track. This kind of unpredictability is the worst thing for a team. Jenson is rock solid and you always get a consistent performance despite Hamilton probably edging him in all out ruthlessness.

I think Jenson will really bring the best out of Perez. I cant wait to see how that pairing shapes up. Rosberg and Hamilton??? Cant see much "sharing" of ideas in that pairing. They will both be fighting tooth and nail to be no.1. This can be productive too but if Rosberg beats Hamilton then sit back and watch the toys fly out the pram.

Edited by Jockdooshbag

Coopa, did Sam say so about Ham or the other way around? Knowing Ham's father I'd bet on Sam passing that comment :) - I never knew Lewis properly, a word here or there in the passing but never a proper conversation .Nico and Lewis go waay back to the early karting days. They worked together, spent lots of time together and know what to expect from one another - hence Nico being rather nervous after the announcement ;).

They will be building the car for LH or he will exercise non-performance clause and bugger off To Ferrari at the end of Fernando's tenure there. Alonso is fed up and disappointed with maranello

But he's a pro of Jb's calibre and will not start squeezing sour grapes out in the public.

JB is a 100% pro with excellent work ethics. Not as fast and talented as LH but... I can't wait to see what Perez will do with Macca next year!

As for the racing in equal kit they do lots of karting events and it cannot get anyone equal than this:).

Pity Button didnt just pip hamilton on points in the end as im a bit fed up with hamilton TBH.

I think you will find that over the period both drivers have been together at Mclaren that

jenson actually has more points total.

There's no "think" about it Scribbler - it's fact:

Covering the seasons 2010 to 2012 inc - JB: 672 points, LH: 632 points.

and we know what points make........................

Coopa, did Sam say so about Ham or the other way around?

No Sam made the comment about Lewis - understandable though. Lewis and Nico do go back a long way - karting, Euro GP series etc and they have a good relationship off circuit too.

No Sam made the comment about Lewis - understandable though. Lewis and Nico do go back a long way - karting, Euro GP series etc and they have a good relationship off circuit too.

If their respective form in the lower formula's is anything to go by and the new F1 merc 2013 isn't a bag of nails then Nico will stand NO chance and will quickly be adopting a supporting role to Hamilton. Nico got his drive because of his father, one win isn't enough to convince me of consistent ability.

However i have a feeling Ross brawn has a clever gadget up his sleeve for next years cars that they have demo'd to lewis to persuade him to leave Mclaren. Having said that i think Renaults engine will dominate when we get the Turbos back. So all change for the front runners i think and Ferarri will be left by the wayside having entirely focused on V8,V10 & V12's. I can see a VW/Audi engine being thrown into the supplier mix at somestage, but not for a few years yet.