Miles Per Gallon

oriki

I travelled 900 miles over Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

Friday was Liverpool to St Davids, Pembrokeshire via Newtown and The Elan Valley. Saturday was St Davids to Cardiff and back to St Davids and yesterday it was St Davids to Central London then home to Liverpool.

I like to make progress when I am motoring 'generally' within the limits imposed and where conditions allow. I stick to around 75 on motorways and as near to the national speed limit on A & B roads.

For the 900 miles I averaged just under 38 mpg. I am sure I could easily improve that figure by 3 - 5 mpg but as I say I like to make progress.

The number of motorists who dawdle around 50 in a 60 limit is amazing. They are often blissfully unaware of the ever increasing queue building up behind them.

My Son has strict instructions to take the car off me if I ever get like that!!!

Peter

PS. The road from Newtown to Rhyader and then via the Elan Valley to Lampeter is stunning.

Why do some people think that the speed limit on different roads ( ie, 30, 50, 70 etc ) is the speed you should do. It is the MAXIMUM speed allowed, not what you should drive at.

Why do some people think that the speed limit on different roads ( ie, 30, 50, 70 etc ) is the speed you should do. It is the MAXIMUM speed allowed, not what you should drive at.

Road Traffic laws are like all others, obeyed by all when they command general respect or accord with generally held morality. So while I'd expect universal adherence concerning Murder, Rape,Assault and Theft, and many other similar morally unacceptable actions my experience of life is that people sometimes pull up on a yellow line to drop something off in a shop or drive at near 80 on the motorway where the road conditions permit.

When it comes to regulatory offences people are entitled to breach them provided they are prepared for the consequences, a parking ticket or a fixed penalty.

Since many people have speedos reading approaching 10% over the true road speed I do notice people sticking to 63-5 mph who no doubt believe they are at the maximum allowed speed.

My own view is that 70 mph is a reasonable speed in reasonable conditions, too fast if the road surface is rain/ice affected or the road crowded or if visibility is poor. On a clear road in good conditions it is entirely suited to the average vehicles it was intended for, cross ply tyres, drum brakes and all.

If your view is that once you are doing what you believe to be the maximum those who would prefer to travel more quickly-say 75 like an earlier poster-should sit in line behind you bunching up until you decide to turn off then I'm afraid I disagree with you.

Edited by JCP

For a 4x4 brick on wheels, the fuel consumption is tolerable.

Why do i keep hearing this "brick"-word in this forum again and again? :wonder:

My daily driver is Mitsubishi L300 (here's mine: L300.jpg ), and compared to that the Yeti looks like an F1 B)

(Sorry, if a bit offtopic)

Edited by Hirundo

If it's the maximum allowed, then you're allowed to drive at it. If you drive significantly slower, you're likely to encourage overtaking (which can be dangerous) or get nicked by Plod, who see your "safe driving" as an indicator that you've been drinking.

In Scotland there are layby areas designated for people to pull into, if they're driving slowly, to allow people to safely go past without overtaking, which is great, as it avoids suicidal overtaking moves, from people being frustrated at another driver's interpretation of the laws.

Back to topic - I've got a 140 TDi Yeti, and it seems to be averaging 45mpg in real terms, with the pooter claiming about 52mpg. But I'm lucky in that I commute over a decent distance consisting of motorways and A roads.

I've owned loads of diesel cars so have reasonable experience in getting the best economy out of them. Despite its shape, the Yeti is amazing me with its economy.

Edited by Duck_Pond

The Pembrokeshire 40's & 50's are a thriving set of drivers, who drive no faster than 40 or 50 all round the county.

If they're anything like the ones in Scotland, they do 40 (maybe sometimes reaching 50, if they're feeling daring) everywhere, including through built-up areas, past schools, round blind bends etc etc

Ah, the oft-touted "it's a limit not a target" argument. It's true, but on its own is ultimately meaningless. If you offered someone a bag of money and said: "You can help yourself to a MAXIMUM of £100," how much do you think they would take? Similar words do appear in the Highway Code (rule 146) but they are preceded by: "Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on," and immediately qualified by: "It is often not appropriate or safe to drive at the maximum speed limit." Context is important.

The majority of road users are on their way somewhere. A key aim, however enjoyable or otherwise the journey itself may be, is to minimise the time spent travelling (it is, after all, one of the main reasons to use motorised transport in the first place) while remaining safe, not costing themselves too much money and [one would hope] staying within the law. It thus seems to me to be entirely reasonable to want to drive at the speed limit if it is safe to do so.

That said, I have no problem at all with people driving in a more leisurely fashion in order to enjoy the view, reduce their stress level, save fuel or whatever, so long as they comply with Highway Code rules 168 and 169 in particular. (I believe there are some states in the US where you are legally obliged to pull over if there is tailback of more than a certain number of vehicles behind you.)

Edited by ejstubbs

The Pembrokeshire 40's & 50's are a thriving set of drivers, who drive no faster than 40 or 50 all round the county.

I was behind one through my lanes on Saturday on my way to Haverfordwest. No opportunity to overtake at all. The benefit was that when I reached Morrisons car park after 7 miles I had averaged 48.8 mpg!

I have just filled up this morning (remembering to put diesel in - my first diesel!) after having the car for a week and the Maxidot says 44.2mpg. Not bad at all considering I was 'trying it out' a bit.

I love this car and the DSG box! :rofl:

Having lived there for forty odd years, I would say 40/50mph is about right for Pembrokeshire roads.

Road Traffic laws are like all others, obeyed by all when they command general respect or accord with generally held morality. So while I'd expect universal adherence concerning Murder, Rape,Assault and Theft, and many other similar morally unacceptable actions my experience of life is that people sometimes pull up on a yellow line to drop something off in a shop or drive at near 80 on the motorway where the road conditions permit.

When it comes to regulatory offences people are entitled to breach them provided they are prepared for the consequences, a parking ticket or a fixed penalty.

Since many people have speedos reading approaching 10% over the true road speed I do notice people sticking to 63-5 mph who no doubt believe they are at the maximum allowed speed.

My own view is that 70 mph is a reasonable speed in reasonable conditions, too fast if the road surface is rain/ice affected or the road crowded or if visibility is poor. On a clear road in good conditions it is entirely suited to the average vehicles it was intended for, cross ply tyres, drum brakes and all.

If your view is that once you are doing what you believe to be the maximum those who would prefer to travel more quickly-say 75 like an earlier poster-should sit in line behind you bunching up until you decide to turn off then I'm afraid I disagree with you.

I do agree with what you say, but, it should be happening under the 70mph limit, or there is no point having a speed limit.

I also think that a part of the driving test ( would have to be done on private road ) should be an emergency stop from 70mph, it would make a lot of people realise what speed is, much better than quoting stopping distances that have been learned parrot fashion.

• Like 1

Having lived there for forty odd years, I would say 40/50mph is about right for Pembrokeshire roads.

Oh go on, you could get up to 60 (ish?) up the hill from Merlin's Bridge on the way to Milford if you tried!

Though you do have to watch out for Mr. P.Lod who may be parked towards the top of the hill with his little camera!

• Like 1

I do agree with what you say, but, it should be happening under the 70mph limit, or there is no point having a speed limit.

I also think that a part of the driving test ( would have to be done on private road ) should be an emergency stop from 70mph, it would make a lot of people realise what speed is, much better than quoting stopping distances that have been learned parrot fashion.

How accurate are the stopping distances quoted in the highway code? drum brakes, cross ply tyres etc, I am sure we have all had that feeling where the traffic in front stops quick and you are still barreling along!

I travel a lot and try to keep up with the flow of traffic, on a motorway this is usually around 80mph, A roads are held up by HGV's doing 40! The queue of cars behind can't pass safely because of the way they all bunch up with no gap and the n to confident driver who can't drop a gear or two and pass safely on a straight.

Anyway MPG, which this thread is about, the more worn my tyres got the worse the mpg, drive steady it goes up and drive on the motorway in a head wind, mpg goes down, as low as 35!

I'd have though that even at those speeds, after forty odd years you should have crossed the border and escaped by now!

• Like 1

Well, I'm increasingly one of those motorists. It saves a fair amount of fuel to travel at 50 rather than 60, considering that drag increases with the square of the velocity, and the price of fuel these days has forced many more people to drive at a speed commensurate with the consumption that they want to achieve.

But I do hate a building queue and I normally speed up to the limit if there's anyone behind me . . . unless it's one of those prats who thinks that they have to hold close formation at 2m from my bumper, when I am likely to slow down suddenly . . .

Chris

I'm told that braking with the left foot and accelerating with the right does tend to discourage people from ogling the Yeti badge too closely :giggle:

Not that I've tried it of course...........

How accurate are the stopping distances quoted in the highway code? drum brakes, cross ply tyres etc, I am sure we have all had that feeling where the traffic in front stops quick and you are still barreling along!

Accident investigators still use the highway code. Yes we all know that modern cars can stop quicker, but the operator needs to notice what is in front of them and I personally think that has got worse over the years :rofl: So all in all, still about the same.

As I'm based in London the one I use the most is 23m at 30mph. That is quite a long way - about 5 car lengths.

You should drive at a sensible speed taking into account the law, your vehicle, your ability, the road conditions, visibility and other road users....including cyclists and horse riders etc.Don't put at risk yourself or others with silly braking antics.Think of others whose journey time may be very important.

My real gripe is the ability or lack of it of many drivers. My dad used to say 'I wouldn't let them drive my wheelbarrow'. I often repeat it.

• Like 1

Emergency stops from 70mph during a driving test!!

Only if you try it first, sitting in the passenger seat whilst a nervous average candidate tries to steer straight at the same time as stopping.

Most of them find it difficult to control a car under emergency braking from 30 mph so god knows what would happen if they did have to attempt it from 70!?!?

why am I worrying? It will never happen.

No H&S risk assessment would ever be favourable

Arnolds hill used to be the place years ago, or after going around the corner at the Spec up the hill and hard braking before the power station/Texaco turn off.

CFB.   Exactly my point, thats why PRIVATE ROAD was emphasised. Have you ever had to do it? if not try it sometime. "Most of them can't control it at 30mph" now doesn't that tell a story.

JamesI, I find your post quite sad, why do you have to keep up with traffic doing 80mph? they are all breaking the law. HGV's doing 40mph, what speed do you want them to do on A roads, they are driving safely for a profession, which you obviously don't care about.

As this thread was about mpg, driving style is the main factor, not the vehicle or engine size.

• Like 1

CFB.   Exactly my point, thats why PRIVATE ROAD was emphasised. Have you ever had to do it? if not try it sometime. "Most of them can't control it at 30mph" now doesn't that tell a story.

Anzio, it would make no difference where it was going to be done. Public road, private road, airfield, i still wouldn't go anywhere near a learner trying it and I'm paid to.

It is more about the lack of ability due to lack of good training than the exercise it's self.

And yes I have had to do it for real, when a man jumped from a motorway bridge right in front of my car some years ago!!

No ABS then, but it is surprising how quickly you can stop when you HAVE to.

That is all!

JamesI, I find your post quite sad, why do you have to keep up with traffic doing 80mph? they are all breaking the law. HGV's doing 40mph, what speed do you want them to do on A roads, they are driving safely for a profession, which you obviously don't care about.

As this thread was about mpg, driving style is the main factor, not the vehicle or engine size.

I keep up with the flow as I have many miles a week to do so as I can visit my customers, also because when it is easier than slowing down and speeding up to overtake slower vehicles on the motorway or dual carriageway.

As for HGV's doing 40 mph on A roads, I do feel this is too slow, I have family who drive HGV's and I also have a mate who runs 35 tippers, all agree that 40 mph is too slow. My Father ran a truck in the USA for 12 years and they can run at 75mph in states that have the higher speed limit.

Speed is dangerous if not controlled, I do not drive fast if conditions do not allow it and will always leave a safe distance between me and the car in front, I am by no means reckless but when driving 45K per year sometimes you have to move on!

Arnolds hill used to be the place years ago, or after going around the corner at the Spec up the hill and hard braking before the power station/Texaco turn off.

Back in the late 1960's I overtook a car going down there.....................................on a pushbike!!

You could get more than 30 going down Barn St on the way home from school!!

• Like 1

Off topic slightly, but there are many hills around here where to can exceed 50mph on a bicycle. Can be scary!!!!

One of the best is the descent into Brighton from Ditchling Beacon, clocked over 50 going down that a few times.

Back on topic.

It was very economical!!!!

• Like 1

As for HGV's doing 40 mph on A roads, I do feel this is too slow

Around these parts, bearing in mind we have don't an inch of motorway and barely any dual carriageways, The vast majority of hgv's of all categories, consistently drive at more than 40mph on roads that are rated 50 or 60. Which is just as well otherwise there would be big queues behind with no opportunity to overtake.

My 170 Tdi 4x4 is showing 44.5 on "trip 2" which is up to about 2500miles & I regularly see the current "trip 1" up around 46 to 48 on longer (10 miles+) drives using a cross section of roads, but sometimes down around 40 if in town. This doesn't seem too bad to me, the car has now done 7000 miles & I ran it in really carefully, but I can't say I've seen any great increase in fuel efficiency yet. I do use the performance of the car when needed ("A" road overtakes, motorway slip roads from a standstill, etc) but don't cruise above 75 on the motorway. I always run my cars from brim full to an indicated empty & calculate the fuel consumption for each tank full (it's a mind set from the job - 'ongoing engine condition monitoring' I convince myself!) In the Yeti I average about 520 miles on a tank, (normally around a 55 litre refill) which normally calculates out at around 42mpg. So I guess there's a little optimism going on with the trip computer. Not quite as optimistic as my old Alfa 156 2.4 20v JTDm mind! (Yes it did used to work long enough to give me an average over a full tank!!-most of the time!LOL) I appreciate that you're still at the mercy of the accuracy of the trip / odometer / speedometer / tyre wear etc. but it's the trend averages I'm more interested in than the actual figure. I'm happy!