Manual or DSG vRS ?

Will be changing car this year and most likely will be another vRS cr170

Current one is 6 spd manual

Discovered today that the DSG is cheaper than I originally thought and is probably now affordable for me.

What are your opinions on both?

Ned to know the Pro's and the Con's

Thanks

Try it, I have always been absolutely anti-auto, that is until I drove the DSG, absolutely loved it straight away!! as always it is a very personal taste, some love it some loathe it but I would say dont be put off by some of the nay sayers, try it yourself, it works brilliantly and barey impacts on fuel consumption over the manual

Suggest you drive one - the manual 6 is ok (not brilliant) and clutch seems to be a weak spot

Hence I drive Dsg (second Dsg car) but petrol.

I have a DSG and I love it, you get a much more relexed drive when your in rush hour traffic, if you havent tried one you need to give it a go,

I drove from Germany to Plymouth, (thats over 500 miles) in my VRS diesel DSG and acording to the trip computer I was doing 50.7 to the gallon.

Roundabouts are the only downside where you need to be in S or Manual mode for sprightly moves. Reverse parking is much slower in the DSG than a manual but not a problem. I do tend to avoid reverse parking up a hill but I have not found that a problem even when on quite steep slopes and into small spaces.There is a massive upside and as Nige400 pointed out the economy does not really suffer either.

I really love my DSG too.

Pros- relaxing to drive, ensures mechanical sympathy/ covers for poor driving technique ( I'm thinking ahem my spouse), 7 speed, extras like hill hold etc.

Cons- in theory uses slightly more fuel although I doubt that as you are more likely to be in an appropriate gear more of the time in the DSG, more expensive to fix if faulty and is one more thing to go wrong, small additional service cost as DSG needs oil change periodically. Initial cost.

In truth I would recommend it for anyone not doing huge mileage like taxis where huge mileage and cheap maintaince are king.

The main downside I think is just the initial cost.

I also second what TsvRS says about roundabouts although I don't consider it a downside as I just slip it into tiptronic and knocked it down a couple of cogs.

As everybody says, try it, I have a DSG and have ordered my second one, wouldnt go back to a manual now out of choice to be honest but it is a personal choice, have a try in one, thats the only way, my wife was always 'no, I will only have a manual etc etc' now she is totally converted!

My only thing would be I wouldnt want to own one out of warranty, no particular reason other than they will be expensive to repair should they go wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

You see I did drive a DSG octavia 140 L&K for a couple of months while waiting for my vRS to arrive.

While I had it I sort of hated letting it go back and did miss it for a few days, but once I got into the swing of things with the manual again I loved the car. I only wondered about long term driving as I did find on journeys that while it was relaxing to sit there and steer I did also find it dead boring.

horses for courses - I have a manual 'cos I like using the gears (how sad is that :) ) - no denying the mechanical wizadry of the DSG though.

And if I ever sell the kids and buy a 458 I will happily leave the world of gears...

• Like 1

I always had manual cars, I drove my brothers Fab VRs and was hooked straight away. When it came to ordering the new car DSG was first on the list. I have loved every minute of it.

If I need to over take just use the paddles to drop it down and its instant. Worth every penny, a must have for the CR Tdi. imo.

I've had my DSG for just over 2 years and get on with it very well.

Yes you be in the wrong gear when powering out of roundabouts, and reversing up hill or on grass can be awkward.

There is one downside though:

I had to move my sister's manual car the other day.

It was a nightmare, couldn't feel the clutch bite point, kept stalling it, kangaroo jumps, grinding gears etc !

When I went to the dealer last week I drove both the manual and DSG cr 170 and the manual was ok, but the DSG was much more fun. I brought the DSG, just waiting with the delivery :-(

PS. Standard DSG cr 170 should cost more than £18k new with no options.

I had a DSG for 24000 miles on my Octy. The first 6000 'novelty value' miles were a delight. I then got bored of the DSG flaws and hesitations and often jumped into my Fiat Scudo van to go to the shops as I prefered a manual that much. Im now in a manual car and pleased I got shut of my DSG. Mine was plagued with a fault which has now been cured under warrenty but I was told the bill outside of warrenty was around £1700.00. I dont have that dort of money to fix a fault.

• Like 1

I bought my vRS last March. I took the DSG out for a drive - and simply didn't like it.

I went back a week or so later and took the DSG out again and really tried to like it - still couldn't.

So I bought manual and in no way regret that choice at all.

• Like 1

I absolutely love my DSG. When you accelerate hard from a standstill, the speed of the gear changes really puts a smile on your face.

Although sometimes gear selection may be wrong on a roundabout, if you floor the throttle the downshift is so fast that it kind of makes up for it.

Roundabouts are the only downside where you need to be in S or Manual mode for sprightly moves. Reverse parking is much slower in the DSG than a manual but not a problem. I do tend to avoid reverse parking up a hill but I have not found that a problem even when on quite steep slopes and into small spaces.There is a massive upside and as Nige400 pointed out the economy does not really suffer either.

I found that with DSG in my previous Octavia - 140bhp PD Diesel - was 'hesitant' at a roundabout, i.e. you put your foot down to enter the roundabout and it hesitates for a second or two, thus loosing the initiative with approaching traffic, and then it shoots off like 's--t off a shovel' when the turbo cuts in. However, my current Octavia has the later 140bhp CR Diesel engine with DSG and that takes off with no hesitation at all and as smooth as silk. But try it out for yourself.

Mac

DSG is extremely clever. It nearly always knows what I want and learns your mood on any particular day.

I have not personally noticed problems at roundabouts.

Last thing, a DSG car is quicker than a manual one.

Last thing, a DSG car is quicker than a manual one.

Care to explain exactly what you mean by this? I think I know what you mean, but would like to see what you meant before I comment.

I'd like to see anyone driving a manual matching the shift speed of DSG. Impossible.

I agree but put 6 busy roundabouts in the way and ill see you in my rear view mirror!!

• Like 1