Rob's 2004 Octavia vRS

RobClubley

Original fuel pump is the standard 3 BAR one. The replacement is a Leon Cupra R 4 BAR. Not new though, so looks like it's not up to the job.

It's annoying because for some reason the fuel pump never occurred to me even though it's one of the changes I made.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had another thought Rob, have you changed the standard Fuel Pressure Regulator to a 4bar to match the 4bar Fuel Pump? Maybe the standard FPR isnt letting enough fuel through to cope with the new higher boost?

Yep. I had a 4 BAR with the old injectors and map.

I've tried going back to the stock injectors, 3 BAR FPR and stage 2 map. It ran super-lean and farted and banged like a gun going off!

So I swapped to the 4 BAR - still running lean but it drove better.

I want to drive it 1500km round trip to Auckland in 3 weeks to a car show. So my thought is to spend another week troubleshooting remotely with Shark, then if we can't get it right, say screw it and go with the local tuner, grit my teeth and pay the big money.

This is all so frustrating with the time delay and remoteness.

At least then I could just turn up at the tuner's with my various spares in a box and we can tune the software and do diagnostics there and then.

I just want to drive my car!!

I would just go back to the k03s stage 2 and sell the kit

For the money your gonna spend you will be disappointed IMO as its an early cr unit and there not the best and will only see about 20 to 30morr bhp on your car

Save your money go back to the well setup stage 2 you had before !!

• Like 1

Progress!!

I swapped to 4 BAR FPR and it was better but still lean.

So I put the stock MAF housing back in (2.5" instead of 3") and it's now running properly.

This makes sense of course as the stage 2 map expects a 2.5" MAF so the air flow it read with a 3" one would have been miles out - more air coming in than it though = lean running.

So the problems are down to the new map not being right for the 3" MAF and TT injectors.

It feels very quick now :D

Waiting for a response from Shark. This is where it gets difficult, tweaking the map properly with the distance and time difference.

• Like 3

Result, well done for the persistence rob!!!

I would have given up a long time ago!!!

Hope you can get it running right and enjoy the car, there is nothing worse than even a rattle that's annoying let alone a poor running engine after sooo much work and money!

Pretty sure this stuff is supposed to stay inside the engine.

9178737902_16256b069b_b.jpg

I sat idling for a while, and coolant sprayed out from the coolant temp sensor.

Will pull it out when car cools and see if anything looks funny, but the clip is still in place. Weird.